Driving From Bkk To Phuket

JRinger

Can anyone tell me the best and safest Hwys/roads to Phuket from Bangkok?

Is is best to drive to Suratthani then cut inland?

Much thanks

Assuming that you are in the "centre" of Bangkok get onto the expressway an follow the signs for Dao Kanong. This will eventually take you over the Chao Praya river. You will cross a very modern bridge. On the other side of the bridge the road splits and the sign says Dao Kanong or Samut Sakon. Take the Samut Sakon road which will lead you off the expressway.

Follow this road for about 80 kilometers passing Samut Sakon and Samut Songkran. Eventually the road will split again with Ratchaburi to the north and Petchburi to the South. Follow the Petchburi route. About 35 kilometers after Petchburi follow the singns for Prachuap Kiri Kan (unless you want to stop over in Hua Hin - the Hua Hin road meets up with the Prachuap road again at Pranburi).

Just keep following this road through Prachuap and on to Chumpon. (At Chumpon you have the option of turning right and going via Ranong to Phuket. This is a long winding road for many, many miles, so unless you have loads of time and want the scenic route don't go that way).

Just continue from Chumpon via Lang Suan towards Surat Thani. You will see signs for Surat Thani Co-op. When you reach this don't proceed off the road towards Surat Thani town but continue for another 10 or so kilometers. Don't go over the overpass here (its called Phunpin) but take the sliproad to the left and turn right under the overpass. It should be signposted Phuket 200k here. This road is signposted all the way either to Phuket or Phang Nga. Its very winding in parts and you pass through a number of towns where you have to make some turns. Just keep looking for the signs.

You will eventually come to Phang Nga where a T junction goes to the town (right) and Phuket (left). Follow this road until you cross Sarasin bridge. You are in Phuket.

If you want a simpler (but longer route) continue over the overpass at Phumpin for about 40k. A new road cuts across coutry towards Krabi. This is an excellent highway with very little traffic (and very scenic if done in daylight). When this road ends (just north of Krabi) turn right for Phang Nga.

Unless you are a super fast driver expect the journey to take about 10 hours allowing for fuel and refreshment stops.

If you are comfortable driving in the dark consider doing it overnight as there is much less traffic.

Good luck.

P.S. On your return journey be sure to look out for the turnoff to Samut Songkran about 35k north of Petchburi. It is very easy to miss and Bangkok is signposted straight ahead via Ratchaburi and Nakon Pathom, but that will add 90k to your journey.

Totally agree with the previous poster, except for the time of the trip: I normally do this at night, drive fast with nearly no breaks, and it takes me about 10 hours. So during daytime or if you're a slower driver, count on about 12 hours.

My only addition to the above excellent guide is to always take the second route to Phuket (my map isnt here for the rd numbers) that goes further south than Surat and brings you closer to Krabi at the coast, this rd is ruler straight and dual carriageway with low traffic.. superb rd and quite safe even at high speeds, much quicker if you drive as the road allows as the initial route is winding and brings you down if staying safe.

As stated unless you have a reason to see the coast Rd the Ranong way takes a lot longer..

10h is quite reasonable on clear Rds without being mad about speed, I have done an 8.5h run through the night but admit to keeping a lead boot when there was no traffic.

There's quite a bit of road construction between BKK and Petchaburi. Depending on the time of day expect some heavy traffic.

I like to break up the trip in Cha Am, Ranong. (hot spring hotel in Ranong) And the road is very pretty. There are also comfortable accommodations in Chumpon.

If you're intent on making fast time. Be sure to get on the new 4 lane highway between Surat Thani an Krabi. The road isn't on many maps and the signs out of Surat Thani will direct you on the older road which is under construction.

Get a copy of the 2006 michelin road atlas. It's only 350 baht and well worth it.

just did the drive took 35 out of bkk to 4 then all the way down to chumpon then cut across 4006 back to 4 which is nice n short, watch out on the way back as 4006 is marked as 426 at the turn off from 4, 13 hours from Pattaya to Chalong, same back, about 1000k each way. Mostly in the rain too

Have done this trip many times. Agree with excellent earlier posts, but would add one thing. Take the exit and go through Hua Hin as this avoids the bad roads, heavy trucks etc., and the road is mostly all new this way. Much better, and is a well known trick given me years ago by a tour bus driver.

Have done this trip many times. Agree with excellent earlier posts, but would add one thing. Take the exit and go through Hua Hin as this avoids the bad roads, heavy trucks etc., and the road is mostly all new this way. Much better, and is a well known trick given me years ago by a tour bus driver.

No need to do that one anymore unless you are stopping at Hua Hin or Cha Am. The main highway has been resurfaced and is now the much faster route. It was a real boneshaker before.

No need to do that one anymore unless you are stopping at Hua Hin or Cha Am. The main highway has been resurfaced and is now the much faster route. It was a real boneshaker before.

90% of the road south is in pretty good to excellent shape. The bad bits are between HuaHin and BKK. Much is under construction so 12 months from now should show improvement.