Driving license tests suspended in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They were just getting back on track, so had a backlog of appointments, but hells bells. Looks like they might get back on track when my license is up for renewal in 4 years and 8 months.

We will all be dead by then

Recommendations please - Aussie passport and Driving Licence, I have been here on n off for 27 years and currently have Work Permit and Thai ID pink card n yellow book and a medical for licence applications 1 week old now so can i use my Aussie licence to apply for Thai Licence requesting for the easy way to exchange/transfer type system locally ?? 

1 minute ago, Jeffro008 said:

Recommendations please - Aussie passport and Driving Licence, I have been here on n off for 27 years and currently have Work Permit and Thai ID pink card n yellow book and a medical for licence applications 1 week old now so can i use my Aussie licence to apply for Thai Licence requesting for the easy way to exchange/transfer type system locally ?? 

Do the authorities really check for prior Thai licence from a westerner ?

On 1/3/2021 at 3:53 PM, colinneil said:

That will not make any difference, most folk will just keep on driving, with or without license.????????????????????

True enough. I heard tell that at least 30% of Thai drivers have a licebse. Personally, after several years driving in TL, I am of the view that there needs to be a law making it illegal for a Thai to own or drive a vehicle, from 2 wheels upward.

Never happen of course, far too sensible, and would solve far too many problems but result in a greatly diminished level of backhanders.

4 hours ago, Jeffro008 said:

As long as the Aussie license is valid. If expired you'll have to take the test. But as tests have been curtailed you might get lucky.

4 hours ago, Jeffro008 said:

Did mine last week with a current NT licence and no problem at Banglamung office, still had to do reaction tests and watch 45 min video. Medical normally only valid for 30 days so you may have an issue there if you cannot get in due to current restrictions. Proof of residence required which you would have covered.