Thai road carnage: "Nan Model" shock tactics hailed in stopping repeat DUI offenders

webfact

On 12/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, soi3eddie said:

Surely it would not be too difficult for the authorities to total all road deaths whether at the scene, on the way to hospital or in hospital. Perhaps the death toll might be double if they did that? 

But that would put Thailand as #1 in road deaths and entail a massive "loss of face".

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, chickenslegs said:

I think the person who did the math was drunk.

Indeed. Given the reluctance of Thais to accept responsibility rather than spend an hour two making merit at the local Wat, I think the numbers quoted are extreme;y dubious.

The only penalty which will work is to confiscate vehicles, motor cycles and houses plus 3 years (or thereabouts) in prison.

They'll stop drink driving soon enough then. Thais value a smile/kind word/anything else which lets them feel good about themselves, and the ability to be corrupt without fear or repercussions too much to be consistent with law enforcement. Money conquers all in TL.

Why not try the Western World model instead?  

1. Make it a near certainty that if you drive drunk you will be caught.

2.  If you are caught driving 'over the limit' you will be punished, and the punishment will be sever and inconvenience you.

3.  Set sensible  blood-alcohol limits and enforce them strictly.

Unfortunately, I can hear the nay-sayers predicting that this is 'inappropriate for Thailand'  

Why?  It will require the RTP to do the job they are paid to do.