Genuine Speed Trap Or Scam?

Tompa

Yesterday we went to dreamworld and at the last toll both we got pulled over by the cops. They stated that I went 126kph and that they had picture to prove it (I was probably speeding). I asked to see the picture but he said I had to go to the police station to get a copy. I then asked him if the picture shows the speed as well and to that he didn’t answer.

The ticket was for 1000 baht and he then offered to settle it on the spot for 500 baht which I refused. He then promptly took my license :o so now I have to go to the police station to get it (at least I can see the evidence).

Has anyone experienced the same thing, and is this an actual genuine speed camera or just another police scam?

Tompa,

If it was an actual speed trap, he would have written out a ticket for you. You would never (usually) have to pay the cop directly but rather pay the fine at a local police station (or that's been my experience so far). Did he give you a reciept after taking your license?

Edit: Oops, just read that he did write out a ticket for you. But my opinion still stands, you don't need to pay the cop directly. Take the ticket, smile and head off to the police station to pay the fine. Don't argue with him, just tell him that you will pay it at the station.

Edited by Norrad

Same thing happened to me. I got a receipt and went to the station and whilst I was there I politely asked to see the photo but none was forth coming, so I paid my dues and left.

TIT and I'm not going to argue with the boys in brown!!

If it was an actual speed trap, he would have written out a ticket for you. You would never (usually) have to pay the cop directly but rather pay the fine at a local police station (or that's been my experience so far). Did he give you a reciept after taking your license?

Edit: Oops, just read that he did write out a ticket for you. But my opinion still stands, you don't need to pay the cop directly. Take the ticket, smile and head off to the police station to pay the fine. Don't argue with him, just tell him that you will pay it at the station.

The only reason he offered to settle it on the spot was so he could pocket the cash. This was why I refused. It's just a hassle to go to the police station, especially since I live in Chanthaburi! Will try to make it there today as I'm in Bangkok for another 2 days.

Tompa,

Happened to me at the same place.... i do think they have a speed camera there, and one on the motorway on the other side of town.... he said he clocked me at 183kph and I said i was tired, sick and late for work... luckily I had a popped blood vessel in one of my eyes so I looked like I was dying. He let me go with a warning, I think he didn't want to see my red eye anymore...

1000baht is waaaay to high, even 500 is pushing it... depending on what I do wrong and the officer's face, usually 100-200 will do. Never more than that (unless you're drunk driving or injured someone).

Happened to me at the same place.... i do think they have a speed camera there, and one on the motorway on the other side of town.... he said he clocked me at 183kph and I said i was tired, sick and late for work... luckily I had a popped blood vessel in one of my eyes so I looked like I was dying. He let me go with a warning, I think he didn't want to see my red eye anymore...

1000baht is waaaay to high, even 500 is pushing it... depending on what I do wrong and the officer's face, usually 100-200 will do. Never more than that (unless you're drunk driving or injured someone).

Guys

why agrue with cop's, every one knows that they doont have real cameras in toll ways,, in pattaya they have hand held laser radars coz sweden coppers give it to them few yrs back......

and make life a little bit hard in toll way it's good to argue with cops,, one never will win,, i have driven in and out so many times almost every where in LOS and been stopped numerous times,, only good is that i keep "so called" cop walled in hand what is contain MAX 200THB and credit card, cops has been always agreed to take either 100 or 200, depends of city, belive me it's works.

Good advice is play along wiht them, you will have much easier life.

If you mean the tollway going past the old airport, then yes it's a notorious place to get stopped. There's a guy hiding at the top of the previous on-ramp with a laser gun. Didn't think he was taking photos though, just radioing the numbers to his mates at the tollbooth. In their defence though (god how I hate to write that), there are quite a few signs along the road and at all the on-ramps stating that it's only 90km/h (I used to think it was a 120), and that it's a fixed THB 1000 fine.

Edited to add: They always seem to be there on Sunday mornings.

Edited by Meerkat

Ah you guys are obviously rich using the tollway and are good candidates for collecting money! I travel up and down the Rangsit alot and never take the tollway. I never see the boys in brown pulling cars on the main Rangsit, although they do target motorcyclists on the service road. I guess targeting the main Rangsit would cause a serious traffic jam and thus would not be good policing?

I was pulled on the Don Mueang toll way about 6 month ago with the same excuse. He actually showed me a picture of another car alegedly at the same spot with the car no. plate & in bright orange over the picture +147kmh. I told him no way I am paying & give me a ticket, no ticket came & said he will keep my licence. Also said I will notbe able to drive for 15 days, to this I replied 'no problem I have a bike'. Maybe I was lucky as he said ok this is a warning...you can go !!! :o

This is becoming more common thats for sure - its done a lot on the Rama 9 expressway coming into BKK - basically they have a guy with a radar set up on a tripod under a bridge (keeps the sun off him) and he radios the speeders through the police at the next toll booth. They actually only stop real speeders going over 80kmh - since I noticed it, I have never been stopped as always drive that stretch at 80kmh - they pull over heaps of drivers - easiest way is to admit it, pay the agreed fine (no receipt of course) and carry on - for me at least my time is worth a lot more than 500baht.

The ticket was for 1000 baht and he then offered to settle it on the spot for 500 baht which I refused

My friend only paid 200 baht lol for speeding but get stop 3 times on the same day for speeding lol

I went to the police station today to pay the fine and pick up my license. I asked to see the picture and they showed it to me after about 20 minutes of looking through their computer files. It clearly showed my car and the speed I was going, so fair play to them. The fine is 1000 baht and I confirmed this through asking some taxi drivers yesterday and today, as well as talking to the cops at the station.

They showed me pictures of the equipment they use (in action at the express way), so I think this is indeed the real thing.

Just put a mental note to slow down the next time I go through there :o

Tompa,

Some few weeks ago I got a ticket for a very minor traffic violation, crossing those diagonal white stripes at some junctions,

The police guy was very polite and professional. There was no suggestion of any “tea money’ He wrote a ticket said the fine would be 200bt and I could pay at ANY post office and my license would be sent back to me. And it was.

He also said that if I were to get stopped again to produce the ticket to show the police had my license. No talk of not being able to drive.

As I said he was very professional, polite and helpful and gave a little salute as we left.

D.D.

I went to the police station today to pay the fine and pick up my license. I asked to see the picture and they showed it to me after about 20 minutes of looking through their computer files. It clearly showed my car and the speed I was going, so fair play to them. The fine is 1000 baht and I confirmed this through asking some taxi drivers yesterday and today, as well as talking to the cops at the station.

They showed me pictures of the equipment they use (in action at the express way), so I think this is indeed the real thing.

Just put a mental note to slow down the next time I go through there :o

Tompa,

And what speed did they claim you were doing Tompa? What speed do you admit to doing? What make/model of car were you driving?

I have been told that covering your license plate with clear Plexiglas or plastic will foil the speed cameras.

I have been using a Radar detector for the last several years here in Thailand. I know, I know Thailand supposedly doesn’t have radar, BUT they do. I have found the police way, way out in the country using radar as well as on the express way. This last week I was rolling down the road at about 130 kph and my alarm went off. I immediately hit the brakes and slowed down to a 40 k.p.h. crawl. Sure enough up around the bend and another few hundred meters were the boys in brown. I had taken so long to get to the stopping area and seeing me driving at the break neck speed of 40 k.p.h. The police motioned me to keep going; they were looking for a “speeder”. For me it is only fun to beat them out of a 2 or 3 hundred baht bribe, but they do have radar

Jim

This reminds me of a story i heard from the UK some years ago. A radar van was parked up, and whilst one lad distracted the operator, his mates knicked the rear number plate, attached it to their car, and proceded to speed past the detector van some 17 times.....