New Year "safe driving" initiative in tatters - 316 dead nearly 3,000 injuries

webfact

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Most motorbikes were the victims of crazy car, bus and truck driving as usual, would you even think of suggesting that 4 wheeled transport be banned? Didn't think so. Generally speaking, you are only likely to damage yourself on a motorbike, unlike Cars etc. which can kill 10's of people in just one accident.

Still pesky poor people on motorbikes getting in the way of my car, ban them...  (Sarcasm alert)

Without careful analysis of the cause of motor cycle deaths it's guess work that the leading cause is "crazy car, bus and truck driving" - unless of course  you have made a full study of the causes - if that's the case, I along with others would appreciate reading your findings. 

• Sad 1

Does anybody actually believe that regular rhetoric spouted by the Minister of whatever, is actually going to be believed and adhered too?

Promises, intentions and campaigns all go out the window when these moronic drivers get behind a wheel.

They do not care.

They have no road sense education.

You need to teach the young about road hazards and consequencies.

Until then.

Dream on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And what do Thai youngsters see? Well I don't have to list all the bad habits, you've all seen them for yourselves. The kids see them when they're young, consider that to be the right way to do it and emulate them when they take to the roads themselves in later years.

Not just kids.  We've all seen (at least I have) tons of foreigners in Thailand pulling stunts that would have their driver's licenses revoked back home.  Not to mention painful fines and massive increases in their insurance rates.

It's all about enforcement.  Human nature is to behave in a way that maximizes personal benefit.  When you can get there 2 minutes faster with no negative consequences, you'll break the rules.  Which works right up until it kills someone. 

Back in nanny land, the cops break us of those habits, and quickly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And will continue to be, unless serious issues are addressed, proper driving tests, and police enforcement of laws at all times to name two.

UNfortunately, you would have to start with reforming the police so that they do their jobs. A hopeless task in this country where even a military PM  with power is too scared to touch that mafia. The carnage will continue and society will continue paying for the injured.

• Like 2

Almost five times the deaths in 5 days than in 10 months of covid deaths. 

Either we are not doing enough about accidents on the road or we are doing far, far too much for nothing regarding covid. 

One this is clear, both show that the powers that be have no interest in tailoring responses to the risk of death. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

5x more death in a week than covid in 10 months

but please lock down the country again for this dangerous virus that you have to be tested for, to know you have it

When you can catch a motorbike accident while shopping at BigC, let us know.

23 hours ago, pattjock said:

5 days and 316 dead and nothing is done. There are no checkpoints, no red light cameras, police sitting at crossings only look at their mobile phone while people are driving against red light all the time. In Pattaya very few use a helmet noways because no checkpoints, but most have a face mask.

you could tamp down corruption and actually pay thai police by just enforcing the laws they have now that would make roads safer. My biggest one is how little respect people have for a light turning red, especially when turning left/right. they just go by the thai custom of once someone turns everyone gets to turn.  I live in korat city and every single day at the major intersection in the middle of the city someone runs the red light(turning left or right) EVERY SINGLE TIME. Thats 1 violation every minute, for at least 10 hours a day.  at 500 baht a ticket thats 300000 baht in a single day at just ONE INTERSECTION.

i know it will never happen, because its just too logical to do and also would involve thai police doing actual work. 

I was walking this morning The idiots were in full cry with their bad driving Even a 10 year kid on a motorbike was speeding The lady selling stuff beside the road was angry at me because i forgot my face mask But i did suggest t her the real danger to Thais are the idiots on the road Guess she was was having a bad day ?

Nothing to be proud of is it? 316 dead prob more in 4 days Government reaction Lets have another meeting and campaign. As long as it does not involve the police.

5 minutes ago, IH8lokcdown said:

you could tamp down corruption and actually pay thai police by just enforcing the laws they have now that would make roads safer. My biggest one is how little respect people have for a light turning red, especially when turning left/right. they just go by the thai custom of once someone turns everyone gets to turn.  I live in korat city and every single day at the major intersection in the middle of the city someone runs the red light(turning left or right) EVERY SINGLE TIME. Thats 1 violation every minute, for at least 10 hours a day.  at 500 baht a ticket thats 300000 baht in a single day at just ONE INTERSECTION.

i know it will never happen, because its just too logical to do and also would involve thai police doing actual work. 

Just for your info, they just cut the fine for running a red light from 500Baht to 200Baht !!!!!!

Most other fines for traffic offenses were also cut by about 50%

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Actual enforcement would  go a long long way to  help. Last two days have witnessed vehicles blind over taking at  speed over a crest in the road with  no passing lanes  recently  refreshed. Over taking long line of other vehicles moving slowly due  to cause  of delay further  on out of  sight. Two Police  sitting and  watching it happen ! Freakin  ridiculous! At least  10 times ambulances  and/or  ems vehicles going opposite way to nearest  hospital during  those to days. ????

In my 20 years  driving experience here, & been involved in 3 accidents where i my truck has been hit from the rear, both the police, and insurance assesor know nothing  about the highway code, painted white lines indicating 'give way" or safe braking distances,...in one particular case i had to brake  very hard in a line oif traffic  a Toyota Vigo hit the rear end of my truck, the police were called  & insurance assesor, i was told i was to blame because i had stopped too quick, with that mentality its never going to  get better  or was it because   a farang (me) was involved?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kevc said:

Half the people on the roads don't know the rules, it would be a start to do as the UK did put adverts on TV explaining the rules.  Leaving a gap "only a fool breaks the three second rule"  the weaver bird don't dodge in and out, I still remember these forty years later.  Nobody knows what to do at a yellow grid section a reporter explained it was so you knew there was a junction, I've stood and watched in Bangkok at one of these total chaos, if they only obeyed the rules the junctions would run perfectly.

even if they knew the rules it would make no difference 

the bad driving just shows their true (aggressive) colours which they usually keep inside 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jaiyen said:

And that's only the ones they stopped !  Wonder what the real figure is ?  We all know that none of the kids riding to school have a licence, and in most cases no helmet too. But the police don't care ! The police are the problem stopping the solution !!

I would think the police don't care because the son/daughter of any police man has to get to school . How ?   By motosai so dad says it is ok. The police won't wait outside a school to catch underage riders when son/daughter is sitting on the worn out family scooter number 2.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2long said:

"28,884 people did not even have licences."  ????

Now in any civilised country with a similar population I don't think the cops could find that many unlicensed drivers in a year!

What if they continued these checks for unlicensed drivers year round; 24 x 7 x 365.

You think the number of unlicensed drivers could be in the millions? 

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats the point.

The poor newbies think that an annual proclamation to 'crack down'  has any real meaning.

I've lived through so many of these, the slogans, the endless tents at the side of the road with guys just drinking themselves to death.

Cynicism sets in after the first decade or so. You have to learn to live with it.

Regardless of the Junta Du Jour, nothing changes.

Without some 'Blinding Flash on the Road to Damascus' moment for the population as a whole, this is it!

Live with it

I guess you didn’t pick up on my sarcasm

On 1/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, colinneil said:

It will never end, until people here are taught how to drive properly, and that would be an impossible task.

you hit the nail on the EFFIN head again lankie.

all starts by having PROPER DRIVING TESTS BY  QUALIFIED EXAMINERS.....not just by going and doin reaction test. perception test....and looking at what colours the DINNER PLATE SIZED traffic lights are....

then havin to sit and watch a stupeeed vid......which is in thai.....with thai subtitles at a DLT office