Advice On Retirement Visa

Hi, my 85-year-old mother will be coming to live here permanently at the end of this year and I’d love some input, if anyone has any, on the best way – and where – she should go about applying for a retirement visa.

She’s French by birth but a British passport holder who is currently living in Nice, France, so she could apply, I imagine, either through Paris or London, where she intends spending three months before flying to Bangkok. The Bt800,000 equivalent that she’ll also need to show as evidence of the necessary finances is also in a UK bank account, and given that most visas are only valid for use within 90 days of date of issue, I think London may be a better option. I’m assuming that Monaco, which is just the road but only as an honorary consular general status, isn’t able to issue retirement visas????

I know she will need a report from the police stating she has no criminal record as well as a medical certificate, so assuming she is to apply from London, should she get these two from France and have official translations made? Does she also need the same documents issued in England (she lived in Essex from 1946 to 1975?

Sorry for this long post, but all advice would be most welcome, as would any other suggestions as to other documentation she may need.

I would rather she obtained the retirement before coming here as at her age, I’m not sure she’ll want to leave Thailand again within 90 days of arriving here.

Thanks

Hi, my 85-year-old mother will be coming to live here permanently at the end of this year and I’d love some input, if anyone has any, on the best way – and where – she should go about applying for a retirement visa.

She’s French by birth but a British passport holder who is currently living in Nice, France, so she could apply, I imagine, either through Paris or London, where she intends spending three months before flying to Bangkok. The Bt800,000 equivalent that she’ll also need to show as evidence of the necessary finances is also in a UK bank account, and given that most visas are only valid for use within 90 days of date of issue, I think London may be a better option. I’m assuming that Monaco, which is just the road but only as an honorary consular general status, isn’t able to issue retirement visas????

I know she will need a report from the police stating she has no criminal record as well as a medical certificate, so assuming she is to apply from London, should she get these two from France and have official translations made? Does she also need the same documents issued in England (she lived in Essex from 1946 to 1975?

Sorry for this long post, but all advice would be most welcome, as would any other suggestions as to other documentation she may need.

I would rather she obtained the retirement before coming here as at her age, I’m not sure she’ll want to leave Thailand again within 90 days of arriving here.

Thanks

Does she have more than 65k per month income ? If so she could come on a 30 days stamp or on a tourist visa (much easier to obtain) and do the extension in Thailand without the need to go out of Thailand.

If she wants to go the 800k baht route, she will need to have the 800k in an account in a bank in Thailand for 3 months before applying for the extension which might mean a border run.

She could also as you suggested go for the Non-Immigrant OA visa which will give her a 1 year stamp upon arrival in Thailand.

This visa requires the medical and the police record which is a pain depending which country and where you apply.

If she has not lived in the UK it might be difficult to get a police record from the UK, find out first before deciding on UK for application.

I would suggest a Non Imm O visa based on the "wish to retire in Thailand with my son/daughter".

Most consulates will issue this.

This will give her 3 months on entry and time to establish the money in the bank for the extension application. :o

Thanks

Does she have more than 65k per month income ? If so she could come on a 30 days stamp or on a tourist visa (much easier to obtain) and do the extension in Thailand without the need to go out of Thailand.

If she wants to go the 800k baht route, she will need to have the 800k in an account in a bank in Thailand for 3 months before applying for the extension which might mean a border run.

She could also as you suggested go for the Non-Immigrant OA visa which will give her a 1 year stamp upon arrival in Thailand.

This visa requires the medical and the police record which is a pain depending which country and where you apply.

If she has not lived in the UK it might be difficult to get a police record from the UK, find out first before deciding on UK for application.

Hi, thanks for the answers. No, her income, from her pension, is lower than Bt65k/month and the problem with the Bt800k is, as you say, the three-month requirement for the bank account, as well as the difficulties in opening a bank account without having a retirement visa in the first place. My bank has already refused to help out, despite my having been a client for the best part of 12 years.

Has anyone had success in opening a savings account with an non imm O visa?

I would suggest a Non Imm O visa based on the "wish to retire in Thailand with my son/daughter".

This will give her 3 months on entry and time to establish the money in the bank for the extension application. :o

I agree - easiest would be - Non Imm O visa based on the "wish to retire in Thailand "

The Honoury Consul in Hull is reputedly very helpful

AND - if there is not sufficient time - to arrange a Bank deposit for 3 months - apply for the annual extension any way - and expect to be given a one month extension in which to satisfy the 3 month requirement.

Also remember that Immigration Officers are given a great amount of Discretion and can be very helpful

- they may decide not to adhere strictly to 3 months for an 85 year old Lady

No, her income, from her pension, is lower than Bt65k/month and the problem with the Bt800k is, as you say, the three-month requirement for the bank account

One very brave lady.

To get a Non Imm O 1 year extension you can combine her income and a bank deposit so if her income was say Bt33k/month she would need to have Bt400,000 in the bank account, but yes for 3 months. Good luck.

Many thanks to all of you for your advice on my mother's pending retirement here. I'll suggest she applies for a Non Imm O visa based on the "wish to retire in Thailand with my son/daughter", which seems to be the consensus, and in the meantime am asking friends if they know bank managers who might be disposed to assisting in opening an account for her as soon as she arrives.

As it seems likely she'll be staying in London for three months before making the move, she'll probably have to apply for the visa through the Thai embassy there. Does anyone see any problems with making the application thru the London embassy, or would she better curtailing her visit to the UK and getting the visa through the consulate in Monaco?

Any ideas?

Also, while I know that the requirement for a medical exam has been dropped, might she be asked for one in view of her advanced age (she is in good health but my health insurance company has refused to take her on)?

As it seems likely she'll be staying in London for three months before making the move, she'll probably have to apply for the visa through the Thai embassy there. Does anyone see any problems with making the application thru the London embassy,

As she has a British passport, I'm sure it will be assumed her residence is UK, in fact it has been so no problems.

The RTE in London do not accept postal applications but will return the passport to you if you provide a special delivery envelope. However it may be easier for her to apply through the Thai Consulate in Hull who will accept postal applications.

If she has a planned trip to London anyhow why not get the visa by mail from Hull Consulate? Believe that would be a better choice than London Embassy. There should not be any medical requirement as this was just a check for specific short list of conditions - not a general medical checkup.

Just out of curiosity, at 85 she may be needing a lot of medical attention one day soon. Can she use her medical benefits from back home in Thai hospitals.

If she becomes incapacitated or unable to take care of herself are there nursing homes in Bangkok that cater to western people ?

In respone to "egeefay" ... Never heard of any Thai hospital accepting Western medical benefits, nor do I know of any Thai nursing homes in Bangkok that cater specifically to western people, although I would assume that if you have plenty of money - which we don't - anything is possible

For lopburi3: thanks for the advice re the Hull consulate, I'll suggest she follows that option. Will she need to write to them to ask for the form or can it be downloaded (if so, would you happen to have the website handy??). Thanks again.

Good idea, but I would try to get two entries on that, not one. With one, there wouldn't be time to season money for over 3 months, as you have to go in some weeks before expiry for the one year extension in Thailand.