Enjoying Life In The West

geevlus

I've gor some friend living in Philippines. I understand that the expat life there is a lot better than in Thailand. You can own whatever you buy, land, house, etc etc. Seems to be no hassle there as it is in Thailand.

wrong, land ownership same as in Thailand. residence permit a breeze compared to Thailand.

Problem with the PI, you can't really go for the really cheap stuff as you are liable to have loads of hassles with the locals, whereas buying a cheap condo in Bangkok you would be more of an amusement than anything else.

The only thing I would miss about LOS, the women, and after 25 years and nearly being fifty they don't have the mind numbing importance that they used to. I could easily retire to Bangkok but probably won't bother, especially with global warning and superheated temperatures and flooding problems. I am actually so much more full of energy and life back in the UK, although I have never stayed for more than two months in a year, that the only thing stopping me is some complext tax situations; maybe next year.

As long as you have mortgage-free property in the UK, the cost of living isn't that bad even compared to LOS, excluding the cost of women, of course and the ultimate killer of divorce or child support.

Unfortunately, after LOS there isn't anywhere else in the region that appeals, and for self-employed people like myself who run minor businesses with zero overhead, few Western countries want to give out visas unless you hava a million dollars or so to invest, so the world is quite limited. As a Brit, I do have the whole of Euro land to play in, but I am useless at languages (in a tone deaf way that really infuriated past teachers) and without the incentive of lots of young Oriental women can't summon up much enthusiasm

And after all the Thai cons, etc., I do miss that sense of British fair play. I fancy a nice country retreat, long walks and... well, yes, how long before the boredom sets in? Probably be back to LOS for long winter holiday! And, sorry, after past experiences I won't be taking a Thai bride home with me!

I live in Thaialnd and I'm quite happy about my life here. I'm doing consultancy work around the world, traveling about 5 months per year. Anyway, Icould well leave Thailand for some of the neighbouring countries. I've gor some friend living in Philippines. I understand that the expat life there is a lot better than in Thailand. You can own whatever you buy, land, house, etc etc. Seems to be no hassle there as it is in Thailand. Have met quite a few expats thinking of moving due to the Thai (expat) law. I think Thailand is digging it'e own grave when it comes to attracting foreigners to move here. There is hard competiton coming up from Malaysia, Vietnam. Philippines, etc

I wish you were right. Unfortunately, Philippines have the same idiot prohibitions of Thailand about land and houses. Foreigners can buy only condos, and when I visited Angeles City there were no condos available at all (they were building them, and at outrageous prices).

Stupidity is not a Thai exclusive. It is well wide spread all over the world.

there is a time and place for everything. my first 25 years was in oregon, my second 20 years was in california. now, I just about completed 9 years here in thailand. next year, I am thinking of doing 3/3/6 - china/PI/thailand.

you only have so many years on this planet. do whatever makes you happy.

I wish you were right. Unfortunately, Philippines have the same idiot prohibitions of Thailand about land and houses. Foreigners can buy only condos, and when I visited Angeles City there were no condos available at all (they were building them, and at outrageous prices).

Stupidity is not a Thai exclusive. It is well wide spread all over the world.

Why is it stupid for relatively poor countries like Philippines or Thailand to protect their own citizen's land rights? Given the relativities in price and incomes, if they freed up land ownership rights for foreigners, every square metre would be snapped up by marauding foreigners, driving the price up and effectively putting it behond the reach of the locals.

Believe it or not, it is common practice of sovereign governments to put their own citizen's well-being ahead of those of already relatively well-to-do aliens.

Seems very reasonable to me.

I think Thailand has it about right. For the record, it is perfectly legal for a foreigner - any foreigner - to own up to one rai of land for home ownership purposes, if they are prepared to invest 40 million baht in government bonds. I can't speak for Philippines.

I am in almost the exact same position as the original poster. I have been spent most of my 20's in Thailand and am now in my early 30's. Every yr I go home to the USA for a month or more and the last few yrs the trips home have increased and it has actually come to the point where I dread coming back to Thailand. Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for this country and its people.

Its just that as I mature other things in life become important and my home country offers much more for me. I am in a long term relationship with a Thai and have many responsiblities here with kids etc. It has become tiresome to deal with visa hassles, pollution, insane traffic, constant scams, heat, annoying neighbors who constantly try to steal everything they can, etc. I know some of these things are also present in my home country, but it seems much easier for me to avoid them there.

These days it Thailand isn't nearly as attractive to me as a place to live, much less develop a career and raise a family. Not that I ever really considered it a good place for career or family. I guess its just that I have changed immensely over the yrs in regard to what I want out of life. I consider myself extremely lucky to have the option to pick up and leave. I am currently in the process of moving home and its still going to take a few more months to complete.

I would still recommend in an instant Thailand to guys who are retiring on a limited budget or anyone for that matter who wants/needs a few yrs off to relax and live in a different culture/country. That job Thailand does wonderfully. For somebody who isn't working or doesn't need to get up everyday and fight the traffic Thailand is hard to beat.

Thank Budda, I have an escape route...the thought of being "stuck" here and unable to return to the US is horrifying. At this point in my life it seems foolish to stay on here....so I will now go.

Everyone is different and I wish all the best of luck with their lives no matter where they choose to live.

I am in almost the exact same position as the original poster. I have been spent most of my 20's in Thailand and am now in my early 30's. Every yr I go home to the USA for a month or more and the last few yrs the trips home have increased and it has actually come to the point where I dread coming back to Thailand. Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for this country and its people.

Its just that as I mature other things in life become important and my home country offers much more for me. I am in a long term relationship with a Thai and have many responsiblities here with kids etc. It has become tiresome to deal with visa hassles, pollution, insane traffic, constant scams, heat, annoying neighbors who constantly try to steal everything they can, etc. I know some of these things are also present in my home country, but it seems much easier for me to avoid them there.

I'm in a similar situation... except that I feel at home both in Thailand and the US (for about a month each year)... in the LOS since age 21, and now 32. I find that I look forward to both coming back to the US and coming back to Thailand. I like the changing seasons back home, I like pumping my own gas once in awhile, I like gals in Jeeps wearing Umbro's, t-shirts, and baseball caps, I like water skiing on Lake Travis and Lake Austin, I like going to Longhorn football and baseball games, opening up in my Mustang on IH-35 (but only for short bursts because Mr. Trooper is always lurking), 6th Street (and SXSW if I'm lucky enough to be travelling around that time), etc.

I like that most of my family lives near each other in Thailand -that I see my parents AND grandparents every single day I'm here... and if I wanted to, I could see a good portion of my cousins/aunts/uncles every single week as well, I like that my cars are washed and wiped shiny every single day before I even see them, I like that so many places where people speak different languages (and not just with different accents) are a short plane ride away, I like that I don't need a radar/laser detector to avoid tickets, etc. One can go on and on both ways, and it's been done many times on TV.

I find that most things that annoy folks can be dealt with if only one allocated resources -whether mental or financial- towards dealing with these problems. IMO it's easier to "customize" one's life here than in the US because of the low cost of human resources, but in general you can do so anywhere you live.

Visa hassles? there's permanent residency and citizenship if one were only willing to jump through all the hoops.

Pollution? If you buy high enough "up" or far enough "out" and can afford to climate control your surroundings with air con and vegetation... you might not even notice that you're in the middle of a sprawling metropolis.

Traffic? Re-arranging your work or play schedule, hiring a driver, etc. and you might even forget there is such a thing called traffic.

Heat? There's no reason why you can't live your entire life at 25 degrees Celsius... and only expose yourself to the heat when you're playing tennis, golf, taking a hot bath or sauna, or moving between automobile/garage/house/shopping center, etc.

Annoying neighbors? Walls, dogs, security, etc.

:o

I'm in a similar situation... except that I feel at home both in Thailand and the US (for about a month each year)... in the LOS since age 21, and now 32. I find that I look forward to both coming back to the US and coming back to Thailand. I like the changing seasons back home, I like pumping my own gas once in awhile, I like gals in Jeeps wearing Umbro's, t-shirts, and baseball caps, I like water skiing on Lake Travis and Lake Austin, I like going to Longhorn football and baseball games, opening up in my Mustang on IH-35 (but only for short bursts because Mr. Trooper is always lurking), 6th Street (and SXSW if I'm lucky enough to be travelling around that time), etc.

I like that most of my family lives near each other in Thailand -that I see my parents AND grandparents every single day I'm here... and if I wanted to, I could see a good portion of my cousins/aunts/uncles every single week as well, I like that my cars are washed and wiped shiny every single day before I even see them, I like that so many places where people speak different languages (and not just with different accents) are a short plane ride away, I like that I don't need a radar/laser detector to avoid tickets, etc. One can go on and on both ways, and it's been done many times on TV.

I find that most things that annoy folks can be dealt with if only one allocated resources -whether mental or financial- towards dealing with these problems. IMO it's easier to "customize" one's life here than in the US because of the low cost of human resources, but in general you can do so anywhere you live.

Visa hassles? there's permanent residency and citizenship if one were only willing to jump through all the hoops.

Pollution? If you buy high enough "up" or far enough "out" and can afford to climate control your surroundings with air con and vegetation... you might not even notice that you're in the middle of a sprawling metropolis.

Traffic? Re-arranging your work or play schedule, hiring a driver, etc. and you might even forget there is such a thing called traffic.

Heat? There's no reason why you can't live your entire life at 25 degrees Celsius... and only expose yourself to the heat when you're playing tennis, golf, taking a hot bath or sauna, or moving between automobile/garage/house/shopping center, etc.

:D

Heng always gets it right. :o

Bye Bye

You will not be missed.

Thailand is not for everyone, thank goodness. :D

I left after 20 years, but would NEVER consider going back to the UK. :o

I'm surprised that someone of your good sense says he will not be missed, because you have no way of knowing whether it is a correct statement or not.Perhaps he will be missed greatly.The slightly aggressive tone of your post is however not entirely untypical of those who have burnt their boats.But again I have no way of knowing whether you fall into this category or not.

Many of those who left the UK many years ago have no real idea of how the country has been transformed, not always for the better by any means.It has however for those with the necessary determination, intellect and energy become a much much richer place to the point where most British expatriates in Thailand are third class citizens in wealth comparison.(The regular threads on this forum about how much is needed to live in the LOS make this point rather emphatically).However wealth isn't everything and many expatriates are genuinely happy here even if their pleasures in life are rather basic.To an extent I have burnt my boats and am reasonably content with my lot here, being particularly conscious that those that depend on me and value me most are here in Thailand.

But I would never rule out returning to England, at its best a wonderful country.

Heng always gets it right. :o

:D Thanks LDB, and I just want to say I know that not everyone can find a solution or balance and sometimes the ideal solutions won't be feasible for particular individuals. It is interesting though how many folks (I'm not saying the OP is necessarily doing so) feel the psychological need to post these 'types' of "________ isn't for me because of ________.....who's with me?" threads.

Heng,

Many thanks for your generous contributions

AND

If I may pick one more morsel from your brain,

When these immigrants first arrived (Chinese, Indian) under what circumstances/situations did they enter and stay in the country - such as visa's, investments, property (buy/rent), work/business. I'm just curious as to how they made a go of it as they seem quite successful - more so than say the westerners here. Are they doing something different that we westerners do not know about or are we just not - as you say - jumping through all the hoops. Is it as simple as jumping through all the hoops. And what are all the hoops - how diificult is it? Or is it just having - as you say - a good dependable family one can trust with the family money. And is it just because the majority of the westerners here are trying the route via the Isaan girls that has them up against a wall.

If you could enlighten us with some more of your wisdom - I and I am sure others would be very , very grateful.

MANY THANKS SIR!

After spending most of my twenties spending my time between the UK and Thailand I've come to the conclusion that for me, life in the west is best. I used to agonise over getting back to Thailand and really hated being in the UK when I returned home. My most recent trip to Los was for a month, a duty really as wifey wanted to see family and by the second week I wanted to go home to England, other than for family visits my Thai wife seems to be coming around to my way of thinking. I suppose the big question is - Why the shift in thinking? I don't know really, I'm starting to realise a life of pursuing meaningful goals seems to be more attainable in the West. Anybody beg to differ?

A nice post, but as you will come to realise, people's aims and hopes tend to alter over the years.

In a decade or so, having matured and perhaps become disillusioned with the rat race, you may see another side to a country where it is difficult to pursue these 'meaningful' goals, even if you want to.

Then again you may not - This is what makes life the eternal puzzle.

:o

A nice post, but as you will come to realise, people's aims and hopes tend to alter over the years.

The place you viewed with rose tinted spectacles as "home" may well have changed as well

by the time you get back there and view it for real.

I, like everyone, wish I could live in many places for many reasons . Ideally I would split my time at my favourite places - a certain part of the UK (where I come from; many good friends whom I miss) even though I have been in Thailand 20yrs. My cousins house in Canada which is one of my favourite places in the world (many good memoriesand breathtaking scenery and basically is one of the most perfect places). And then the rest of the time in Thailand with some spare time to travel around Europe or USA and see friends whose homes I have never visited.

There you have it my wish list! Thailand is a nice place but its a big world!!

All of this of course has to wait for retirement as its a packed schedule!