Entering With 1-way Ticket With Tourist Visa

Will there be any problem? Ive heard that people sometimes get stopped before going on the flight if they have one way ticket unless they have a visa. If I get a tourist visa, the 60 days plus 30 one, does that mean I am completely safe or is it possible I will not be allowed to board the flight? I am flying from Copenhagen with SAS.

Will there be any problem? Ive heard that people sometimes get stopped before going on the flight if they have one way ticket unless they have a visa. If I get a tourist visa, the 60 days plus 30 one, does that mean I am completely safe or is it possible I will not be allowed to board the flight? I am flying from Copenhagen with SAS.

You should be just fine with a tourist visa. If you are really worried why not check with SAS in case they have some peculiar requirement ?

the rule says to board the plane you must have a return ticket with a date that stays within your visa rights.

That is, if you have no visa, you will enter Thailand on visa exemption only if you have a return ticket within the next 30 days.

If you have a tourist visa single entry, you can board your plane only if you have a return ticket within the next 60 days (the 30 days extension is at Immigration discretion so you cannot count it).

Indeed why bother anymore ? Please help the military to starve this country and stay home (or visit a country without such crazy visa rules)

the rule says to board the plane you must have a return ticket with a date that stays within your visa rights.

That is, if you have no visa, you will enter Thailand on visa exemption only if you have a return ticket within the next 30 days.

If you have a tourist visa single entry, you can board your plane only if you have a return ticket within the next 60 days (the 30 days extension is at Immigration discretion so you cannot count it).

I am not aware of this rule, please quote an official source.

All official sources (particularly IATA) I find talk only about visa exemption entries requiring onward travel. SOME embassies want to see onward tickets before they will issue a tourist visa, but I've not come across any reports of passengers with a valid visa of any type being denied boarding by the airline.

Edited by Crossy

I am not aware of this rule, please quote an official source.

All official sources (particularly IATA) I find talk only about visa exemption entries requiring onward travel. SOME embassies want to see onward tickets before they will issue a tourist visa, but I've not come across any reports of passengers with a valid visa of any type being denied boarding by the airline.

I cannot quote any official source, but it is what I have been told in all travel agencies back in Italy. And Thai embassies in Italy require you can show a return ticket to issue a tourist visa.

Sometimes the rules are not enforced , it depends on what air company you travel on, so better ask them. Or buy an onward cheap air ticket (AirAsia Bangkok - Penang for example, it will be useful to ask a new tourist visa).

Well OK, I will talk to the embassy here and ask them for a tourist visa. If they wont give it to me I will just buy an onward ticket from BKK to Pnom Penh with AirAsia, it only costs about 2000 baht anyway.

Edited by Hex

FWIW, 4 years ago, the Thai embassy in Sweden did not demand you show a return ticket when applying for a tourist visa - and I have been asked about a return ticket once when using a tourist visa, but told them I have a tourist visa, showed it to them in the passport, and that was enough - back then, anyway.

Sorry if the info is a bit dated, but I thought I should post anyway.

There is no such Thai Government visa rule.

Absolutely NO requirement for a return ticket is also shown on airline reservations systems under the TIMATIC section, which i asked for visa and air ticket requiremenst for Swedish national flying to BKK.

I've been entering Thailand for ten years now on a one way ticket. I work offshore on a five/six week on/off rotation. Whenever I return to Thailand it is on a one way ticket. My company normally sends me my outgoing ticket information after four weeks at home in Thailand.

I have been asked a handfull of times over the years about a return or onward ticket when checking in. Mostly when departing from Australia, once from Korea, but never from Europe. They usually ask me if I have proof of funds to purchase an onward ticket, and showing them a credit card has been enough to satisy them in the past. They ask the question based on what ever information they have in front of them on the computer. Where that information originates from though I do not know. It cannot be a law that you must have an onward ticket otherwise they would have stopped me and others I know by now. These days I try to keep a valid multi entry type O visa which seems to keep them happy. Most of my years though I have entered on a thirty day tourist visa.

I entered on a tourist visa, with a o/w ticket recently (April 2007) and had no problems.

There may be possible problems with visa exemption (i.e. having no visa) and a o/w ticket, since r/t ticket is a formal requirement for entry without a visa (seldom enforced as everything in Thailand, but required by the airline since it's their liability if you're refused). As long as you have an actual visa, you will be fine.

Some consulates require a r/t ticket to issue the tourist visa, but many do not.

usually it is the airlines that <deleted> you up. They alwasy love to quote - the carrier is responsible for return airfare etc...

in fact most countries - england I am told is an exception let you fly to some nearby location and grab a visa there or buy ticket etc...

The key is to fly with a good airlines. - aircanada is especially bad at this. they have tried to refuse me on a return ticket to hk when hk gov does not require exit proof. <deleted> - aircanada!

you just dont know for sure i got in twice on one way tickets ( but class O visa) and they never ask for a return ticket but if you get a picky immigration dude that day he may ask for to see a ticket the travel agent here didnt want to sell me a one way saying thais rules state you need a return or a ticket out of there to enter but like i told the agent its my problem i know they never askked me before to see my ticket .....

but maybe i like to play with fire LOl

Hi,

Maybe I'm lucky but, I've entered Thailand seven times in just over a year and each time they never asked to see a return ticket.

Three times by air from Europe

Once by air from Cambodia

Once by air from Vietnam

With these I had a one year multiple entry

Once by minibus from Penang with no visa

Once by train from Penang with no visa.

I am flying one way from Penang to Bangkok next week with a 60 day-visa. It was notable that Air Aisia's on-line booking tried to get me to buy a return ticket, they stated that I need this without a visa. I just booked the one-way. I think there is a little bit of marketing going on here with the airlines, in that they are taking advantage of Thai visa rules.

My bit on the subject!

Maceo

I have been coming here for years on a tourist visa and now on a non immigrant O, and have never been asked for a return ticket. My company pays my air fares and I allways get a one way e- ticket. The only problems I ever encounter is when working in the USA, they are so far up their own arse it is unbelievable.

Is there any economic advantage in getting a one-way ticket? I know there are some really cheap deals that require you to return within a month or perhaps 2 months or 3. The fact is, at some point you have to return unless you are emigrating to Thailand, although you might be going onward to another destination. The only issues I see are, (1) Is your return ticket valid for a sufficient period of time? (2) Is it cheaper to buy two separate one-way tickets? (3) Do you not know where your next destination will be?

Just for the procedure in the States, the only one I know, not relevant to the OP. You don't need any ticket of any kind to get a tourist visa (have had 4 of these, 3 from from LA, one Boston) or a B visa have had 3 of these, what I'm on now. AFAIK, if you have any visa, the airline will let you on. Never heard of anybody having a problem at Thai immigration at BKK as long as they had a visa already, though the usual TIT phrase applies. The problem arises, which I have witnessed others having, on China Air, Cathay, and Delta, so far, when somebody tries a one way or even a round trip with no visa, then things get iffy.

Edited by calibanjr.

usually it is the airlines that <deleted> you up. They alwasy love to quote - the carrier is responsible for return airfare etc...

Hit the nail on the head, there. Over 30 trips to LoS from Japan on various carriers, mostly with one-way ticket & toursist visa. Queried many times by check-in staff, though never refused boarding.

One airline always requireds me to fill out an indemnity form stating they won't be responsible if I'm refused entry, just to cover their a**e.

'course never ever been asked to show a return tkt upon arrival.

Conclusion: Airline/travel agency policy based on myth!

:o

I think this has just about been answered to death. I hope I can summarise it and pronounce it dead.

1. You are unlikely to be stopped or asked for an onward ticket at Thai immigration.

2. If you have a tourist visa they don't seem to care about your onward ticket. Maybe they figure once your tourist visa runs out, you either get a new visa or they will catch you and throw you in jail.

3. I have been asked once by the airline in over twenty years of coming to Bangkok for an onward ticket. I was shown the table in the airline handbook the person at the counter was using who checked me on to the flight. The table clearly showed Thailand as a destination "requiring onward ticket for entry by those without visa". Notice I said onward ticket and not return ticket. I was asked to purchase and onward ticket. I purchased and paid for a ticket to Penang. Problem solved. When in BKK I used that portion of my original ticket as credit on my final return ticket. This was in Copenhagen, and the airline was SAS.

4. So, especially with a visa, your chances of needing that ticket are very low. "Up to you" as the bargirls would say. Take your chances.

:D

Here is a link to the Hull, UK, Thai consulate website which answers your question.

Hope this helps.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Aj%20%20...ht%20Ticket.pdf

Well OK, I will talk to the embassy here and ask them for a tourist visa. If they wont give it to me I will just buy an onward ticket from BKK to Pnom Penh with AirAsia, it only costs about 2000 baht anyway.

Lucky for you if that works out, but I would not count on it for all embassies. In Norway they will not accept it, the return ticket has to be to Norway (or at least somewhere in Europe). With an onward ticket to Malaysia, no T-Visa is given!