Division 1 Playoffs

dsfbrit

Hope you managed to see the game dsfbrit, good result for a Forest fan.. :o

The BBC:

Yeovil 0-2 Nott'm Forest

Nottingham Forest scored a penalty in each half to take a giant stride towards the League One play-off final.

Kris Commons put Forest ahead, calmly slotting home from the spot after Nathan Jones felled James Perch.

Perch made it 2-0 late on, striking his spot-kick into the corner after Jack Lester was upended by Terrell Forbes.

Yeovil created the better chances but Forest keeper Paul Smith was in fine form and Marcus Stewart headed wastefully against the post late on.

The Glovers will rue that missed Stewart chance, particularly as they were on top for large parts of the game.

Forest won both league meetings between the sides but without injured top-scorer Grant Holt, the man who scored the only goal in both games, they struggled to retain possession and looked second-best in the opening 20 minutes.

The pace of Aaron Davies and Wayne Gray and the knowhow and trickery of Stewart and Lee Morris troubled the visitors early on.

Keeper Smith was forced to make a stunning stop low to his right to keep out Davies' fierce strike and Stewart also tested the Forest number one.

Forest had to wait until 21 minutes for their first chance, the impressive Lewis McGugan blazing a shot over the bar from the edge of the box after some neat footwork.

But within seconds they were ahead.

Commons played a teasing through-ball into the penalty area and Jones tried to nip the ball away from the on-rushing Perch but only succeeded in sending the Forest man tumbling.

Commons took the responsibility from the spot, calmly stroking the ball into the bottom corner.

Forest were enjoying their best spell of the match and only a superb last-ditch blocked tackle by Forbes prevented Commons from doubling the lead.

But the Glovers continued to create half-chances.

Chris Cohen shot tamely at Smith before the break and two minutes after the restart the impressive Davies beat three men but delayed his shot too long, giving Ian Breckin enough time to get in a vital block.

Forbes then sent a header inches wide after a fine Stewart cross and Stewart headed a difficult chance wide while Gray was also denied by another superb diving stop from Smith.

At the other end Commons saw a well-struck half-volley deflected over and Scott Dobie sent a shot narrowly wide after a positive run from the half-way line.

With 18 minutes left Stewart squandered Yeovil's best chance of the game, heading Anthony Barry's cross against the post from point-blank range.

And with the home side pouring forward late on, Forest took advantage to put one foot into the Wembley final.

The Glovers were caught on the break and when Lester's run was clumsily stopped by Forbes, Perch tucked away the resulting penalty to put Forest firmly in control for next week's second leg at the City Ground.

Yeovil: Mildenhall, Lindegaard, Guyett, Forbes, Jones, Gray, Barry, Cohen, Davies, Morris, Stewart.

Subs Not Used: Behcet, Brittain, Kalala, Lynch, Knights.

Nottm Forest: Smith, Curtis, Chambers, Breckin, Wright, Perch, McGugan (Bennett 87), Gary Holt, Commons (Weir-Daley 79), Dobie (Morgan 72), Lester.

Subs Not Used: Pedersen, Bastians.

Booked: Curtis, Morgan, Commons.

Goals: Commons 23 pen, Perch 90 pen.

Att: 8,935.

Ref: N Miller (Co Durham).

• 2 years later...

I was about to ask this same question for this year and found this thread when I did a search for 'playoffs'. So Muckypups, sorry for the delay in the reply...

I hope this year will be even better, with Forest returning to the Premiership. :)

So where can these games be watched? They start on the 8th May - so it starts in just a couple of weeks.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/latestnew...2245681_2012386

Edit: I have just noticed the Topic Is Wrong - no longer League One I am glad to say - Oh well never mind - perhaps a mod could change it (please)- the question is the same though... come on U Forest...

Edited by dsfbrit

If I had the wings of an eagle........

There's a company called football plus who have the rights to Championship footy now in Thailand.

However due to copyright reasons they have encrypted. Some of the private cable co. were showing the channel up to this point.

If you can't find a bar that has it you need to find somewhere that has a C-Band dish as that's the frequency it's broadcast on.

google Live TV that's the company that have this channel.

I have actually spoken to the MD of Live TV about the encryption of this channel, I will contact him again nearer the time of the playoffs to see if he knows any bars that show it.

BLUE ARMY!

Thanks for that info Bangkok Blue. I will Google that now and see what I get...

edit: googled 'Live TV football championship' and am now wading through the '6,830,000 for Live TV football championship' responses returned :) It will be worth it!!!!

Edited by dsfbrit

Yes thanks a lot - I am off to that Live TV website now.

Thanks again...

Hope you get to see the games Chaimai - you can always fly back to the UK - volcano ash permitting that is!!!

Edited by dsfbrit

I reckon if Pleat, Arthur, Doughty had got their act together & backed BD in January we wouldn't be entering this lottery now !!!

Anyway, come on you tricky trees !!!! :)

To be fair - I think it was simply that West Brom came good at the right time - they seemed to be able to go up a gear just as we went into neutral - well away from home anyway. Mind you I just had a look at the results for Forest over the last few months and we did actually beat the Baggies 1-3 in January - so your theory could be right :D

I reckon Forest will get in the playoff final at least - I hope by then I can find a decent venue to watch it - mind you if you look at the recent results of the 2 teams that could get that 4th spot in the playoffs, the in-form team at the moment is Blackpool !

If I understand the rules correctly and they come 6th and we come 3rd, dont we have to play them in the first stage?? I will have to google the rules...

Come on U reds...

Edited by dsfbrit

I reckon if Pleat, Arthur, Doughty had got their act together & backed BD in January we wouldn't be entering this lottery now !!!

Anyway, come on you tricky trees !!!! :)

To be fair - I think it was simply that West Brom came good at the right time - they seemed to be able to go up a gear just as we went into neutral - well away from home anyway. Mind you I just had a look at the results for Forest over the last few months and we did actually beat the Baggies 1-3 in January - so your theory could be right :D

I reckon Forest will get in the playoff final at least - I hope by then I can find a decent venue to watch it - mind you if you look at the recent results of the 2 teams that could get that 4th spot in the playoffs, the in-form team at the moment is Blackpool !

If I understand the rules correctly and they come 6th and we come 3rd, dont we have to play them in the first stage?? I will have to google the rules...

Come on U reds...

Correct - 3 against 6, 4 against 5 - home and away and then a one game final.

As I understand it the (provisional) play off dates have been announced as follows:-

Semi-Final 1st leg: 8th/9th May

Semi-Final 2nd leg: 11th/12th May

Play Off Final: 22nd May

The good news (if Forest get through the semi's) is that I am back in the UK for the Final :)

I am in favour of the play-offs because it adds interest for many clubs and supporters.

It is also a nerve-racking time because anything is possible. As recognised above the form team (Blackpool at moment) often succeeds in the play offs.

All things being equal (unless Forest fail to get a point at Scunthorpe and/or Derby capitulate to Cardiff) it should be Forest vs Blackpool.

Frankly, if Forest cannot overcome Blackpool over 2 legs and then beat Leicester or cardiff at Wembly, they don't deserve to go up.

Although Forest should finish 3rd, the 12 point gap to West Brom is telling and a benchmark of what needs to be achieved.

Irrespective of any debate about the "Transfer Committee" there is no doubt that Billy Davies has done a great job at Forest. He has assembled a good, young squad that should be good enough to get through the play-offs.

Cheers CNF55, that confirms what I thought.

Chaimai - I am really pleased for you that you are back in the UK during the dates the final is played(and I am not) :)

I agree - BD has done really well.

I hope I can find somewhere good to watch these playoff games and Forest go back to the Premier League. I have had to 'suffer' watching Premier League teams I have no real interest in for years now.

Come on you reds - and I hope they and you can get a 'ticket' for the final.

Edited by dsfbrit

If I had the wings of an eagle........

There's a company called football plus who have the rights to Championship footy now in Thailand.

However due to copyright reasons they have encrypted. Some of the private cable co. were showing the channel up to this point.

If you can't find a bar that has it you need to find somewhere that has a C-Band dish as that's the frequency it's broadcast on.

google Live TV that's the company that have this channel.

I have actually spoken to the MD of Live TV about the encryption of this channel, I will contact him again nearer the time of the playoffs to see if he knows any bars that show it.

BLUE ARMY!

I sent them a message via their website last week. I told them I have a large C-Band dish in my garden and would be interested to know how I could get their service and the cost etc... . I do not really expect them to supply me with the service as I suspect they charge a lot of money and only want to deal with businesses anyway, but I thought it would at least open a conversation and I could find out all about the package and which bars have their Championship package now. They have not yet replied. Here's hoping - I have until Saturday to find somewhere to watch the first game against Blackpool :)

Edited by dsfbrit

Yes come on you reds!!!!!

I do have the Forest player to listen to the games, occasionally they have Forest games on www.bet365.com

(have to register but has live streaming of many sports)

PLEASE tell me somewhere in Bangkok are playing the games!?!?!

I have NO venues at all yet.

I live in Pattaya, so I will get 'desperate' tomorrow and Friday to find somewhere. If not - then its listening to Forest player.

I could always listen to the game in the garden, get the wife to don a Blackpool replica shirt and run around kicking a football to get some real 'atmosphere' going. :)

Edited by dsfbrit

The last 2/3 years the championsip play off games have all been shown on super sport. A couple of days ago i saw the first leg games advertised on super sport 3 on their website, but now the listing has disapeared :) . If anyone sees the games advertised and on what channel it'll be most appreciated. Cheers

Yes you are right - Supersport do that quite often - change the games - even at the last minute. So there may be some chance its shown on there.

Still thanks for the info it will be great if it is shown on Supersport 3.

As you know, a lot of the bars that get Supersport get it from Multichoice South Africa. I have a big C-Band dish in the garden and the schedule I get from Multichoice is actually the 'Rest Of Africa' schedule, which tends to have a subset of the games advertised for South Africa itself. So did you see this on the South Africa schedule or the 'Rest Of Africa' schedule when you looked?

http://www.supersport.com/content.aspx?id=...t&view=full

By the way, I suspect you are aware, the C-Band Multichoice feed to Thailand ends next week - on the 14th I think it is. Its been around for years and will be a big blow to a lot of us, especially bars that use this service.

Edit:

I have just looked at what they have scheduled for around the playoff time on Saturday (time are SA times). I cannot believe this dross is their final schedule!!!

13:00-13:30 Soccer Barclays Premier League Preview: Week 39

13:30-14:30 Soccer Spanish La Liga H\L Week 36 - Midweek Highlights

14:30-15:00 Soccer German Bundesliga Preview Show: Matchday 34

Edited by dsfbrit

poolie, I just looked at the 11th for the 2nd leg. I found this on Supersport 3. It was Supersport 'South Africa' ONLY. Supersport 'Rest Of Africa' which I am sure we get we get here in Thailand - did not have this. Do you know if the bars here have the 'South Africa' channels????

19:30-20:00 Soccer Woz Up 2010 29 Days

20:00-20:30 Soccer Bundesliga H\L SuperSport H/L - Hertha Berlin v Bayern Munich

20:30-23:00 Soccer Coca-Cola Champs: SF 1: 2nd Leg: Nottingham Forest v Blackpool LIVE

23:00-23:30 Soccer Road To The 2010 Fifa World Cup

23:30-00:00 Soccer Italian Serie A H\L Weekly Round Up

http://www.supersport.com/content.aspx?id=...t&view=full

I also emailed Supersport to see if they are showing the match on Saturday...

Edited by dsfbrit

Almost certain we don't get the S.A feed and it's the Nigeria and Africa feeds we receive only. If you have a C-Band dish then you can perhaps contact Live TV to install their box to receive football plus which is showing the games

Losing Supersport is a blow. Other options would be Astro Supersport in Malaysia or ESPN India?

Well Supersport were very helpful. Here is their response. I am not sure if this is 'Africa' or/and 'Rest Of Africa', will just have to see the schedules before then I guess:-

From Supersport

Good day David

We are showing both playoffs

Semi final 1 1st Leg: Blackpool v Nottingham Forest will be shown delayed on Sunday morning at 11h00 on SS3

SF 2: 1st Leg: Leicester City v Cardiff City live on Sunday at 14h15 SS3

Thank you

regards

Supersport Admin

Edit: At the moment their schedule shows this as South Africa only. So We wont get it here

Edited by dsfbrit

Almost certain we don't get the S.A feed and it's the Nigeria and Africa feeds we receive only. If you have a C-Band dish then you can perhaps contact Live TV to install their box to receive football plus which is showing the games

Losing Supersport is a blow. Other options would be Astro Supersport in Malaysia or ESPN India?

I posted above (post 22 I think) when I contacted 'Live TV' on their website contact form. I asked if they would provide me with the service and how much.

No reply yet. I would have thought they would have replied, I may have made the mistake of telling them I was just a 'bloke with a big dish'. Maybe I should have said I owned a bar or something.

You are right about the feed from Multichoice, C-Band satellite service does not show 'South Africa'. I was more interested whether some enterprising company had set up a communications link that received the 'South Africa' feed using another method. Its technically not that difficult to transmit the signal down a cable. It would take a lot of bandwidth though :)