Exchange Rate Today.

According to Thai web site BBk are buying Pound Sterling notes for 75.49Bht!

Has anyone actually got that?

I am holding my breath until next Tuesday, when the GBPs I am sending from UK to buy a house with, arrives at BBK for transfer into Bht.

When I agreed the price for the property, we estimated 69bht to the GBP, and this increase will make quite a bit of difference......

Come on fellas, ask your GFs to pray to good old Buddha that it keeps on going up!

PS. The Exchange Rate Section on this site is always blank?

Think its the selling rate which applies for you.......ie its how many bahts they will sell you for 1GBP ...the buying rate would be how many bahts you would have to give them for 1 GBP from them............the difference in rates being where they make thier cut. ..........pretty sure anyways!

Think its the selling rate which applies for you.......ie its how many bahts they will sell you for 1GBP ...the buying rate would be how many bahts you would have to give them for 1 GBP from them............the difference in rates being where they make thier cut. ..........pretty sure anyways!

Other way round.

LOL :o

So how is it really, which column are you looking at when importing funds?

The Buying Rate is what the bank pays you for the currency.

The selling rate is what they will sell that currency at if you want to buy it.

David,

Yes, it's the 'buying' rate you're looking for, i.e., what the Thai bank will 'buy' your British pounds for. If a Thai bank 'buys' 100 GBPs for x amount of baht, and 1 minute later you decide to 'sell' back all the x amt of baht, you'll get maybe 98 pounds back. The 'spread,' or forex profit margin, being the difference.

When wiring money, you usually get the telex rate. The following site shows 74.579 as the telex rate (as does the BB site) for 18 June.

http://www.bot.or.th/bothomepage/databank/.../exchange_e.asp

But this site shows one other figure that's useful -- the interbank exchange rate (in dollars, at this site). This is the very favorable rate used for ATM and credit card transactions; but it is disccounted by usually 1% for ATM transactions, and between 1 to 3% for credit card transactions, depending on the financial institution that issued your card.

The SWIFT rate (most telex transfers are between SWIFT coded institutions) is also the interbank exchange rate -- but only for huge sums of money that only Thaksin is familiar with. So, the telex rate is the one to watch for wire transfers -- and it's the rate in effect when the money arrives, not when sent.

According to Thai web site BBk are buying Pound Sterling notes for 75.49Bht!

Just who's trying to buy your pounds for 75.49bt? It's not Bangkok Bank (BBk?), as Lop's link shows. Is George Soros back in Thailand? :o

Does your overseas bank not decide your rate, and change it to baht on transfer?

Not if you want a half decent exchange rate. Always send your own currency when doing a wire transfer and let the receiving bank here in Thailand make the conversion. Understand some banks have a tic box for this so be sure to check. There can be a very large difference.

Does your overseas bank not decide your rate, and change it to baht on transfer?

Not if you want a half decent exchange rate. Always send your own currency when doing a wire transfer and let the receiving bank here in Thailand make the conversion. Understand some banks have a tic box for this so be sure to check. There can be a very large difference.

Absolutely right Lop....

BBk in London were going to give me 73bht per pound and send it to BBk in BKK.

But I checked it out and found that if I sent my Dosh in GBP to BBk in BKK they would give me much better rates.....Doing this I will probably be about £3/400

better off!.

As we have said previously, Nationwide do not charge for foreign withdrawls

from ATMs. So they are the one to go for.......

Thanks to all for the info. Your really are a smashing lot!