Travel/Points card - Any decent deals?

So, I am looking at the American Express gold but the offer in my home country is with bonus sign up points - here in Thailand it doesn't come with sign up points.

I've never had a points/miles card - are they worth it? We like to save and the idea of a credit card doesn't appeal too much -

Under normal circunstances we travel to Europe twice a year 3 people - we spend on groceries and some hotel stays for holidays but would only stay at a Marriott hotel for my birthday for example.

So is the Thai American Express Gold worth it - Are there any other cards that are worth having as an expat?

Thanks

On 1/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, Joedobbs said:

So, I am looking at the American Express gold but the offer in my home country is with bonus sign up points - here in Thailand it doesn't come with sign up points.

I've never had a points/miles card - are they worth it? We like to save and the idea of a credit card doesn't appeal too much -

Under normal circunstances we travel to Europe twice a year 3 people - we spend on groceries and some hotel stays for holidays but would only stay at a Marriott hotel for my birthday for example.

So is the Thai American Express Gold worth it - Are there any other cards that are worth having as an expat?

Thanks

I retired to Thailand a decade ago from the USA. I maintain a US American Express Card and a Capital One Visa Card based on US banks. Both bring spending benefits but I am not sure the benefits are worth it. Any monthly charges are paid direct from my US bank account to the cards electronically so no issue there. Address of record is my Son’s address in US with both cards informed of my Thai address ... no issues. The Amex Card? Saving purchase miles for a trip to US, potentially in 2023. I have a Delta Amex Gold Card so that also has some air boarding/luggage benefits. Back in the day, used this and access to the lounges more ...

I have the Thai Air AMEX Platinum and I use it whenever I can to increase my points. The points stay on the card (don't expire) and I simply transfer them across to my Thai Airways account when needed for free flights and upgrades. It's definitely something for nothing IMHO.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, Joedobbs said:

So not worth to collect points?? for hotels and flights??

Capital one visa from USA has all the points available and I use mine a lot so it has provided a free flight from here to the USA for me on multiple occasions.

also no foreign transaction fees extended warranties on many things I buy .

no annual fees and as long as you pay in full each month no interest charges.