For new Type O visa, must I submit COE request with visa Application?

Last month I mailed in my application for an O visa.  They returned the package to me with no mention of what I did wrong.  They did send an application booklet which, on the front page, says all visa applications HAD to be mailed in.  Well, that is what I did.  On the last page of the booklet however, it says I MUST apply online for a visa and COE.   I am not yet ready to apply for a COE.  If I attempt to apply online for this visa, it seems to require that I apply for a COE as well.  Again, I just want the visa at this time. 

I know I can simply apply for the COE and enter without a visa (I am from the USA), but I have done all of the prep work for the visa and would prefer to obtain it while I wait to determine exactly what date I wish to enter Thailand.  

Any suggestions?  

What is basis for the non-o visa you used (marriage to a Thai or retirement?)

The embassy and official consulates in the US have two online applications now. 

This one to start your visa application process. https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/VisaOnlineApplication

And this one for the COE that all embassies and consulate now use. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

General info for starting the process for the visa and COE is here. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

I am in the process of returning to Thailand and this is what I have done. I applied in Sydney, Australia. My visa application was done online with all documents being submitted online. Initially, you only apply for a visa, not the COE. Make sure you provide all the documents based on the type of visa you are applying for (follow the checklists provided by the embassy). I received confirmation that my application was successful the following day and I handed in my passport including the visa application that I had uploaded. Once I got the visa in my passport, I applied online for the COE. The COE application required my wife's ID card, our marriage certificate and proof of COVID insurance for the time I will be in Thailand. After the submittal, I received a successful confirmation (late Friday afternoon) about 30 minutes later and was then required to upload my hotel booking and airline ticket. I am now waiting for the final approval.

As Ubonjoe said, if you let us now what visa you are applying for you may get better help.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, ubonjoe said:

What is basis for the non-o visa you used (marriage to a Thai or retirement?)

The embassy and official consulates in the US have two online applications now. 

This one to start your visa application process. https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/VisaOnlineApplication

And this one for the COE that all embassies and consulate now use. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

General info for starting the process for the visa and COE is here. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Ubon Joe:  

Thanks for your response.  The OA would be for semi-retirement and longer-term stays, but marriage in Thailand is not in the works.  But here is what I am looking at for 2021.  I would like to visit later in February for perhaps a 3 to 4 week stay after I get out of quarantine.  I would then return later in May, this time for around 45 - 60 days total.  Finally, later in the year, I would likely return for up to 2 months. 

The first and even a shorter second visit could be handled visa exempt, but I would need a visa for the third visit.  So, I will need to get a visa soon, and the OA seems the logical one for me to get as I am at retirement age.  And while a February visit will have to be short relative to the quarantine time, I would like to have a visa for the second visit as it gives flexibility to stay longer should I wish.  It seems reasonable that as I have all the documents I need to apply for the visa ready now, I should continue with the process rather than have to update them all later. 

So, I did revisit the site you recommended and the visa application requires the applicant submit proof of booking and payment of the ASQ hotel and airfare.  While the actual application for a COE is separate from the visa application, the applicate still appears to have to submit those things.  Sure, I can book both and submit the proofs to get the visa application going, then cancel them during the free refund period, then later due to the COE applications when I actually know when I am going, but I hate playing games like that.  But we do what we have to do I guess! 

Mouaan, thanks for your response.  I understand you did not need to specifically apply for the COE before you got your visa, but did you still have to supply the required proofs that you must supply as part of the COE application with your visa application?  That is, as part of the visa application, did you also supply the ASQ proof and airfare proof? 

Thanks guys. 

FLHawk: on the visa application it asks for the airline booking, but as there is no point in making a booking until you apply for the COE, I looked at which airlines are flying to Thailand on my planned travel date and then used that airline code and date. My initial planned travel date was moved by one day during the time that I applied for the visa and actually got the visa put in my passport. I enquired about applying for the COE before getting the visa and was told I need the visa in the passport as you need to upload the visa when you first apply for the COE.

There are two parts of the COE, the registration and the confirmation that you are allowed to travel. For the registration, you need to upload your visa, and other documents but not your airline ticket or proof of ASQ booking. You only book those after receiving the email that your COE registration was successful. To get the confirmation to travel, you need to upload your airline and ASQ bookings.

6 hours ago, FLhawk said:

The first and even a shorter second visit could be handled visa exempt, but I would need a visa for the third visit.  So, I will need to get a visa soon, and the OA seems the logical one for me to get as I am at retirement age.  And while a February visit will have to be short relative to the quarantine time, I would like to have a visa for the second visit as it gives flexibility to stay longer should I wish.  It seems reasonable that as I have all the documents I need to apply for the visa ready now, I should continue with the process rather than have to update them all later. 

Until you plan on staying here for a long period of time a single entry tourist visa might be the best option. It would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for the 30 days.

A OA visa would allow unlimited one year entries for one year from the date it is issued. After the visa expires you could get a re-entry permit for the last one year entry you got. Not sure it is worth paying for the 40/400k baht insurance that has to be valid for one year when you apply for the visa and entry to the country.

What I have done is complete the online visa and submit it.  I have not reserved or paid for an ASQ hotel nor flight, but I did give information about my planned hotel and planned flight.  

A few hours later I received an email confirmation of my submission, then a short while later an actual message from a person requesting I submit the Foreign Insurance Certificate.  They said I needed to submit one, the one with 3 authorizing signatures.  I check the OA policy I submitted and the cover page sure looked like it had the information and was signed by 3 persons.  For clarification, I submitted the one cover page and submitted that, then sent an email asking for clarification if I got it wrong.    I also submitted an email (they say to not respond the the email, but the contact information they give you to use for questions was the same email address address, so I just changed the subject title, haha) and asked them to let me know if I still got it wrong.  

But they said nothing about the ASQ hotel or the airline, other than to be careful to select a qualified airline.  

We will see.....

Archived