10 Years Younger

Kringle

Just got my Thai drivers license and what a trip it was. First I went to the Non Tha Buri office with all my paperwork in order but the resident form I had forgotten to put down the province when I filled it out. I said I can write Non Tha Buri on it as I had filled everything else on the form but they said "no". Went to Thai immigration to get the form but was told they would mail it to the police in my town, they would come by my house to make sure I live there and they would mail it back and then Immigration would mail it to me. Well I went back to the license office with my embassy statement of address with the province filled in by me and they accepted it. Listened to the instructor tell everyone about the rules and sign meanings (all in Thai, which I could not understand) but that was cool because they did supply a book in English. One essay question and 29 more multiple choice and barely passed the test. Some questions you have to pick the best answer not just correct or all of the above.

The best part was watching the people taking the driving portion, and I do mean it was a hoot. After the motorcycles it was time for the car and trucks. All you have to do is pull up to an incline,stop, wait for the whistle, drive forward, make a curving right turn and then stop by the control office just like you were going to park next to a curb. One of the first girls out did everything except when she came up to make the stop, she hits a pole and knocks over the bricks next to the office. I guess it was her father who just looked at her and smiled. (she did not pass) I would say most could not stop where they were supposed to and the majority could not back into the slot they have lined with moveable posts,last part of the test (guys and gals of all ages). If I would of had more time, I would have stayed and just watched the show. :o

They did say that I could not get the motorcycle license on that day but come back with a new set of forms and no problem. The best I can say is: Be polite and have "everything" in order. I just love Thailand. :D

I forgot to put this: On my license, they have me 10 years younger than I am (just a mistake on birth date). Now the wife says she's older than me, great stuff. :D I was told before I went that you could rent a car for the test for 60 baht but they charged me 100, no worries, still a fun half day.

Edited by Kringle

If any of the young chicks query your age, tell 'em that you have been a bit unwell but recovering fast.

Strange, my Thai licence has had me ten years younger for the last fifteen years, however, I went to get a new five year licence the other day, and the alert lady officer spotted it. No problem, she said lightly, we'll fix that. Well fix it she did!!

I got the licence in five minutes flat (new system is great) BUT....they had me down as ten years older! I went back to her, smiled politely, and said, "do I really look that old" She smiled back and said yes! Do you have another photo? She asked. Do I ever. Always go prepared. Another five minutes, and new one issued.

That's another chore aout of the way for another five years......

Yo Maijo, good advice on the photo idea and I'll get some ready for when I go for the motorcycle license next. Been kinda fun flashing the license around. :o

Yea Dr. , I've got to do something about all that grey hair. Maybe do like the Thais' and do the dye job but with the face stubble being even more grey, it kinda defeats the purpose. :D He11, I don't care, the ladies still love me no matter what I look like. Guess it helps to be a sweetmouthed guy and just like to have fun. :D