Vinyl sales surge again in 2020 as music fans enjoy records during lockdown

snoop1130

Vinyl sales surge again in 2020 as music fans enjoy records during lockdown

By Roisin O'Connor

newFile.jpg

Sales of vinyl and cassettes surged once again in 2020, as music fans spent much of lockdown discovering new favourites to add to their collections.  

The BPI, the organisation that represents the UK’s recorded music industry, reports Official Charts Company data showing that fans bought nearly 5 million vinyl LPs in 2020, marking a 21st century record and the highest total since the early Nineties.

Cassette sales are set to double by the end of the year, their highest level since 2003, as artists offer their music in a greater range of formats.  

Both classic and contemporary artists enjoyed bigger record and tape sales, from Fleetwood Mac and AC/DC to Dua Lipa and Lady Gaga.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/vinyl-sales-2020-best-selling-b1779570.html

I can understand vinyl as a vintage item, and for some a feeling of of more soft analogue sound – even small Chinese made vacuum-tube RIAA-preamplifiers have become a hit – whilst it's hard to understand the interest for musicassettes, which both have reduced sound quality and difficult track selection.

However cassette tapes and Walkman-type players seems to be fashion trend right now among teens, also in the part of Thailand where I live; I recently needed to "invest" in a player for my teen daughter, and begin to find stored recorded tapes of old releases, I have a past in the music business...????

Anyway, I shall not complain about the vinyl interest, we made two re-release licencing contracts last year with British companies, and are just about to close the first one for 2021...????????