New Standard Of Thai Food To Be Announced Next Year

New standard of Thai food to be announced next year

The National Food Institute will announce the new standard of Thai food by the beginning of next year, aimed at improving the food safety standards while ensuring that proper ingredients are used.

Mr. Yutthasak Supasorn, the Director of the National Food Institute, says his institute is cooperating with various education and research institutes in setting the new standard of Thai food. He says the new standard is called NFI STARE. He says it will oversee all food production processes and inspect the ingredients being used. Mr. Yutthasak expects the new standard will be enforced in the beginning of 2008, and it will be applied in food items with high values such as shrimps, fruits, and vegetables during the initial phase. At the same time, ingredients being used in 20 recipes such as tom yum goong, green curry, and pad thai will be checked to ensure their quality. However, it would be up to the government whether the inspection will cover the Thai restaurants in foreign countries.

Mr. Yutthasak says Thailand’s export will be affected after the United States has listed Thailand into its Priority Watch List, or PWL. Value-added taxes on Thai shrimps will be affected and Thailand will lose its competitive advantage.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 May 2007

What is the "Clean Food, Good Taste" program

Quoting:

In the year 1999, the Clean Food Good Taste Project in Support of Tourism and the Thai Economy is introduced to promote food safety and hygiene in food services. As the Department of Health has a role of promotion and protection of health and environment, it is concerned that food safety and control in food services is an important issue to promote safe and wholesome food for tourists. There is a necessity to improve food safety standards in food services to ensure that food does not caused diseases or health hazard after consumption. The project has a collaboration of multi-sectional party, which are the Food Sanitation Division of Health Department Ministry of Public Health, the Ministry of Interior, and the Tourism Authority of Thailand. The project aims to improve safety conditions of food in all food services such as restaurants, street foods, and other food services. This also provides a means of setting standards and exercising control in food services for the safety of consumers.

Additional information here:

http://foodsan.anamai.moph.go.th/eng/clean...food-page1.html

However, it would be up to the government whether the inspection will cover the Thai restaurants in foreign countries.

Thailand really flexing it's legal muscle in foreing policy. You-tube, then thel local restaruants in your home town! What's next?

A new chance for Thai officials to be bribed by restaurang owners. Every restaurang will bribe the official inspector and then pass the inspection with high marks. Come on, this is Thailand

I have always found reputable restaurants to be remarkably clean over the 20 years I have lived in LOS. :D

I have had far more upset stomachs outside Thailand than in it.

Each chef will have his own nuances of flavouring, as will regional variations.

Why on earth does the government need to get involved, mind you Bjorn may have hit the nail on the head.

As for enforcing such rules overseas.......................................

what planet do these officials come from. :o

However, it would be up to the government whether the inspection will cover the Thai restaurants in foreign countries.

Thailand really flexing it's legal muscle in foreing policy. You-tube, then thel local restaruants in your home town! What's next?

You need some more experience with TNNBPRD reports before ejaculating so prematurely.

You can't hold their interpretations so literal.

For example, their phrasing:

it will be applied in food items with high values such as shrimps, fruits, and vegetables

Are beans and corn and mangosteens and whatnot really high value food items?

They (TNNBPRD) mean well and strive to do their best with their reports, but you certainly need to take their reports with a boulder-size grain of salt and it's fruit-less (pun intended) to take their translations in much, if any, sort of reliability in terms of their literal meaning.

Edited by sriracha john

Well I am all for it. The food should have a standard at least for how hot it is. I propose the following standards.

Mild: Suitable for anyone including tourists who have not experienced Thai food.

Medium: For the more bold first timers. A slow burn develops to add essence to the flavor of the dish. Some mild eye watering may occur.

Hot: Not for beginners. The food takes on a life of it’s own and a ready supply of liquid should be within arms reach to quench the fire. Occasional double vision may occur during acclamation to this. Waving hands in front of the mouth are signs to others of this level.

Isaan: Only for the seasoned professional. Sudden burning followed by numbing of the face up to and including the eyes as sensory overload occurs. The flavor of the food is completely replaced with burning. Large quantities of liquid have little or no effect on quenching the fire. Being aware of the location of the nearest toilet is recommended as digestion can be rapidly accelerated. Note: Exit burning can be just as exciting. Loss of the ability to speak and see for a short time are signs of this level.

Weapons grade: Sudden realignment of the digestive track with Earth’s center of gravity.

A new chance for Thai officials to be bribed by restaurang owners. Every restaurang will bribe the official inspector and then pass the inspection with high marks. Come on, this is Thailand

:D :D

Did I miss something? :o

Yes : "restaurang" = "restaurant owned by farang".

:D

Therefore, with a "restaurang" the cow would produce more juicy "milk"...

As for the sentence : "it would be up to the government whether the inspection will cover the Thai restaurants in foreign countries". Of course, and as usual, it's the expression of their utter megalomany.

And their dirty ignorance of the world -and its rules- around Thailand.

I think this might be swedish or danish, but I may be wrong :-(

As Sri John mentioned, I also have no problems finding great tasting clean food, the only time I have ever got food poisoning was in Patts, from a mobile street vendor at 3 am (fish of all things), serves me right for being so drunk that I didn't care what I had to eat.

It sounds to me that a little adversity will do them good. Now that preferential treatment is being turned off in the US trade scene, they're going to actually have to ensure the quality of their products and be competitive. Adversity breeds innovation. Let's see if they can handle it.

New standard of Thai food to be announced next year

The National Food Institute will announce the new standard of Thai food by the beginning of next year, aimed at improving the food safety standards while ensuring that proper ingredients are used.

Mr. Yutthasak Supasorn, the Director of the National Food Institute, says his institute is cooperating with various education and research institutes in setting the new standard of Thai food. He says the new standard is called NFI STARE. He says it will oversee all food production processes and inspect the ingredients being used. Mr. Yutthasak expects the new standard will be enforced in the beginning of 2008, and it will be applied in food items with high values such as shrimps, fruits, and vegetables during the initial phase. At the same time, ingredients being used in 20 recipes such as tom yum goong, green curry, and pad thai will be checked to ensure their quality. However, it would be up to the government whether the inspection will cover the Thai restaurants in foreign countries.

Mr. Yutthasak says Thailand’s export will be affected after the United States has listed Thailand into its Priority Watch List, or PWL. Value-added taxes on Thai shrimps will be affected and Thailand will lose its competitive advantage.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 May 2007

Great. I guess I won't eat Thai food for another year.