Thailand faces lockdown if outbreak cannot be contained - PM

webfact

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It looks like many people don't need an official lockdown. I just spoke to a restaurant manager. 50 cancellations for the next days...

I've just returned from Sakon Nakhon. It seems that many Thais aren't waiting for an official announcement. It was like a ghost town. Hardly anybody in Big C, no one eating at the food park and you could have walked down the middle of the road that runs past the store.

And we're about 600kls from the nearest Covid 19 hot spots!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, asiasurfer said:

Although I understand if many young people are annoyed with lockdowns and curfews... For me personally, it's actually quite nice. Finally there is some quiet in my bl**dy moban. 

I have no complain with lockdown in the present situation but im a single male person. 

5 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

I could see shutting down domestic travel for a week or two until they get things under control if they start to spread but locking down people and businesses in unaffected areas makes no sense

Checking  all vehicles on and off Phuket right now

Can't really blame them they don't have the resources to deal with a UK style break out. 

Australia just gone back into internal border lockdowns and that's just over 28 new cases 

For those especially from the UK that want to get back to Thailand I would be hopping a flight ASAP 

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It is not about you though. The real losers are the people who' will not be able work and therefore can't pay their bills and feed their children. Another lockdown will be catastrophic for many Thais. 

If a lockdown is inevitable, then the way to go should be a tier system like in the UK.  

Right. Because that has worked SO well in the UK. I’ve no idea why half the population there seems to moan like crazy about it, including the Mayor of Manchester who disputed proposed government restrictions.

clearly the PM here is invoking the specter of nationwide lockdown to scare people into co operating with the current restrictions. Thereby hopefully avoiding the need for it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Checking  all vehicles on and off Phuket right now

I’ve driven out and back in to Phuket a couple of times the last month. Always had my temp taken by the cops on the way in, no attention paid to the other occupants of the car however.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Yes very nice, we should keep covid restrictions forever.

Amazing world

I am not asking for a permanent curfew, i was noticing it had a pleasant side

unfortunately i am afraid covid is here forever, we need to live with it

and the world has never been amazing, it's a <deleted>ty hell hole most of the time

every generation has to deal with major problems, pollution, wars, virus,

overpopulation (The main problem, all the others problems are linked to that in a try

to reduce the global number by elimination) and so on

Edited by kingofthemountain

19 minutes ago, natway09 said:

So much for the PM & the Director of Health last week telling us "Don't Panic,"

Another shutdown now would decimate our business now still recovering from the last one

along with the landlord not interested tn any form of rent relief

Many people here in Phuket will be in the same situation if it where to happen, a friend of mine their landlord wasn't interested in any relief and another friend saw the writing on the wall he just walked away from it, so now the landlord has had no rent since the lockdown 9 months ago Jai Rai

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

Yes I agree, don't understand  why they  needed  to close the beach. 

It was all about ''showing the muscles'' and to prove the one supposed to be

in charge were doing something, the beach was probably the less risky place

in all Pattaya, a big open place with air wind and very few people on the sand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Just heard at least one person in Buriram now tested positive. So it seems the gaps  between north and south are slowly but surely being filled.

If you look at a Thailand's map Samut Sakhon\Bangkok and Buriram are pretty much on the same parallell line so it's probably more correct to say the gap between the center and the east is being filled

Edited by kingofthemountain

We have an outbreak of tests, not of the virusl. If the sample taken consists of 5 million influenza viruses and 3 single SARS-Cov2 viruses, you are a Covid-case. 
Those tests DO NOT say if anyone is infected or transmits the virus. It also doesnt say if the majority of the virus types in the sample is SARS-Cov2.
Rhino, Influenza, Corona, Noro-viruses are in whole or as DNA particles in most people, esp in the winter season. As long as you dont test anyone, it most probably will go unnoticed. 
If you would test every single person in Thailand, you will get 1 million +  "cases". 
The only reason why Thailand was "lucky" is, that no tests were done in large scale on healthy individuals. That is very easily statistical provable since every single country that did not do mass tests on healthy individuals did fare pretty well during this "pandemic" (Japan, Taiwan, Laos, Vietnam, most African countries) and also did not have an out-of-the-norm excess mortality.

Edited by btsfreak
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

they will flocks in mass in the hospitals

No they won't, due to the stigma attached to covid in these countries with so called low numbers.

People going to hospitals with flu like symptoms were being told to go home and take paracetamol. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Well, that wasn't expected at all....

Given that chances are high I will arrive in Thailand this weekend, what was the last lock down like? I remember there was a curfew, no nightlife, and random foreigners were busted throwing private parties - but were there more restrictions or could you at least go get food and supplies during the day?

We'll be in quarantine until mid-January anyway, but wondering what happens after...

You could get food and supplies in the day. After dark pretty much everything <deleted> down in CM including 711 (at 10).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Don't blame the migrants, blame the grubby officials taking money to sneak them in. 

You clearly have little understanding of how the system  works for migrants from neighboring countries.

There is such a shortage of workers for the menial jobs that Thais will not carry out that workers from such countries as Myanamar have no problem coming here, so there is no need to sneak in or bribe grubby officials.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand faces lockdown if outbreak cannot be contained - PM

Well that's bleeding obvious, the real question is how many numbers of infections and it what geographical regions would trigger one?

I think for now maximum testing in hot spots with localised lock-downs to curb movements of known areas.

All Xmas and new year events must be stopped, that would be a real disaster in the making.

A blow to everyone I know, but a national lock-down in January would be far worse.