Birds

Travel2003

Can anyone help me identify some birds?

Every night, around 02:00 a lot of birds start to sing outside my bedroom.

When I walk out on the balcony and try to locate them in the tree, they will naturally stop. And I can not see them.

I'm used to them now.

Maybe they are farang birds on holiday, but still with a "jetleg" not knowing the time difference?

And by the way, no, they are not only inside my head.

;-)

But can anyone tell me what kind of birds these are?

thnx

Sailor

Can anyone help me identify some birds?

Every night, around 02:00 a lot of birds start to sing outside my bedroom.

When I walk out on the balcony and try to locate them in the tree, they will naturally stop. And I can not see them.

I'm used to them now.

Maybe they are farang birds on holiday, but still with a "jetleg" not knowing the time difference?

And by the way, no, they are not only inside my head.

;-)

But can anyone tell me what kind of birds these are?

thnx

Sailor

You may get some information from the oriental bird club

Try this link:

http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/

Birds at 2am? That's interesting.

The roosters start around 3:30-4am.

Though at one place where I stayed, there were some horrible sounds, almost like a woman screeching at 2am. It took me awhile to figure out they were butchering pigs for the early morning market.

Do tell if you find out about the 2am birds :o

One night last week, after living here for 8 months and having a lot more birds roosting in our trees, we had a most raucous outburst around 2 am, as if birds were mating or killing each other. The noise went on for about 20 seconds, close to 90 decibels, and the other birds all woke up. Hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

Is their clubhouse in Soi 6? Anywhere near the library? :o

That's a good idea. Maybe some enterprising bird fancier could open a branch there :D

One night last week, after living here for 8 months and having a lot more birds roosting in our trees, we had a most raucous outburst around 2 am, as if birds were mating or killing each other. The noise went on for about 20 seconds, close to 90 decibels, and the other birds all woke up. Hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

Maybe it's all down to global warming.....

Birds still there, and I have no idea how they look like, or why they start around 02:00.

Have tried to look it up, but "no joy".

Last night they started 02:30, in the tree just outside my bed room window.

Has been going on for about 6-7 months now.

At least thats how long I have been aware of them.

I only know about the owl that is up at night time.

Maybe a cat will do the trick?

sailor

I rather suspect that the sounds you are hearing so early in the morning are not produced by birds but by insects - specifically Cicadas.

Listen to a few of the sounds on this Link - particularly the recording labeled "Lowland Cicada".

http://www.thaibugs.com/sounds.htm

I have these insects in my garden here in the Eastern Suburbs of Bangkok for many years and they do start to "call" very early in the morning - well before dawn.

It's a pleasant sound to me by the way.

Patrick

I rather suspect that the sounds you are hearing so early in the morning are not produced by birds but by insects - specifically Cicadas.

Listen to a few of the sounds on this Link - particularly the recording labeled "Lowland Cicada".

http://www.thaibugs.com/sounds.htm

I have these insects in my garden here in the Eastern Suburbs of Bangkok for many years and they do start to "call" very early in the morning - well before dawn.

It's a pleasant sound to me by the way.

Patrick

Thank you for that, but it is definately birds.

Sounds a little bit like the Golden-Fronted leafbird on your link.

And yes, they actually sing very pleasant, which is the reason I do not go mad here.

But looking at the pic, my wife said no to the the Golden-Fronted leafbird.

My wife tells me the name is something like "nok gang kean".

Sorry about the lousy spelling.

thnx

Sailor

thnx

Sailor

Ah OK - here's the culprit

A Magpie Robin copsychus saularis (นกกางเขน in Thai because in flight the white and black plumage looks like a cross).

This is the male - the female has dark grey plumage in place of the glossy black of the male.

Very common in Thailand, but an attractive bird with a loud, melodious and varied song, unfortunately I cannot find a recording at the moment.

Patrick

post-6651-1178957501_thumb.jpg

thnx

Sailor

A Magpie Robin copsychus saularis (นกกางเขน in Thai because in flight the white and black plumage looks like a cross).

This is the male - the female has dark grey plumage in place of the glossy black of the male.

Very common in Thailand, but an attractive bird with a loud, melodious and varied song, unfortunately I cannot find a recording at the moment.

Patrick

Yessss.

You nailed it.

I'm impressed.

Thats the one, according to my wife.

I was looking (and listening) at various black and white mag pies online, but their singing is not as pleasant to listen to as my "nigh birds".

So these birds are up and around at night time?

Or can it be something that wake them up?

Once again,

thnx a lot

Sailor

thnx

Sailor

Patrick

Yessss.

You nailed it.

I'm impressed.

I was looking (and listening) at various black and white mag pies online, but their singing is not as pleasant to listen to as my "nigh birds".

Once again,

thnx a lot

Sailor

do your neibours hear them too ? or maybe someone has a cd sleep therapy like the whales or in this case birds :o

thnx

Sailor

Patrick

Yessss.

You nailed it.

I'm impressed.

Once again,

thnx a lot

Sailor

do your neibours hear them too ? or maybe someone has a cd sleep therapy like the whales or in this case birds :o

Be happy you don't have a nightingale. Little b@stards twitter all night and clam up at daybreak.

thnx

Sailor

Patrick

Yessss.

You nailed it.

I'm impressed.

Once again,

thnx a lot

Sailor

Oh yesss, we all hear them.

Anyhow, I'm getting used to them now.

Was only curious about what kind of birds that are up all night.

p_brownstone solved it for me, and my wife confirmed it when she saw the picture he attached.

:D

Thnx

Sailor