How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

Ruperts

That means living frugally and investing as much as you possibly can, even if it is only a small amount each month. The main thing that kept me going was the fact that I DID know where I wanted to retire and I had something to look forward to. The years passed fairly quickly and here I am. I am certainly not wealthy but I don't have to stick to a budget and I am able to live here quite comfortably.

And if you die tomorrow, was it worth it?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruperts, it's good to see that you're still with us here. Let me guess what you haven't said yet, and hope I'm wrong: no degree, no profession or trade, no real goal in life. The first two years in Chiang Mai, if you do the usual teaching thing in that situation, you'll make about 19,000 per month take home, after deducting for taxes, visa runs, and the months you don't get paid. Private lessons, if you can find them and keep them, or part time work at a language center, about 225-250 per hour, when you actually work and get paid. Privates at 350 per CMai don't fall out of the jackfruit trees here.

You remind me of my middle son. Alcoholic, 9th grade dropout, genius, backpacker, cook, condom salesman, jack of no trades, and now at age 31 has an opportunity to go into a career with a major company, but he probably won't take the leap.

Good luck, Ruperts. Your idea of staying home and working sounds best.

LOS is not yet a migrant worker-friendly place. I judge from your age that you have no pension plan and a slender savings account, if any. As you're young and barely initiated maybe a few tips on what not to do would be more suitable, i.e.

Don't fall prey to a woman making high demands on your budget.

Don't listen to dodgy farangs or Thais speaking good English and making tempting business offers.

Don't go the English teacher route unless you're qualified and experienced. Otherwise it can be very hard, low paid work.

Don't even consider investing in a bar.

Don't invest in a "family" business.

Don't overstay your visa.

Don't marry without due and long consideration of local mores.

Don't get into dope and alcohol.

Don't fail to learn some necessary Thai e.g. counting, polite address etc.

Don't discount the wealth of good advice you can pick up from this forum.

If many of these don'ts sound familiar it's because most of these basic rules of caution are applicable on any foreign turf.

Good luck and many happy returns.

Some good advice given, but family business is great for me, but I know Thailand a little bit better than the OP :D

Ditto. :o

You remind me of my middle son. Alcoholic, 9th grade dropout, genius, backpacker, cook, condom salesman, jack of no trades, and now at age 31 has an opportunity to go into a career with a major company, but he probably won't take the leap.

Crikey PB. Harsh assessment. Hope your middle son doesn't check your TV acount!!!

My youngest brother fell into pretty much the same category all through his twenties. Hit 30 & just snapped out of it. Three years later, he has worked his way into a middle management position in a large transport company. Don't give up on the kid.....

Cheers,

Soundman.

How do i make my living in Thailand?

Well....

Working hard, very hard. Being able to ride the giant emotional rollercoasters of runing small business in a foreign country where there are great big bear traps appearing under your feet on a daily basis. Luckily, being quite gifted in my chosen field of work, & therefore having good demand for my services. Having the necessary skills to attempt to run small to medium size business trained into me over most of my lifetime.

And on top of that, more hard work. I reckon I work harder in Thailand than I ever did in my country of origin. Longer hours, more stress, less time off.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Is it possible all farangs who came to Thailand did it to work harder then they did before, and often even for a lower salary ?

I find that hard to believe :o

Hey...

I came here to take it easy... I cut my stress level by 2/3 and increased my enjoyment of life by 200 percent. Work is like very low on my list of priorities. Spending time with my wife and soon my daughter is what its all about.. If I wanted to beat my brains in and chase a carrot that I could never reach or if I did reach it spend my life trying to hold on to it I would have stayed in the USA. Going to live here as long as I can... Until my daughter needs something that Chiang Mai may not be able to deliver ... a quality non-sexist education. But I am hoping that this comes along in the next 4-5 years as well.

How do i make my living in Thailand?

Well....

Working hard, very hard. Being able to ride the giant emotional rollercoasters of runing small business in a foreign country where there are great big bear traps appearing under your feet on a daily basis. Luckily, being quite gifted in my chosen field of work, & therefore having good demand for my services. Having the necessary skills to attempt to run small to medium size business trained into me over most of my lifetime.

And on top of that, more hard work. I reckon I work harder in Thailand than I ever did in my country of origin. Longer hours, more stress, less time off.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Is it possible all farangs who came to Thailand did it to work harder then they did before, and often even for a lower salary ?

I find that hard to believe :o

Hey...

I came here to take it easy... I cut my stress level by 2/3 and increased my enjoyment of life by 200 percent. Work is like very low on my list of priorities. Spending time with my wife and soon my daughter is what its all about.. If I wanted to beat my brains in and chase a carrot that I could never reach or if I did reach it spend my life trying to hold on to it I would have stayed in the USA. Going to live here as long as I can... Until my daughter needs something that Chiang Mai may not be able to deliver ... a quality non-sexist education. But I am hoping that this comes along in the next 4-5 years as well.

Each to their own! I'm one of those individual's who is not at all happy unless occupied & doing something constructive all my waking hours. Long days at the office with everything going on at F1 speed is the only way to go for me. :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

I've said it dozens of times already, but I simply cannot fathom why anyone would be interested to come to live in Thailand and consider they could have a good time on 500 baht a day. What is it about this place that makes people go completely gaga?

Again, more absolute rubbish. Not everyone wants to live a "hi-so" lifestyle, Bendix.

Only four years ago, I THRIVED (not "survived") on 550 baht a day, supporting two people, and putting my partner through a bachelor's degree program at a major university. We went out to dinner nightly, and often traveled within Thailand to see the sights. Of course, we didn't live in downtown Bangkok, either.

Being financially satisfied is not measured in how much you have, but in how much you don't need.

that is wrong. Do you think laws are meant to be broken? Do you make a habit out of that? There are alot of people like you that think they can get away with anything in thailand. Glad they made the visa rules more strict.

Are you saying you've never engaged the services of a "pro?" Don't forget, that's illegal here too. And you've never purchased alcohol after midnight?

In Thailand, many rules are meant to be broken, and I'm sure you've broken laws dozens of times. Get off your high horse.

No no and no. I've never done any of those things. I've never visited a prostitute in my entire life. And I dont drink alcohol let alone purchase it after midnight. Not in europe or in thailand.

In thailand rules are NOT meant to be broken. Whats wrong with you? You got the wrong person in front of you. What kind of dumb thing is that to say. Just because the rules are not always enforced and the police are corrupt doesnt mean its right.

Edited by fanta rood

On the whole, it's going to be more difficult to make a living anywhere. More people, more competition, fewer resources. Yes, there's that certain segment that will tend to hold onto the reins through legacy... but unfortunately for the masses, it's a longer and tougher rat race... with a lot more rats to content with as well.

:o

I've said it dozens of times already, but I simply cannot fathom why anyone would be interested to come to live in Thailand and consider they could have a good time on 500 baht a day. What is it about this place that makes people go completely gaga?

Again, more absolute rubbish. Not everyone wants to live a "hi-so" lifestyle, Bendix.

Only four years ago, I THRIVED (not "survived") on 550 baht a day, supporting two people, and putting my partner through a bachelor's degree program at a major university. We went out to dinner nightly, and often traveled within Thailand to see the sights. Of course, we didn't live in downtown Bangkok, either.

Being financially satisfied is not measured in how much you have, but in how much you don't need.

Well,Bendix can be a right cock at times.He regards everything to his own wants and life,but cannot understand why anybody would be different.

A mate of mine at home,makes in excess of US$300K a year,but doesent go out bugger all,and is more than happy in the winter to watch live rugby and rugby league on TV(mens sports bendix BTW. :o ) , cause in his words, "it takes bugger all to make me happy!" If he lived here,he is the type that would live in a small village and have to spend sod all.

some people eh... :D

In thailand rules are NOT meant to be broken. Whats wrong with you? You got the wrong person in front of you. What kind of dumb thing is that to say. Just because the rules are not always enforced and the police are corrupt doesnt mean its right.

And just because a rule exists does not, similarly, make it right to adhere to. You are using the word "meant" as if to imbue a rule with some sort of holy moral correctness. What makes a rule "right" or "wrong" has nothing to do with it's ontological status, just like corrupt enforcers do not remove "right" from a rule. So your own argument defeats you.

Well,Bendix can be a right cock at times.He regards everything to his own wants and life,but cannot understand why anybody would be different.

Yeah, I'm glad no one else on the board is like that.

that is wrong. Do you think laws are meant to be broken? Do you make a habit out of that? There are alot of people like you that think they can get away with anything in thailand. Glad they made the visa rules more strict.

Are you saying you've never engaged the services of a "pro?" Don't forget, that's illegal here too. And you've never purchased alcohol after midnight?

In Thailand, many rules are meant to be broken, and I'm sure you've broken laws dozens of times. Get off your high horse.

No no and no. I've never done any of those things. I've never visited a prostitute in my entire life. And I dont drink alcohol let alone purchase it after midnight. Not in europe or in thailand.

What a boring life you've led. Have you never been on a motorbike without a helmet or bought a pirate DVD?

What a boring life you've led. Have you never been on a motorbike without a helmet or bought a pirate DVD?

You are promoting people to break the rules in a foreign country while you are guest in that country. That is wrong. Dont try to look at it from another side its wrong. Its working illegally now. But whats next? Oh I can get away with this so lets take it a step further.

I wonder why theres an increased violence towards foreigners and why they implement the new visa rules. They just ignore any rules and do whatever they like without thinking about other people. Believe it or not some people do get offended

Surprised 'Neeranam' , you really think that you need to break rules to not been bored?.....well if you are 14 I can understand it.........otherwise is just lack of imagination.

The problem of many farangs in this country is that they believe that they are smart.....but what really they are, is smart with a qualification

There are many pages of want ads in the Bangkok Post and probably other English language newspapers. Almost without exception they are asking for people with some sort of qualification. Proficient English is high on the wish list. The OP should select what he can and will do - then get qualified. Good jobs don't grow on trees so there's hot competition for them, which can be very tough if you're not on your own turf. Qualify first, young man, while you're young enough to do it, then go chase your dream. Or be an adventurer and take the knocks.

Rake it in now in your 20's and maybe early 30's (and in general wherever you are in life; not discriminating against older folks who are just getting started) and kick back and let it work for you. Easier to let your capital compete against the next generation rather to do so with your own hands/feet.

LOS is not yet a migrant worker-friendly place. I judge from your age that you have no pension plan and a slender savings account, if any. As you're young and barely initiated maybe a few tips on what not to do would be more suitable, i.e.

Don't fall prey to a woman making high demands on your budget.

Don't listen to dodgy farangs or Thais speaking good English and making tempting business offers.

Don't go the English teacher route unless you're qualified and experienced. Otherwise it can be very hard, low paid work.

Don't even consider investing in a bar.

Don't invest in a "family" business.

Don't overstay your visa.

Don't marry without due and long consideration of local mores.

Don't get into dope and alcohol.

Don't fail to learn some necessary Thai e.g. counting, polite address etc.

Don't discount the wealth of good advice you can pick up from this forum.

If many of these don'ts sound familiar it's because most of these basic rules of caution are applicable on any foreign turf.

Good luck and many happy returns.

Sound very sound advice Qwertz :o

How Do You Make A Living In Thailand?

I'm new to Thailand and the money is running out fast.

The business venture I've got now does not pay enough for my basic needs and eating off the street is a bit dodgy all the time. I need some answers too. :o

Edited by bruceboy

There are many pages of want ads in the Bangkok Post and probably other English language newspapers. Almost without exception they are asking for people with some sort of qualification. Proficient English is high on the wish list. The OP should select what he can and will do - then get qualified. Good jobs don't grow on trees so there's hot competition for them, which can be very tough if you're not on your own turf. Qualify first, young man, while you're young enough to do it, then go chase your dream. Or be an adventurer and take the knocks.

yeah the bangkokpost is a good option, if hes a thai national with good english

Nonsense (except for the bit about me being a right cock :o )

I don't live a hiso life at all - i barely go out these days and am happily settled into married life. I live a monastic existance and am very happy to do that.

I earn good, but i know it's not the be all and end all. In fact, I've just negotiated a deal with my employer where I will only work three days a week in future, and will leave Bangkok and move instead to telecommute from Hua Hin. You don't need to lecture me about the work / life balance. I'm there already pal.

But my basic premise still applies - Thailand is no place to be poor for a farang. Each to their own.

the thing los so famous for cant be done on a shoestring budget...................lol.

thai s can smell a poor farang miles away. like springsteen says what ar e poor farangs good for................absolutely nothing.

no offense to the happy poor farangs, you r the exception.

But my basic premise still applies - Thailand is no place to be poor for a farang. Each to their own.

Being "poor" is a matter of perception.

When i was young, a budget of 15 000 Baht a month was not poor for me. My tastes then were not as expensive as they are today. And given the demographics here in Thailand - it would put you into the "middle class" box, slightly lower middle class, to be specific.

Don't forget - the OP is just 23 years old, and is not yet ready to decide on a career. There is enough time to do so.