Tate & Lyle accused of betraying Cambodia families whose land was allegedly taken

geovalin

UK company says it will keep trying to use leverage to get compensation from local supplier

Tate & Lyle has been accused of betraying 200 families in Cambodia who have fought for years to secure compensation for land they say was taken from them to make way for a sugar plantation.

Residents in Koh Kong, Cambodia, say their livelihoods, and their children’s futures, were devastated when their land was taken from them in a process that began in 2006. The land was later used to supply sugar to Tate & Lyle. Seven years ago, the Guardian interviewed affected communities who described how, without space to farm, they had little choice but to work on the plantation, which was run by Thai KSL Group.

People who worked for KSL in Cambodia said they earned as little as 79p a day cutting 1,000 stems of sugar cane, and that children as young as nine were among those working. KSL subsequently denied allegations that it had used child labour, and said that its employees earned a decent wage.

read more https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/02/tate-lyle-accused-of-betraying-cambodia-families-whose-land-was-allegedly-taken

3 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Asians exploiting other Asians - but the Guardian typically spins it to try and blame and undermine the West. The left really are a cancer.

Yes and No, if the companies in the west would skip those suppliers who abuse their workers, they could not be held responsible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes and No, if the companies in the west would skip those suppliers who abuse their workers, they could not be held responsible.

And ultimately, the responsibility is yours. You buy stuff, made by companies  who, by certain standards, exploit their workers or other people.

If companies can skip those suppliers, you can skip those companies. This would then incentivise them to improve the workers lot.

So Tate& lyle bought sugar from KSL , whch is a Thai company. I'm sure other companies bought sugar from KSL. I don't see why Tate & Lyle  need to be singled out and compensate anyone for anything. Sounds like a do-gooder NGO unable to pin anything on KSL tried to make a tenuous link to a multinational for finacial gain. 

If KSL owns the plantation then KSL is the villan in this case. 

As ethanol is produced by KSL we could all be guilty of using product from the KSL plantation in Cambodia.

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

And ultimately, the responsibility is yours. You buy stuff, made by companies  who, by certain standards, exploit their workers or other people.

If companies can skip those suppliers, you can skip those companies. This would then incentivise them to improve the workers lot.

Correct, I do exactly that and my it drives my Thai wife nuts.