You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Drinkers.. Do you ever worry about the state of your Liver?

WineOh

Just now, Oldie said:

Only in the morning. 

Isn't that a bit early. What about the early morning "pick me up" before you start making silly thoughts?

I think the post luncheon Brandy is a more apt time to have such serious considerations!

2 or 3 years ago I forced myself to at least 10 dry days per month.

Last year I di 183 dry vs. 182 with beer.

This year I gave myself a limit of 150 beer days, which I can't reach (not enough days left).

2021 I plan a dry January, and maybe 120 beer days in total.

I enjoy drinking, I don't drink spirits or cheap beer, but I'm not a pish-head.

I stay fit and eat pretty healthy but I still plan an upper-abdomen ultrasound before I'm 50 (next June).... just to have a good look at it, but would like to give it time to recover before that ultrasound.

Happy New Mia, Y'all!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I hate gyms and I have no friends.

Best just crack open a can then eh.

People are different. I come from the Lacessit way of thinking where drink has never been that much fun so it's not difficult to stop. If you really enjoy it then maybe keep going but I aren't buying what the heavy drinkers are selling - that it's fun to drink so much each day. 

The thing about gym is you probably think of showoffs and leotards but if you just get under a bench press or hit the boxing bag it's fun and let's out frustration. Good luck.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

Many years ago, when I lived in Kent I used to work with a guy who bragged that quite often he drank twelve  pints a night.

Over the years, I kept in touch now and again. He had moved up to Yorkshire.

Anyway about 15 years ago, I was visiting that way and arrange to meet him.

I was quite amazed that when we went to the pub he was drinking orange juice. He told me that a few months ago  they had given him 16 pints of blood to keep him alive.

A year or so later, his wife let me know he had died.

18 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No worries, just take Milk Thistle tabs every day, Google it.

I have been hitting the booze almost everyday since I was 17 (in the army, in Germany) I'm now in my late 60s, I regularly drink 6 or more large bottles of beer,followed maybe by some red wine or G n T, absolutely not bothered by all the non drinkers pontificating about the evils of alcohol, I tell my Mrs that I retired he to have fun and enjoy myself in my retirement & maybe last 10 years or so, that was in 2011, still going strong ????????????????

Sorry to rain on your parade; however, IMO you are kidding yourself. While there is some evidence milk thistle helps with hepatic disease, I haven't been able to Google anything that indicates it is an alcohol prophylactic. Even if it was, at your level of daily intake you would need about ten tablets of milk thistle a day to counteract the effect of your imbibing. Perhaps you have never heard of Paracelsus.

The only ways you could ascertain your liver is still in good health are with blood tests and an ultrasound; however, I suspect you are one of those people that avoid doctors and hospitals in case they tell you what you don't want to hear.

I like a drink or two myself, but at your level of consumption the chances are pretty good reality is going to bite you hard. Unless you are one of those statistical outliers that can keep drinking until 100, being gifted with great genes.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have been hitting the booze almost everyday since I was 17 (in the army, in Germany) I'm now in my late 60s, I regularly drink 6 or more large bottles of beer,followed maybe by some red wine or G n T, absolutely not bothered by all the non drinkers pontificating about the evils of alcohol, I tell my Mrs that I retired he to have fun and enjoy myself in my retirement & maybe last 10 years or so, that was in 2011, still going strong ????????????????

All good then. Is  your Mrs also having  <deleted>n ?

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

a tad rough this morning..

it's got me thinking

I wonder what my Liver looks like now.

Having been a moderate to heavy drinker most of my life i'm willing to bet it's not in great shape.

However, most of the time I never give it a second thought.

Last night I put a fair amount of booze away but have only been partially hungover.

Do you lot who drink ever worry about the state of your Liver, heart stomach etc?

Also the throat, cancers are very common in heavy drinkers apparently. 

A good topic indeed..... and after partying for 30 years,,, yes,,, never had more than 2 days occationally off.... I took the package at vachira.... supposed to check for all... said but for sugar I am fine... yeah right....  will go rent a Dr soon..  just hope not like Thai GF where they drilled some extra holes to bump up the bill......  SCARY stuff.....  better to have fun and die of unatural causes? Buy hey, I guess after all the healthy <deleted> we can still have sex I guess.... nothing else to live for?

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry to rain on your parade; however, IMO you are kidding yourself. While there is some evidence milk thistle helps with hepatic disease, I haven't been able to Google anything that indicates it is an alcohol prophylactic. Even if it was, at your level of daily intake you would need about ten tablets of milk thistle a day to counteract the effect of your imbibing. Perhaps you have never heard of Paracelsus.

The only ways you could ascertain your liver is still in good health are with blood tests and an ultrasound; however, I suspect you are one of those people that avoid doctors and hospitals in case they tell you what you don't want to hear.

I like a drink or two myself, but at your level of consumption the chances are pretty good reality is going to bite you hard. Unless you are one of those statistical outliers that can keep drinking until 100, being gifted with great genes.

My other half was convinced I was Diabetic, so to quell her fears I went to a well known hospital and had a fasting blood test, not diabetic and all other results normal, no red flags anywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

"fun"

Ah, thanks for that, yes, she is still having "fun", she doesn't want for much & we do manage to have a laugh and a joke nearly every day, the fact that I enjoy a few beers and other stuff never comes into the equation. ???? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Is Milk Thistle Good for the Liver?

There’s conflicting research on the benefits of milk thistle for liver health. It may have protective effects on the liver, preventing damage. There’s some evidence that milk thistle can treat cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis, which can be caused by alcohol abuse, autoimmune disease, or viruses. But experts say that the evidence isn’t conclusive.

Some studies also show milk thistle may help people whose liver is damaged by industrial toxins, such as toluene and xylene.

There is not enough scientific data to say whether or not milk thistle can help liver problems. Get the facts on milk thistle for the liver

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/milk-thistle-benefits-and-side-effects#1

If you are already taking herbal remedies with questionable veracity as a prophylaxis for liver ailments, then you already have a problem (and it's not in your liver).