UK offers Hong Kong residents route to citizenship, angering China

rooster59

UK offers Hong Kong residents route to citizenship, angering China

By Yew Lun Tian and William James

2021-01-29T135108Z_1_LYNXMPEH0S11Y_RTROPTP_4_HONGKONG-SECURITY-BRITAIN-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A Star Ferry boat crosses Victoria Harbour in front of a skyline of buildings in Hong Kong, China June 29, 2020. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu/File Photo

BEIJING/LONDON (Reuters) - Hong Kong residents can apply from Sunday for a new visa giving them the chance to become British citizens following China's crackdown in the former colony, but Beijing said it will no longer recognise the special British passport already in use.

UK government forecasts say the new visa could attract more than 300,000 people and their dependents to Britain. Beijing said it would make them second-class citizens.

Britain and China have been arguing for months about what London and Washington say is an attempt to silence dissent in Hong Kong after huge pro-democracy protests in 2019 and 2020.

Britain says it is fulfilling a historic and moral commitment to the people of Hong Kong after Beijing imposed a new security law on the semi-autonomous city that Britain says breaches the terms of agreements under which the colony was handed back to China in 1997.

"I am immensely proud that we have brought in this new route for Hong Kong BN(O)s to live, work and make their home in our country," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, referring to a special British National Overseas (BNO) passport holders.

But China and the Hong Kong government hit back by saying they would no longer recognise the BNO passport as a valid travel document from Sunday, Jan. 31.

"Britain is trying to turn large numbers of Hong Kong people into second-class British citizens. This has completely changed the original nature of BNO," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a briefing.

Beijing's imposition of a national security law in Hong Kong in June last year prompted Britain to offer refuge to almost 3 million Hong Kong residents eligible for the BNO passport from Jan. 31.

The scheme, first announced last year, opens on Sunday and allows those with British National (Overseas) status to live, study and work in Britain for five years and eventually apply for citizenship.

BN(O) is a special status created under British law in 1987 that specifically relates to Hong Kong.

Britain's foreign ministry said it was disappointed but not surprised by Beijing's decision not to recognise the BNO passport.

China's move is largely symbolic as Hong Kong residents would not normally use their BNO passports to travel to the mainland.

A BNO passport holder in Hong Kong could still use their Hong Kong passport or identity card.

The 250 pound ($340) visa could attract more than 300,000 people and their dependents to Britain and generate up to 2.9 billion pounds of net benefit to the British economy over the next five years, according to government forecasts.

It is still highly uncertain how many people will actually take up the offer.

China says the West's views on its actions over Hong Kong are clouded by misinformation and an imperial hangover.

(Reporting by Yew Lun Tian and William James; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-30

So, the British government carried out a public relations stunt, and announced that maybe 300,000 Chinese from Hong Kong will be allowed to enter Britain. Was this deliberately done to make Beijing look bad ?

And now that the stunt has been announced, yes, a load of Chinese might actually turn up in Britain. We've got enough Chinese take-away food shops, and Chinese chip shops. But still, I don't have a problem with more Chinese, or more foreigners, coming into Britain. But I do know though, lots of them who voted for Brexit, they wanted to see less foreigners coming into Britain.

Yeah, take back control of immigration. And to think, the problem was not actually a load of Polish or Romanians entering Britain. Eastern Europeans are actually white. 'Control of immigration' really meant a reduction in the number of coloureds entering Britain.
And these Chinese who might be entering Britain, they are coloured, right ?   ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Boris Johnson has back himself into a corner after making the BNO pledge in July. He will have to give the people a sound explanation as to how the government will fund the new policy especially healthcare and education when the UK economy is dire. These are the 2 “carrots” that are dangled to entice Hong Kong citizens to leave while waiting 6 years to get their UK citizenship.

I think many Hong Kongnites will choose to remain rather than start a new life. Many will not want to leave behind their elderly parents which is frowned upon in Chinese society or to learn a new language or worse endure British weather. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, najomtiensun said:

The more the merrier as far as I can see. The Chinese bring hard work,thrift and family values they will help post Brexit Britain to be on steroids. 

As long as you can tolerate their curt ways.  I know my wife is one. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

"I am immensely proud that we havue brought in this new route for Hong Kong BN(O)s to live, work and make their home in our country," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, referring to a special British National Overseas (BNO) passport holders.”

Non of this would have been necessary except for the ‘British Nationality Act 1981’ .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I really don't give two hoots as to what the Chinese government think anymore. They clearly only care about power and control.

You could also easily replace "Chinese" with "American" or "British". 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Boris Johnson has back himself into a corner after making the BNO pledge in July. He will have to give the people a sound explanation as to how the government will fund the new policy especially healthcare and education when the UK economy is dire. These are the 2 “carrots” that are dangled to entice Hong Kong citizens to leave while waiting 6 years to get their UK citizenship.

I think many Hong Kongnites will choose to remain rather than start a new life. Many will not want to leave behind their elderly parents which is frowned upon in Chinese society or to learn a new language or worse endure British weather. 

The majority of HK dwellers already speak English , are well paid  and highly qualified in their professional fields . It will be seen as a brain drain by the Chinese and a brilliant acquisition by the newly formed non EU British government .     My concern is where will the 300,000 applicants and their dependents live in a country already  short of housing ?      Charity starts at home but money comes first it seems . I feel for all the expats who have been denied in trying to take their wives to live in the UK along with all the red tape and monetary qualifications that accompany the applications . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, the British government carried out a public relations stunt, and announced that maybe 300,000 Chinese from Hong Kong will be allowed to enter Britain. Was this deliberately done to make Beijing look bad ?

And now that the stunt has been announced, yes, a load of Chinese might actually turn up in Britain. We've got enough Chinese take-away food shops, and Chinese chip shops. But still, I don't have a problem with more Chinese, or more foreigners, coming into Britain. But I do know though, lots of them who voted for Brexit, they wanted to see less foreigners coming into Britain.

Yeah, take back control of immigration. And to think, the problem was not actually a load of Polish or Romanians entering Britain. Eastern Europeans are actually white. 'Control of immigration' really meant a reduction in the number of coloureds entering Britain.
And these Chinese who might be entering Britain, they are coloured, right ?   ????

No, they're completely transparent.

I notice that a lot of Brits are generally coloured a sort of rancid pork colour

Anyway, won't keep you. 1957 is desperate to have you back.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

It all depends on which Hong Kong residents they are trying to attract.  I lived there for a little over two years and was a frequent traveler there for over twenty.  The Chinese living in Hong Kong  come in all shapes and sizes and levels of education.  Certainly  the younger ones would adapt well and they all speak English pretty well.  Especially the university educated ones.  I would think they would be a good addition to the UK.

However, many of the older Chinese would be reluctant to leave for the UK.  More likely they would try to integrate back onto the mainland.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It all depends on which Hong Kong residents they are trying to attract.  I lived there for a little over two years and was a frequent traveler there for over twenty.  The Chinese living in Hong Kong  come in all shapes and sizes and levels of education.  Certainly  the younger ones would adapt well and they all speak English pretty well.  Especially the university educated ones.  I would think they would be a good addition to the UK.

However, many of the older Chinese would be reluctant to leave for the UK.  More likely they would try to integrate back onto the mainland.

Interesting that you mention the issue of the university educated ones, and the younger ones. This BNO passport, so the ones who have got a BNO passport are allowed to apply for this special visa to Britain. And all those who are eligible to apply for the BNO, they can then apply for the special visa after applying for the BNO.

And, supposedly, most of the people in Hong Kong prior to the 1997 Handover were allowed a BNO.  And right now as we speak,  those born in Hong Kong prior to the 1997 Handover are still allowed to get a BNO. 1997 was 24 years ago.  So, those born in Hong Kong in 1998 and after, they're aged 22 or over, they're not likely to get a BNO.  ????

I really do think the vast majority of the people in Hong Kong are not going to live in Britain on a permanent basis.  I think it's likely that only some of the 300,000 will actually turn up in Britain and stay several months. They're likely to go home to Hong Kong once they've got permanent residence for Britain, or once they get full British citizenship. They only want permanent residence status for Britain, or full British citizenship, so that they can come/return to Britain if things turn really bad in Hong Kong.

Most Hong Kong people are driven and motivated by money and jobs. A lot of them already earn good money in Hong Kong, they're not going to want to live in Britain and do a job with the same pay, or less pay. And nearly all of them are not interested in British culture or British identity and history. Bit like them Polish people and other East Europeans, money and work is what motivates them. ????

And anyway, in Hong Kong, they've got their religious freedom, and they're allowed to read any book or newspaper that is available in the rest of the world.  ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hey, don't paint us Brexiteers as rascist.  I'm actually quite happy to accommodate these Hong Kongers.

Most of these will come with money, and likely skilled & hard working.

Completely different to the poor boat people that keep turning up on our shores without even a passport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

And, supposedly, most of the people in Hong Kong prior to the 1997 Handover were allowed a BNO.  And right now as we speak,  those born in Hong Kong prior to the 1997 Handover are still allowed to get a BNO. 1997 was 24 years ago.  So, those born in Hong Kong in 1998 and after, they're aged 22 or over, they're not likely to get a BNO.  ????

I really do think the vast majority of the people in Hong Kong are not going to live in Britain on a permanent basis.  I think it's likely that only some of the 300,000 will actually turn up in Britain and stay several months. They're likely to go home to Hong Kong once they've got permanent residence for Britain, or once they get full British citizenship. They only want permanent residence status for Britain, or full British citizenship, so that they can come/return to Britain if things turn really bad in Hong Kong.

I think you will find (from my observations as they are) that those that are most likely to consider fleeing HK are the ones that have school age children...  unlike when HK was handed over where you had many come to ABC of the commonwealth... because of the fear of the handover... then many eventually went back to work in HK after that fear did not come to fruition.... the difference is ... it is now that that fear is becoming reality and there is no illusions that HK will just be part of China proper and China proper will not reform itself.  Schools in HK will how have their education 'reformed' into China/CPP indoctrination centres.

• Like 1