BSA and Norton are joining Royal Enfield in India

AllanB

https://www.carandbike.com/news/new-bsa-gold-star-unveiled-at-motorcycle-live-2636263

Beautiful bike and since its a direct competitor to the RE650 I will expect the price to be about the same.

The BSA engine's output is 45 bhp at 6,000 rpm and 55 Nm of peak torque at 4,000 rpm.

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 is powered by 648 cc engine.This Interceptor 650 engine generates a power of 47.65 PS @ 7150 rpm and a torque of 52 Nm @ 5250 

2022_BSA_Gold_Star_650_front-x675.jpg?49

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, seedy said:

Can't see how it would be in competition - a single versus a twin ?

Liquid versus air cooled ?

Well they are both retro bikes, almost same cc, toque & hp.

Several sites also mention that they will be competitors, then buyers have to made up their mind if they want a thumper or a twin and I bet the people interested in a fairly cheap retro bike will check out both brands. 

We shouldn't underestimate the huge domestic market in India.  (I used to live there, and rode a 350 RE Thunderbird).

- There are some serious bike enthusiasts in India ...... after you discount the millions of Hero Honda 100cc commuters, all of them saving up for a car, there's a large hard core of real bikers.

They kept Royal Enfield alive, even though they only offered ancient 350 and 500 singles for centuries.  Now they have RE twins, Jawa, KTM, BMW  and a cool looking Honda 350 single.  

Linking back to the classic DBD34 Gold Star 500 will resonate with Indian bikers, and RE's latest single tops out at 350cc.

In a country where road conditions limit top speeds, the low down grunt of a big single may be ideal?  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

We shouldn't underestimate the huge domestic market in India.  (I used to live there, and rode a 350 RE Thunderbird).

- There are some serious bike enthusiasts in India ...... after you discount the millions of Hero Honda 100cc commuters, all of them saving up for a car, there's a large hard core of real bikers.

They kept Royal Enfield alive, even though they only offered ancient 350 and 500 singles for centuries.  Now they have RE twins, Jawa, KTM, BMW  and a cool looking Honda 350 single.  

Linking back to the classic DBD34 Gold Star 500 will resonate with Indian bikers, and RE's latest single tops out at 350cc.

In a country where road conditions limit top speeds, the low down grunt of a big single may be ideal?  

The RE650 are selling in huge numbers even outside India, people seems to love them, fairly cheap as well.

I think many grown up people in the west buys them as a Sunday toy, kids grown up and left, maybe divorced thus needing a new toy. 

Will be very interesting to see how well the BSA will do. 

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2021/11/04/royal-enfield/

• Like 1