My experience at Chiang Rai for extension based on marriage

8 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

They call my wife up to the counter and after a lot of yap yap, I get told the Kor Ror 22 is out of date.

It wasn't last year when it was already two years old.

Ours was rejected as it was dated the previous DAY.....had a three hour round trip for a new one.....they would only accept it dated for that day!!!......Like we were going separate the night before going to the IO???

• Like 2

To be honest I don't understand what the Kor Ror 22 achieves other than more paperwork, , we are married, we have a certificate from the UK, authorised by the MFA in Bangkok, and we have it translated and authorised by the MFA in Bangkok, so what the hell else do they need ......

I had to make over fifty <deleted> signatures today.

Utter nonsense, beaurocracy gone mad.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Ours was rejected as it was dated the previous DAY.....had a three hour round trip for a new one.....they would only accept it dated for that day!!!......Like we were going separate the night before going to the IO???

Our kor ror 22 is good for 30 days from the date. Kalasin

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine was a few weeks old here in Jomtien ,to be honest i have never had my paperwork processed so quickly ,did not have to go and photocopy anything it wasall done in 15 minutes ,even the home visit was done in 10 minutes ,they just took some pictures of us with our neighbour outside our house and hers opposite .really pleased

One thing Ubonjoe ,i have to go back on the 18th ,is it possible to go sooner to get my stamp?

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

it is the registry for a Thai marriage. It is equal to a Kor Ror 22 foreign marriage registry.

We are planning to register as married March 22, 2021. Considering all. Am I better off maintaining my Retirement status rather than Married status? I get the feeling that Married status is quite more of a hassle.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:48 AM, Surelynot said:

Luckily the Amphur in Chiang Rai is in the same set of buildings as the One Stop visa office.

We arrived just after 10 am and got out minutes before they took lunch. A good effort from them. 

• Like 1

Even though I am married to a Thai I do the retirement extension.  I also use Chiang Rai immigration and have no problems.  I use the monthly income method.  I get a 12 month statement from my bank, provide a copy of my bank book, submit a copy of the house register along with a copy of my wife’s ID along with a copy of my passport and I’ve never had any issues.

I have long held that a man must recognize his limitations.

The world of Thai Immigration is what it is. Therefore, one

would do well to rely on those best able to deal with the

matters presented here. It is well worth the cost to place 

the oft times gruesome dealings in the hands of experts. For

example, Assist Thai Visa in Chiang Mai has been looking

after me for years and it is rare that I have even had to actually

attend the local immigration office. That goes for 11 years of

90-day reports as well as retirement and marriage visas. Better

to part with a few baht and immunize oneself from what often

appears to be a petty, but purposefully inflicted run-round. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gimino said:

I have long held that a man must recognize his limitations.

The world of Thai Immigration is what it is. Therefore, one

would do well to rely on those best able to deal with the

matters presented here. It is well worth the cost to place 

the oft times gruesome dealings in the hands of experts. For

example, Assist Thai Visa in Chiang Mai has been looking

after me for years and it is rare that I have even had to actually

attend the local immigration office. That goes for 11 years of

90-day reports as well as retirement and marriage visas. Better

to part with a few baht and immunize oneself from what often

appears to be a petty, but purposefully inflicted run-round. 

To be honest if like me you do not live far from the immigration office ,its no big deal doing the 90 day ,in and out in 10 minutes once every three months ,the paperwork for my marriage was difficult the first time as we were married in the UK ,but now ,i have a year to get the paperwork done ,so no great struggle .

On 1/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

UbonJoe, do u want to comment....?

Like we should copy every page of every document, whether it is passport, housebook, bank book, or whatever, if it is copiable then copy it X2.

Would that work?

I always copy every page of every document at least 4 times before I go for my extensions, a pain in the a*** but this is Thailand 4.0 and the digital economy and we should count ourselves lucky that we aren't made to use quill and ink.

• Like 1