BSA and Norton are joining Royal Enfield in India

AllanB

Great news for those like me who love British bikes.

"Classic British motorbike maker BSA announced last month the brand was being revitalised under its Indian billionaire owner, continuing a growing trend."

"Another famous British bike brand - Norton - was taken over by an Indian firm earlier this year with equally ambitious growth plans."

This follows Royal Enfield UK Global Technology Centre at the Bruntingthorpe Proving Grounds, Leicestershire allready designing and testing their new models

So with a new Anglo/Indian trade deal beginning today, we should see good bike times ahead.... in the midst of all this covid <deleted>.

It would be nice to see updated versions of the 500 and 650 models. 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bangyai said:

BSA....Bombay Samosa Arms ..... not really British though.

Yes good old english bikes with the oil leaks and electrical problems galore. Those were the days ride the bike 10 miles in the shop for 10 days

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

The silver tanked wideline Featherbed Norton was a beautiful machine. It went round corners as if on rails. If only we could have an OHC single with updated electrics, fuel injection and hydraulic brakes with a disc at the front and an oil tight engine. An updated International maybe !

Indian engineers have worked wonders with the RE, all it needs now is an overhead cam.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kickstart said:

Best in this format ,Jeff Smith won the World Championship on one of these in 1964-65.

It was basically a BSA B44 ,with it sharing parts from the C15 ,a 250 cc singal .

Capture.PNG

Thanks... righteous.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Me too - just a little bit slower than my 500cc Kawasaki

Circa 1973/74, I worked at a Suzuki dealership.  A friend of the other mechanic had a yellow Norton Commando, 850 I think.  He had an older one he raced, bored out (850?) and all.  The guy went back to college and sold the Commando.  He and my fellow mechanic went for a last joy ride around town.  Got pulled over for speeding, but didn't get a ticket.  The cop was impressed that they were doing 90 miles per hour and pulling away from him.  555. 

I saw the guy race the older one once after he sold it and the new owner let him race it.  Complete maniac.  The field included a 1000cc "Grizzly" upgrade to a Honda 750.  He couldn't keep up with it on the straightaway, but he could make it up in the tight sections.  He was a tall, lanky guy and was all over that bike.  After all, he didn't have to fix it if it broke. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, moe666 said:

Yes good old english bikes with the oil leaks and electrical problems galore. Those were the days ride the bike 10 miles in the shop for 10 days

Never. A couple of spanners and you were up and running again.????

On 1/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, moe666 said:

Never. A couple of spanners and you were up and running again.????

On 1/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bramley said:

Will these new beezers come with the obligatory oil leaks? Free biscuit tin provided for under the sump?

And the classic vibration to rattle your filling out.

But joking apart, good to see the name will carry on.

hope they do some retro stuff.

Good luck to them.

Had Bantams and a C15 back in the day of field bikes at 12-14 years old.

Edited by Orinoco

On 1/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, Maybole said:

The silver tanked wideline Featherbed Norton was a beautiful machine. It went round corners as if on rails. If only we could have an OHC single with updated electrics, fuel injection and hydraulic brakes with a disc at the front and an oil tight engine. An updated International maybe !

Indian engineers have worked wonders with the RE, all it needs now is an overhead cam.

Royal Enfield Himalayan meets your criteria.

But I guess you want an IOM type racer rather than a plodder to go up mountains?