Kasikorn allows only a single incorrect pin attempt?

While abroad, I entered pincode incorrectly. I think I did it only once - 1 attemp. Maaaaaybe I made 2 attempts - I don't remember. My card got blocked for withdrawals, but continued to work for payments in general.

So, only 1 attemp? If there're 3 attempts allowed though, what's a time frame between 2nd and 3rd ones so that incorrect attempts will get reseted to 0 and a card won't get blocked?

The thing also is, one can unblock a card by phone only once. A second time one will have to ask for re-issuing a new one and pick it up in Thailand.

Edited by gafdtomaka366

3 minutes ago, gafdtomaka366 said:

What???? Pin numbers??? Ho...... How???

I can even post here my pin. What would you do with it?

Me ? Nothing. But apparently , there are criminals out there who make fake bank cards and attach stolen pin numbers to them to empty the account. Something like that.

But if you want to go to the nearest Kasikorn bank and see the exact wording of the warning about  foreign gangs you can easily confirm it for yourself.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 5:08 AM, gafdtomaka366 said:

While abroad, I entered pincode incorrectly. I think I did it only once - 1 attemp. Maaaaaybe I made 2 attempts - I don't remember. My card got blocked for withdrawals, but continued to work for payments in general.

So, only 1 attemp? If there're 3 attempts allowed though, what's a time frame between 2nd and 3rd ones so that incorrect attempts will get reseted to 0 and a card won't get blocked?

The thing also is, one can unblock a card by phone only once. A second time one will have to ask for re-issuing a new one and pick it up in Thailand.

How hard is it to enter a PIN correctly?  Were you drunk?  High?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, Bangyai said:

Kasikorn is also the only bank I know with the following message in Thai on the ATM machine :

Be careful when entering your pin as there are gangs of foreigners stealing pin numbers.

Or words to that effect.

Damn those swarthy foreigners with their pin stealing ways....

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, Bangyai said:

Kasikorn is also the only bank I know with the following message in Thai on the ATM machine :

Be careful when entering your pin as there are gangs of foreigners stealing pin numbers.

Or words to that effect.

Foreigners only. Those pesky evil ones of course. All locals are saints.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, Bangyai said:

there are criminals out there who make fake bank cards and attach stolen pin numbers to them to empty the account. Something like that.

The way I've seen it done, in a local news report on card security, is:
The criminal has a card reader in a briefcase, they walk past you closely enough for the card reader to connect (via the chip in your card) and read the number.
Usually your card is in your pocket in a wallet, easy for the secreted card reader to pass within a few millimetres to read the card successfully.

At this point they have enough to make a new card that will only work if it's a 'tap and go' aka 'paywave'.
Whatever your limit on 'tap and go' is, is the maximum they can use it for, purchases only, no cash withdrawals.

The next stage is a hidden camera, secreted above the touch pad where you enter your PIN.

So now they have both, your card number (from which they can create a new card) and your PIN.

They then proceed to withdraw as much as they can as quick as they can.
Most banks insure against this, when discovered, they immediately cancel your card, and in some, perhaps most cases eventually you will be compensated for the loss.
But that is not a guarantee.

Best to take as much responsibility for your financial security as possible, don't just expect that financial institutions will look after you, because they may not, especially if they can show that you have not taken security seriously.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:08 PM, gafdtomaka366 said:

While abroad, I entered pincode incorrectly.

Was this 2019?  Travelling abroad?  Anyways good to know Kasikorn can be used outside of SE Asia. (Or can it?)  

8 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I never keep more than a few k in my

ATM account, if I need mere I transfer to the account and use it. No worries. 

ATM account?  I though all bank accounts gave you an ATM card for access?

55 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

You are not obliged to accept a card. I have an account with Krungsri for which I do not have, nor do I need an ATM card.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

They give you an ATM card when you ask for it, otherwise you can just open a savings account without any ATM card and access only by book or transfer by app (or online banking).

On 1/16/2021 at 6:08 PM, gafdtomaka366 said:

ok, so now 1 million of us wont open an account with them, and as usual K bankd wont look at the problem...  they see it as you are the problem because you told us.... talk about stupid....  its the way it is here....

On 1/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, DefaultName said:

This highlights why I don't use cards at an ATM, but the cardless withdrawal instead.  If I don't use a card at all, it can't be copied.  Right?

I do the same whenever possible. However, the OP wrote "while abroad", so that option doesn't exist.

• Like 1