Driving licence - categories

Badger18

I have a UK car-only driving licence. I'd like to get a Thai car + bike licence. It looks like this is possible as long as immigration will give me a residency certificate, but for the bikes, I'm guessing there will be different categories and different test requirements. Can anyone point me to any info on these? I wouldn't use the big bike entitlement often but it'd be good to have if it's not a major drama.

You can get a Thai car DL with your UK DL,  if or when your local DLT office is open.

Until then you can drive on your UK DL but ring insurance to confirm you are covered if you have voluntary insurance, the car/truck will still be insured by the CTPL govt insurance. 

You will have to make an appointment to take a test for your Thai bike DL theory & practical. 

As for a big bike DL no information as of yet whether it's going ahead at the present time because of the C19 pandemic. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

If you don't have a bike endorsement on your driving licence you don't qualify for a bike licence in Thailand, you'll need to start from scratch. Last I heard you can't get a big bike licence on a 2 year licence, there was also something about having held a licence for a certain amount of years (not sure if that just meant the initial 2 years or if longer?) so you'll have to wait for a couple of years.

This would be better off in the biking forum but hopefully someone who's into it will be along soon.

Edit: must learn to type faster! 555

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1