When the yearly tax and checkup goes totally wrong...

teacherclaire

On 12/21/2020 at 1:35 PM, Spatiumus said:

I think his point was that by law a registration plate must not be obscured, which yours is, regardless of whether a camera managed to get the number.  And the first examiner was right about the position your spots were mounted.   Don't blame the examiners for doing their job!

This truck was once owned by the boss of the local Transport Department. Of course is that no excuse. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Loved the photo from 'digger70', as I'm an ex-digger (ex army) and rapidly hitting 70, but with a much younger Thai (CM) missus who keeps reminding me of just how lucky I am. Bullbars and driving lights have their place. It's called Australia. I killed about six or seven kangaroos, when driving my old Holden at night at speed in Oz in the eighties. Both these extras would have saved me a shedload of $ if installed. It is much harder to register a vehicle here. After 25 years in CM, it is just not possible here to "sling the bloke 1K baht" ! Believe me, pollution check and all, rego is a 'whiz' in LOS. I paid just under a million baht recently for an almost 60 y.o. 'one owner'  Holden ute (pickup in LOS) but, registration and road-tax/insurance was another 30K baht. Worth every $, as it will outlive me - assuming of course that petrol is still for sale, thirty years from now. I drove back from Chiang Rai to CM on border runs every three months for over twenty years, mostly at night and survived. I reckon driving in LOS aged me an extra 20 years, so buying a much older truck was justified. Merry Christmas and safe driving to all expats in LOS.

• Like 1

Obscuring the registration is a failure. Locals probably remove the bull bar before the test.

Just because I've never actually seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've never seen a Mitsubishi (triton) diesel motor with a tachometer that shows higher than 6,000 rpm. Usually with a red line of 4,000 rpm. Designed governance would prevent exceedance of the stock envelope  limits.

If your motor can produce 7,000 rpm, it's most likely that modifications have been made. And it would smoke like a volcano as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Loved the photo from 'digger70', as I'm an ex-digger (ex army) and rapidly hitting 70, but with a much younger Thai (CM) missus who keeps reminding me of just how lucky I am. Bullbars and driving lights have their place. It's called Australia. I killed about six or seven kangaroos, when driving my old Holden at night at speed in Oz in the eighties. Both these extras would have saved me a shedload of $ if installed. It is much harder to register a vehicle here. After 25 years in CM, it is just not possible here to "sling the bloke 1K baht" ! Believe me, pollution check and all, rego is a 'whiz' in LOS. I paid just under a million baht recently for an almost 60 y.o. 'one owner'  Holden ute (pickup in LOS) but, registration and road-tax/insurance was another 30K baht. Worth every $, as it will outlive me - assuming of course that petrol is still for sale, thirty years from now. I drove back from Chiang Rai to CM on border runs every three months for over twenty years, mostly at night and survived. I reckon driving in LOS aged me an extra 20 years, so buying a much older truck was justified. Merry Christmas and safe driving to all expats in LOS.

Thanks for your post, sir. You'll easily turn 100, then another 20 years and your car is an old-timer.

The bumpers are rubber coated and were bought by the Ex boss of the local Transport Department.

The same guy who cleared countless luxury cars that are still on the road these days.

To be hones, I wouldn't be surprised to see kangaroos in Thailand, nothing seems to be impossible here.

Have a great Christmas and a much better New year 2021!  

1 hour ago, alacrity said:

Obscuring the registration is a failure. Locals probably remove the bull bar before the test.

Just because I've never actually seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've never seen a Mitsubishi (triton) diesel motor with a tachometer that shows higher than 6,000 rpm. Usually with a red line of 4,000 rpm. Designed governance would prevent exceedance of the stock envelope  limits.

If your motor can produce 7,000 rpm, it's most likely that modifications have been made. And it would smoke like a volcano as a result.

Thanks for your post. There were a few modifications made and it's not the triton, it's the model before the 2.8 liter Strada L 200. It has the newer front with the bigger headlights.

The red zone starts at 5,000 RPM and 6,000 is already a torture for this type of engine. The Diesel pump doesn't have a regulator to make sure that nobody is destroying the engine which seems to be the problem.

Perhaps it was 6,999 RPM's, I sat outside, but when you hear the timing chain knuckling on the sidewalls, it's very close to a serious engine damage. ( A double "Duplex" chain)

I personally love the power of the 2,840 cc engine. It says 165 km/h in the papers and that's easily doable.

These engines had a design flaw and black smoke is often to see, even with an overhauled Diesel pump and new nozzles. The fix is to take the vacuum hose of this wanna be Turbo system. 

And that without a Turbo. It only has this half Turbo system where unburnt Diesel gets back into the combustion chambers. Nice holidays for you and thanks for your post. 

13 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, the M.O.T guys may have been told to get their act together and do what they are supposed to do. ????

Trans, if you're used to do that year by year and you never had any issues and then you have two different guys with different opinions, then you might ask yourself a few questions.

I don't buy the guy's message that high beamers have to have the same height as the headlight?

I've had the same set up in Europe under much stricter circumstances and didn't have a problem.

Don't you think that they should start to give new drivers a proper training first? Of course not the American way where the sheriff sits next to you and decides if you get the license. 

Please correct me when I'm wrong. Merry Christmas and a very Happy and much better 2021 for you and your loved ones. Stay healthy!!!!

• Like 1

My Ranger will qualify for its first inspection next February. I will pull the LED H4 lights and put the original incandescents back in. I will also pull the fuses on the LED light bar and the Kenworth air horns. Hopefully, this will distract from the bald tires.

As for your high-beamers being legal 'in Europe', they're probably illegal in Queensland but OK in WA. Do you see where we're going with this? Your homeland experience has as much relevance here as the opinions of two different Thai vehicle inspectors. It's a bit of pot luck while they try to enforce the regulations they've been happily ignoring for decades.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My Ranger will qualify for its first inspection next February. I will pull the LED H4 lights and put the original incandescents back in. I will also pull the fuses on the LED light bar and the Kenworth air horns. Hopefully, this will distract from the bald tires.

As for your high-beamers being legal 'in Europe', they're probably illegal in Queensland but OK in WA. Do you see where we're going with this? Your homeland experience has as much relevance here as the opinions of two different Thai vehicle inspectors. It's a bit of pot luck while they try to enforce the regulations they've been happily ignoring for decades.

Bald tires would be my more significant concern. I had the right looking tires on my bike, the rear with about 70 % profile.

Unfortunately, the rubber was as hard as some blue pill guys would like to be, and when I had to do an emergency stop, I was sliding along the road, and I still don't understand how I could not hit the girl who popped out of a small Soi.

Pulling your LED's fuses will not help you if you come to the wrong guy at the wrong time.

I wish you luck and hope you don't have to take them off or drive to a few places with an envelope..... 

TIT!

On 12/23/2020 at 10:23 PM, teacherclaire said:

Thanks for your post. There were a few modifications made and it's not the triton, it's the model before the 2.8 liter Strada L 200. It has the newer front with the bigger headlights.

The red zone starts at 5,000 RPM and 6,000 is already a torture for this type of engine. The Diesel pump doesn't have a regulator to make sure that nobody is destroying the engine which seems to be the problem.

Perhaps it was 6,999 RPM's, I sat outside, but when you hear the timing chain knuckling on the sidewalls, it's very close to a serious engine damage. ( A double "Duplex" chain)

I personally love the power of the 2,840 cc engine. It says 165 km/h in the papers and that's easily doable.

These engines had a design flaw and black smoke is often to see, even with an overhauled Diesel pump and new nozzles. The fix is to take the vacuum hose of this wanna be Turbo system. 

And that without a Turbo. It only has this half Turbo system where unburnt Diesel gets back into the combustion chambers. Nice holidays for you and thanks for your post. 

Just went off appearance regarding model, 2012 models were categorized as L200 Strada-Tritons. Never owned a Mitsubishi, nor would I choose to in the near future. The have  'love them' or 'hate them' aesthetics and I'm in the latter category, with an opinion that newer models are getting worse, not better. A style that is trending with Isuzu, Mazda and Toyota though.

Your technical data confuses me. Is your motor common rail or fuel injection?

2 hours ago, alacrity said:

Just went off appearance regarding model, 2012 models were categorized as L200 Strada-Tritons. Never owned a Mitsubishi, nor would I choose to in the near future. The have  'love them' or 'hate them' aesthetics and I'm in the latter category, with an opinion that newer models are getting worse, not better. A style that is trending with Isuzu, Mazda and Toyota though.

Your technical data confuses me. Is your motor common rail or fuel injection?

My truck is close to 25 years old, has a 2.8 liter Diesel engine with a type of Turbo system that only brings unburnt Diesel back into the chambers. The Triton was built after the Strada L 200. 

Mine was the "luxury version" with electric windows and you still see plenty of them on Thailand's roads.

I'm not kidding you, the rear brake shoes are still the first, never changed with 315,000 on the clock. I only had to change the two rubbers of the rear brake cylinders, each for 40 baht! Lol. 

These trucks were made of very good material, the engine has a double timing chain, not a belt.

Whenever I come to Mitsubishi, they always ask me why i don't buy a newer model. I love mine and dislike the newer models. More and more plastic and they look ugly.

And it's very fast, in the book is says 165 km/h top speed. 

I can put 1,050 kg on the back of my truck and I guess even more. I love it and I keep it serviced well. 

19 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

My truck is close to 25 years old, has a 2.8 liter Diesel engine with a type of Turbo system that only brings unburnt Diesel back into the chambers. The Triton was built after the Strada L 200. 

Mine was the "luxury version" with electric windows and you still see plenty of them on Thailand's roads.

I'm not kidding you, the rear brake shoes are still the first, never changed with 315,000 on the clock. I only had to change the two rubbers of the rear brake cylinders, each for 40 baht! Lol. 

These trucks were made of very good material, the engine has a double timing chain, not a belt.

Whenever I come to Mitsubishi, they always ask me why i don't buy a newer model. I love mine and dislike the newer models. More and more plastic and they look ugly.

And it's very fast, in the book is says 165 km/h top speed. 

I can put 1,050 kg on the back of my truck and I guess even more. I love it and I keep it serviced well. 

Older than I thought. Mitsubishi's I drove around that time were gasoline not diesel and weren't trucks. The trucks were Land-Cruisers. All driven foot to the floor in all gears.

If you're happy with the all-round performance, sticking with it is a smart move. Too many good vehicles get trashed in favor of the latest fashion accessory.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alacrity said:

Older than I thought. Mitsubishi's I drove around that time were gasoline not diesel and weren't trucks. The trucks were Land-Cruisers. All driven foot to the floor in all gears.

If you're happy with the all-round performance, sticking with it is a smart move. Too many good vehicles get trashed in favor of the latest fashion accessory.

There are not too many gasoline L 200's in Thailand. Diesel engines are much better, and Diesel oil was and is cheaper. 

. You're right, many others know of the high quality of these trucks, and you can see many newly painted ones with overhauled engines on the roads. 

If you keep it in good shape, it will never disappoint you. Very similar to classic Mercedes Benz.

I've had plenty of them. From a 1956 Ponton with a four cyl. 1900 cc engine to 230 with a six and 500's with eight cylinders. 

Almost impossible to kill, not even by a Thai.  

Many of the L 200 are still on the road, and I agree that the new ones are in no way as excellent as they once were. 

The forms these days look ugly to me, more and more cheap plastic <deleted> added, and they're in no way service friendly.