Thai hospitality magnate calls on govt to allow vaccinated foreigners entry into Thailand

webfact

there is a very big difference between Seychelles and Thailand and Phuket.

In Seychelles tourists can be taken taken out from the airport by helicopters (tourists coming here are affluent, can afford it, even if one in a lifetime travel experience) or on a private speedboat and taken to a very private island resort which they would never leave.

In contrast Phuket is a few hundred population island and served mass tourism, a large part of tourists are budget, coming on charter flights organised by travel agencies. Samui is upscale, because they have little direct international flights and very expensive connecting flights to bangkok and phuket. Pattaya is right on the outskirts of Bangkok, 1.5h drive, with Thai tourists taking full one day trips or weekend 1-2 nights stay.

In no time there would be different virus mutations from all over the world, from which present vaccinations would not fully protect.

There is no harm to do tests for all incomers.

There is a need for a form isolation - people on islands staying in beach resorts for some period and allowed to move within 1km radius, but not mixing with the general local population.

I know his business is collapsing, because his business model is very dependent on an international tourists, but I have no any sympathy for his proposals. He is profit motivated, with  disregard to health risk even to his workers.

I don't think hotel and tourism workers are priority for vax. Tourists coming to his hotels will be staying for weeks at time, they won't be hopping between hotels all over the country for 1 night sightseeing trips. Surely postal workers, shop attendants and countless other groups are much more exposed to people traffic, than a receptionist in an upscale resort

Edited by internationalism
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Whale said:

met him twice at the end of last century. I would not trust him as far as I could throw a jeep. All his opinions are based on improving his profit irrespective

That's odd, I know him and he spoke highly of you , how's the whale going he said , still chasing hookers up and down beach Rd ????

Seriously that's his job to push for profits. What you expect him do? And besides it makes good sense 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Surely for this to happen there needs to be some sort of standard for acceptable vaccinations, otherwise why make statements that only vaccines that pass the Thai standards will be acceptable for distribution.

The normal standard for international acceptance of a vaccine is for it to get an Emergency Use Listing (EUL) from the WHO. So far, only the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has received this endorsement from the WHO. None of the other vaccines has this stamp of international approval yet.

• Thanks 1

Well as a business guy involved in the Tourist industry 

He would come out saying about giving the vaccine to hospitality 

Workers first

I would think the Thai government would have different priorities like the old sick and workers involved in nursing homes hospitals schools  ect

But this is Thailand time will tell who gets what first

I heard of this guy when the coup happened and his views so I'm not particularly impressed, however I fully agree with his plea for the urgency in procuring more vaccines. My only criticism being that this should be the very first paragraph because everything else in his open letter hinges on this actually happening.

Thai-hospitality-magnate-calls.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The same is true of any vaccine you care to mention. None of them gives 100% protection.

Depending on which vaccine you're talking about, you would have reduced you chances of getting ill by up to 95%. It's not clear yet whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus but early indications are that chances of transmission are greatly reduced, even if they're not completely eliminated.

Not unless herd immunity is reached. Just think of closed areas like airplanes. A dog with fleas.

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Not unless herd immunity is reached. Just think of closed areas like airplanes. A dog with fleas.

The points I mentioned (95% reduction of Covid risk and an overall, if as yet unquantified, reduction of transmission rates) are true regardless of herd immunity considerations.

Herd immunity is a totally separate issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Thailand seem to have abandoned the zero case goal

i don't think so

but maybe you have informations i haven't

why do you think the Thai authorities are not anymore in a suppression goal ?

Anyway Mr Bill needs to be patient, very patient

as Thailand plan to having vaccinate 70% of his population at the end of 2022

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-arranges-to-vaccinate-70-of-population-by-end-of-2022-341942

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The points I mentioned (95% reduction of Covid risk and an overall, if as yet unquantified, reduction of transmission rates) are true regardless of herd immunity considerations.

Herd immunity is a totally separate issue.

All we can do is wait and see once conclusive. Even considering some rare odd mutations it is still yet not known if the vaccines will remain 95% effective. There are now certainly many new factors coming about like the folk who are already vaccinated testing positive who can potentially become unknowing carriers leaving uncertainties for the general public. Doesn't mean they will have any effects at all, but every transmission possibility needs to be considered. I really just hope this comes to a quick end as this is no way for the world to live.

• Like 1