Pattaya: Three major hotels shut temporarily - 18 tourist venues too

webfact

Pattaya: Three major hotels shut temporarily - 18 tourist venues too

2pm.jpg

Picture: Tansettaki

The second spike of Covid-19 and the severe restrictions placed on travel in Chonburi have resulted in three major luxury hotels and 18 other tourist sites temporarily closing, report Thai business news Thansettakij. 

Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, D Varee Jomtien Beach and Hard Rock Hotel and Cafe are shutting for now. 

Centara said they would be closed until 31st March and in the meantime will do refurbishments.

D Varee said they were closed from 4th January onwards. 

Hard Rock said they would be provisionally reopening from February 1st after closing last week. They signed off "Be Safe & Rock On!".

The media said that those who had booked on the "Let's Travel Together" scheme would get their money back minus booking charges.

Also 18 major tourist attractions have shut temporarily including the Alcazar and Tiffany shows, 4 Regions Floating Market, the aquarium and dolphinarium, Art in Paradise, Frost Magical Ice of Siam, One Million Years Stone Park and Crocodile Farm, Harborland, Ripleys and the Cartoon Network water park. 

Travel to and from most of the eastern seaboard is extremely restricted with checkpoints in place. Travel is only where absolutely necessary and even then documentation is needed in advance. 

Source: Tansettaki

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-14

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I fail to see the humour (ha ha icon on the main post) when I read a story like this one. Hundreds of people now out of work and with little hope other than charity.

I hope that the hotel association is successful, but I am not holding my breath.

This extra cost to the government is probably the main reason why they have not ordered a lockdown. Lockdowns are proving to be too expensive.

Why should they close hotels? There is not much Covid risk. You can also close every condo complex if you close hotels. And where should local and foreign tourists stay then? And do all hotels want to be closed? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Why should they close hotels? There is not much Covid risk. You can also close every condo complex if you close hotels. And where should local and foreign tourists stay then? And do all hotels want to be closed? 

The reality is they have closed down their source of any chance at business. Being closed down officially ,would allow staff and  the hotel to qualify for financial support from the Government. Condos are a different thing....  I wonder how many hotels would prefer to be ordered closed. 

Edited by jacko45k

20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've noticed quite a few closed just recently.  Ones that have been open up until a few weeks ago.  Sad times in Thailand, and the rest of the world.

I had stayed at the Areca Lodge numerous times to have a night in town before the Covid flared up again. It usually had anywhere from half dozen guests to a few dozen, a lot of Thais were staying over weekends, likely from Bangkok. Very available and cheap and easy to book on Agoda. Wonder if they are still open now. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've noticed quite a few closed just recently.  Ones that have been open up until a few weeks ago.  Sad times in Thailand, and the rest of the world.

I've noticed a major decrease in the population in just this last week.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Oldie said:

Why should they close hotels? There is not much Covid risk.

The sheer size of some of these hotels cannot run on half a dozen locals at the weekends... they need to be near capacity to make ends meets.

Hence it makes sense to close rater than try to operate on an "operating at a loss" scenario.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1