Stv visa Insurance policy

Hi,

i purchased this insurance policy from axa which covers a minimum of $100,000 covid 19 insurance for a total of 6 months the insurance police was 21,600 baht.

This is the policy i am refering to  https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

I am now being told by axa that this in its own is not enough for the stv and i must also buy health insurance otherwise my stv application will be rejected from my embassy?

Does anyone else know if this is correct that the policy above which i purchased is not enough on its own?  I was shocked to hear this after paying out 21,600 for it.

They tell me i must also purchase this insurance policy below.  Is that correct thanks?

https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-Long-Stay-Visa

Kind Regards

Edited by bear9
more

The health insurance policy they are telling me I need to buy for the stv costs 37,561baht and I have already paid 21,600 for the travel insurance policy which covers $100,000k minimum in covid 19 insurance.

so with this new health insurance policy they tell me is mandatory for the stv also that would be a total of 59,161 for both policies.

There must be a better way than this?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to have the 40/400k baht insurance coverage for a STV and the $100.000 covid 19 insurance or a policy that will meet the both requirements.

According to the thread below , the cheap Axa insurance should be fine. Billpro785 posted a copy of his insurance certificate which seems to live up to both requirements. You know more about those things so I would love to hear your opinion if it indeed does live up to both requirements.

So an update on this this afternoon,

I contacted the thai embassy in London Regarding this and they told me the following after i explained what Axa told me.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

As long as your insurance policy covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD medical coverage, it should be acceptable.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

I replied back to them attaching my insurance policy and they said this to me

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please apply using what you have. If we need more information, we will be in touch.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

I then got back to Axa and explained to Axa that the insurance policy i purchased was ok according to the thai embassy in London

Axa then got back to me and stated this

In London Thai Embassy website also mention for insurance coverage  IPD 400K and OPD 40K require for STV. You may check with them again. Along with this link from the london embassy https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction

on the website link it does mention what the insurance company was refering to regarding the stv

• Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical expenses in Thailand for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht, and COVID-19 related medical expenses no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand --  Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

So i have got Axa telling me i do need to purchase an extra insurance policy, the thai embassy in London telling me i do not but then on the thai embassys London website its telling me i do need to purchase it.

This has only added to my confusion and i have no idea what to make out of it.

1 hour ago, bear9 said:

I contacted the thai embassy in London Regarding this and they told me the following after i explained what Axa told me.

Did they understand you were applying for a STV? They may think you were asking about a single entry tourist visa.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did they understand you were applying for a STV? They may think you were asking about a single entry tourist visa.

Yes i explained to the london embassy  in both of my emails it was for the stv visa

Edited by bear9

Is the text on your insurance certificate the same as the one Billpro785 posted in another thread?

It says:

[NAME] is covered for outpatient and inpatient medical expense from sickness and accident including any
sickness caused by COVID-19 (1) while travelling in Thailand under AXA Travel Insurance ... with benefit as below:
     Benefits                                                                                                                                                              Baht
1 Personal Accident Loss of Life, Dismemberment, Loss of Sight or Total Permanent Disability 1,000,000
2 Medical Expense due to Accident or Sickness                                                                                       3,500,000
3 Personal Liability                                                                                                                                               650,000

As far as I can judge, that should live up to both requirements.

3 hours ago, farang51 said:

Is the text on your insurance certificate the same as the one Billpro785 posted in another thread?

It says:

As far as I can judge, that should live up to both requirements.

Hi this is what it includes below according to my insurance certificate from Axa.

Personal Accident Loss of Life, Dismemberment, Loss of Sight or Total
Permanent Disability

2 Medical Expense due to Accident or Sickness 3,500,000
3 Personal Liability 650,000

*The coverage meets the minimum requirement of 100,000 USD for Certificate of Entry (COE) Application

Axa is telling me i do need this but i also need to purchase health insurance also.

Edited by bear9

On 1/11/2021 at 4:31 AM, bear9 said:

The health insurance policy they are telling me I need to buy for the stv costs 37,561baht and I have already paid 21,600 for the travel insurance policy which covers $100,000k minimum in covid 19 insurance.

so with this new health insurance policy they tell me is mandatory for the stv also that would be a total of 59,161 for both policies.

There must be a better way than this?

Going to follow this thread, I have yet to see a UK person be granted a STV. Will be interesting to see if you get granted one. How old are you btw? 30k for Health Insurance seems very high even for 6 months coverage

2 hours ago, bear9 said:

Hi this is what it includes below according to my insurance certificate from Axa.

I see no mention of the required medical insurance. This from the embassy website.

1. Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical expenses in Thailand for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht, and COVID-19 related medical expenses no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand --  Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, bear9 said:

Hi,

i purchased this insurance policy from axa which covers a minimum of $100,000 covid 19 insurance for a total of 6 months the insurance police was 21,600 baht.

This is the policy i am refering to  https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

I am now being told by axa that this in its own is not enough for the stv and i must also buy health insurance otherwise my stv application will be rejected from my embassy?

Does anyone else know if this is correct that the policy above which i purchased is not enough on its own?  I was shocked to hear this after paying out 21,600 for it.

They tell me i must also purchase this insurance policy below.  Is that correct thanks?

https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-Long-Stay-Visa

Kind Regards

You paid 21k for the covid insurance only?! Mine was a mere 7000. should have gone with tipinsure.

yeah for stv need inpatient / outpatient insurance also (usually runs more expensive than coco-insurance)

5 hours ago, daviddunham said:

You can (probably) cancel the axa (they have pretty lax refund policies).

pacific cross is (for me, 33yr old) the cheapest at 29k including everything (inpatient and coco insurance). Try that

The PacCross policy has a 15 day wait period from date of entry into Thailand..

Which means NO COVERAGE during ASQ...NO COVID medical costs are covered if test positive for COVID in ASQ...with or without symptoms. Pacific Cross did this to avoid any claims for COVID during ASQ.  

The LUMA Pass Thailand DOES COVER any COVID medical expenses in or out of ASQ WITH or WITHOUT SYMPTOMS.  

Arawan Namak a Thai agent has it. 

Annual premium is 34,000 Thb

Quarterly is 8,000 Thb

That policy also meets the visa requirements for the OA, OX, STV and NEW Non O retiree visa obtained outside Thailand.

Edited by travelerjim

47 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

The PacCross policy has a 15 day wait period from date of entry into Thailand..

No, they have a 15 day waiting period from when they issue the policy (the start of the coverage). If issued 15 days before arriving in Thailand the insurance covers from day 1.

Anyway, I think the AXA insurance is fine unless the certificate that bear9 got does not include what I quoted from a certificate posted in another thread; it says:

[NAME] is covered for outpatient and inpatient medical expense from sickness and accident including any
sickness caused by COVID-19.

Edited by farang51

17 hours ago, daviddunham said:

You paid 21k for the covid insurance only?! Mine was a mere 7000. should have gone with tipinsure.

yeah for stv need inpatient / outpatient insurance also (usually runs more expensive than coco-insurance)

Does tipinsure cover for asymptomatic hospitalization?  Axa cover this a lot of the other providers do not.

Edited by bear9

On 1/12/2021 at 2:19 PM, bear9 said:

So an update on this this afternoon,

Dear Sir/Madam,

As long as your insurance policy covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD medical coverage, it should be acceptable.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

I replied back to them attaching my insurance policy and they said this to me

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please apply using what you have. If we need more information, we will be in touch.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

I then got back to Axa and explained to Axa that the insurance policy i purchased was ok according to the thai embassy in London

Axa then got back to me and stated this

In London Thai Embassy website also mention for insurance coverage  IPD 400K and OPD 40K require for STV. You may check with them again. Along with this link from the london embassy https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction

on the website link it does mention what the insurance company was refering to regarding the stv

• Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical expenses in Thailand for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht, and COVID-19 related medical expenses no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand --  Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

So i have got Axa telling me i do need to purchase an extra insurance policy, the thai embassy in London telling me i do not but then on the thai embassys London website its telling me i do need to purchase it.

This has only added to my confusion and i have no idea what to make out of it.

This might have opened up a loophole, If the embassy told you that is all you need to apply for an STV then go ahead and apply, the insurance you have already taken out will cover you for COE, don't listen to what AXA tells you, I think I will throw an email my embassy's way and see what they say, if they respond identically to you then I will submit a $100,000 covid insurance with my application and nothing else.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, bear9 said:

Does tipinsure cover for asymptomatic hospitalization?  Axa cover this a lot of the other providers do not.

Chances are higher that you get hit by a tuktuk then be delivered to a hospital or even be tested positive.

People are over-insured for no reason.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, daviddunham said:

Chances are higher that you get hit by a tuktuk then be delivered to a hospital or even be tested positive.

People are over-insured for no reason.

Sorry but thats just nonsense.  How it is more likely to be hit by a tuk tuk than to test positive for covid im completely baffled by that.

You can test positive with no symtoms on arrival. In Thailand if you test positive on arrival at the airport or at the hotel you are immediately transferred to the hospital you are not allowed to issolate in your asq hotel room. 

Many people have tested positive with no symtoms on arrival from the stories ive been reading on the asq fb group and many of their insurance policies did not cover for asymtomatic hospitalization therefore incurring significant expenses out of their own pocket.  Given the incubation period is 14 days whos to say you test negative on arrival but test positive on day 7 in the hotel having possibly picked up the virus in the airport or on the flight.

Therefore it is only common sense to purchase a policy that will cover you for asymptomatic hospitalization

Edited by bear9
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Luma is not amongst the accepted insurance companies for the STV:

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesstv

I was recommended Luma in a FB group (that is about Visa's) where several people had success with Luma. Perhaps I'm wrong, but, the site that you're referring to is a recommendation and not mandatory....right? 

Just now, aldriglikvid said:

I was recommended Luma in a FB group (that is about Visa's) where several people had success with Luma. Perhaps I'm wrong, but, the site that you're referring to is a recommendation and not mandatory....right? 

As far as I understand, you need one of the insurances on the TGIA page for the STV. For other long stay visas you can use other insurance companies.

21 minutes ago, farang51 said:

As far as I understand, you need one of the insurances on the TGIA page for the STV. For other long stay visas you can use other insurance companies.

Perhaps you're right. Wow, this STV application is exhausting. I'm thinking of dropping the whole thing...

So!

Is there any single policy on https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesstv that any of you guys would recommend a (to my knowledge) healthy 34-year old? 

27 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Not looking to steal your thread here, Mr, but perhaps this is of concern and interest to other people too. My heart stopped when you told me Luma wasn't going to work. 

Check the website for the Thai embassy in your country. In Denmark, the embassy refers to https://longstay.tgia.org regarding the insurance for the STV. If you want to be sure if you can use Luma, then ask the embassy.

If you are allowed to use Luma, please report back and also tell us which country you are in; that could be of help to other people.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, Polaky said:

This might have opened up a loophole, If the embassy told you that is all you need to apply for an STV then go ahead and apply, the insurance you have already taken out will cover you for COE, don't listen to what AXA tells you, I think I will throw an email my embassy's way and see what they say, if they respond identically to you then I will submit a $100,000 covid insurance with my application and nothing else.

Embassy got back to me and said yes that is fine for COE but you still need health insurance to apply for visa,

so no go.