Rolex Watch parcel from Dubai to Thailand.

Streetglide1802

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don"t do it... they're just waiting for people like you, you'll have to pay so much taxes and the headaches to release it from custom will overshadow any saving you think you're making by buying it elsewhere, i have stung few times and now learned my lesson...

If it's sent by DHL/FexEx/UPS, etc, standard import duty plus VAT will be automatically charged on delivery (plus the courier company's admin fee).   All documented and receipted, there will be no "headaches getting it released from Customs", it's standard procedure by the courier companies on behalf of the Customs Department.

If it's sent by normal post and it's intercepted on arrival by Customs, an import duty assessment, based on established rates, will be advised to the recipient and as soon as that is paid the item is released.  Simple.   If it's not intercepted at Customs it will just go out for normal delivery.  Even simpler.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Ouch, whatever you do is gonna hit hard.

DHL and in fact any courier will sting with this item and its value.

Make sure its insured.

Best of luck.

The courier companies collect normal, itemised, receipted duty and VAT on behalf of the Customs department, they don't "sting" users unless the receiver is expecting to get away without import duty!

friend ordered something that was 14,000.  she paid 1500 in tax.

so my rolex is 280,000....i would pay about 30,000 baht

which is GOOD>...... how can I go even one day with my Rolex????!?!?!??!?!?!  30,000 is not much money if you can wear a Rolex.......I'd even tip them an extra 10,000

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 8:20 AM, ezzra said:

Don"t do it... they're just waiting for people like you, you'll have to pay so much taxes and the headaches to release it from custom will overshadow any saving you think you're making by buying it elsewhere, i have stung few times and now learned my lesson...

I bought a new Rolex Sub several years ago in BKK. I was on a rota job in the ME at the time.

I bought it at a shop that provided a tax receipt.I got them to use an old address in another country.I received over 17 k back for a tax rebate at the airport the next time I flew out . (bonus) Do you have that option? Just wear it home.

Nice that people making comments without knowing the tarif. 

Its not super expensive 

A watch imported into Thailand is subject to a 5% duty plus a 7% value-added tax (VAT),

This comes from the BKK post so in total a bit more then 12% This goes over the whole value shipping and cost of the watch. Its up to them to value the watch. That might be a problem too. But the tarifs they cant mess with these are regulated.

• Like 1

Unless you want to see this on someone's wrist I wouldn't send it.

There have been a lot of complaints from Thais on Thai social media about Thai Post and international in-bound shipments going missing.

This came to a head this week, of course I can't find the article.

Edited by mtls2005

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Nice that people making comments without knowing the tarif. 

Its not super expensive 

A watch imported into Thailand is subject to a 5% duty plus a 7% value-added tax (VAT),

In my experience, unless some pre-shipment paperwork is coordinated with the courier service, the import duty will default to 30% for general merchandise.

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

In my experience, unless some pre-shipment paperwork is coordinated with the courier service, the import duty will default to 30% for general merchandise.

I don't think its that hard to tell them there is a watch in it and then they can calculate the right duty. It should not be much of a problem. I always get the right tariff even if nothing is included. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't think its that hard to tell them there is a watch in it and then they can calculate the right duty. It should not be much of a problem. I always get the right tariff even if nothing is included. 

Yes, my point being that it is necessary to draw the courier's attention to the lower duty applicable and to insist that the lower rate be used. Many years ago I imported something that should have attracted a lower duty, but in spite of the declaration clearly stating the nature of the item, it was hit with 30% duty. When I complained to the courier I was advised that I needed to make arrangements in advance in order to obtain the more favorable rate. Perhaps things have changed for the better now.

[quote]

...But the tarifs they cant mess with these are regulated.

[/quote]

Ah Rob, I wish it were true ???? I have previously imported items with the correct HS tariff code, only to have Thai customs 'make up' a ludicrously-high import tax, and refused to answer my appeal communications to review the tax and explain what HS code they used.  Pay it or lose it....  I had to pay because I needed the item. (I paid more than $1,000 in import tax on a product of value about $1,500, with a tariff of 5%....)

It's the customs department that are 'playing loose' - DHL just passes on the charges to me, plus their high processing and storage fees.

• Like 1