Whare To Go In Chalong

samui bill

Nice Restaurants include;

The Family (Israeli/Mediteranean food) - Great food and pretty cheap - Shawarma, Tahini etc...

Green Man (English Style Pub) - Although service has taken a dive over the last year or so.

Pizza 2000 (Pizza's) - Great Pizzas and they do delivery as well

The Pier (Kan Eang @ Pier) is good for Seafood and a beer

For an excellent reasonably priced steak and german wheat beer try the Swiss Delight.

For the best thai seafood on the island: Palai restaurant, past the zoo on the beach. Great oysters. Go mid to late afternoon. Evenings it's crowded and service become slow.

Salvadores in Phuket town has some of the best Italian food around.

Jimmy's lighthouse has a great hamburgers and view of the bay.

"Something fishy" has good fish and chips, meat pies burgers and such.

For something different try the restaurant and bar at the Mangosteen resort. On the hill halfway between Chalong and Rawai.

Don's in NaiHarn used to be pretty good but I haven't been for a couple of years. They were famous for the saturday all you can eat BBQ.

• 3 weeks later...
hi i have just moved to chalong from koh samui(thank god)i am looking for places for a beer and some nice restaurants in the area any ideas? thanks.

Hi Bill

Drop in to Baan Kiki around tea time, its known as the "local's local" hidden away on the left 1.1/2 km from Chalong circle on the road to central festival. The local ex pats chin wag here, over a beer, on a regular basis.

Jim

hi i have just moved to chalong from koh samui(thank god)i am looking for places for a beer and some nice restaurants in the area any ideas? thanks.

Hi Bill

Drop in to Baan Kiki around tea time, its known as the "local's local" hidden away on the left 1.1/2 km from Chalong circle on the road to central festival. The local ex pats chin wag here, over a beer, on a regular basis.

Jim

Nice to see youv'e figured out how to post m8 ! :D

not to mention the odd pool party eh ? :o

For an excellent reasonably priced steak and german wheat beer try the Swiss Delight.

For the best thai seafood on the island: Palai restaurant, past the zoo on the beach. Great oysters. Go mid to late afternoon. Evenings it's crowded and service become slow.

Salvadores in Phuket town has some of the best Italian food around.

Jimmy's lighthouse has a great hamburgers and view of the bay.

"Something fishy" has good fish and chips, meat pies burgers and such.

For something different try the restaurant and bar at the Mangosteen resort. On the hill halfway between Chalong and Rawai.

Don's in NaiHarn used to be pretty good but I haven't been for a couple of years. They were famous for the saturday all you can eat BBQ.

Depends on your definition of good, what you get out of 'something fishy' is far below what i would call 'poor', never mind 'good'... depends on your tastes i guess.

Also i'd have to recommend 'Fatties' for good steak/meat based dishes, much cheaper than swiss delight and similar quality (and larger portions!)

Hello Samui bill,

I can warn you against one rather famous place, Mom tri's boathouse. Hotel looked great, but pricey. At the restaurant we were served some very good prawn cocktail and deep fried tiger prawns and some spoiled crabs. Yup the crabs had gone off, their putrid odor was enough to put us off much of the rest of the meal. Our several complaints brought nothing other than an apology. We did not eat the creepy crustaceans and thought some monetary refund in order. No dice.

On a plus side I can recommend Baan Kiki as an out of the way watering hole peopled by some real characters. If you go please give my best to Baan Kiki, Alan, and Stoney plus the others.

Best

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Hello Samui bill,

I can warn you against one rather famous place, Mom tri's boathouse. Hotel looked great, but pricey. At the restaurant we were served some very good prawn cocktail and deep fried tiger prawns and some spoiled crabs. Yup the crabs had gone off, their putrid odor was enough to put us off much of the rest of the meal. Our several complaints brought nothing other than an apology. We did not eat the creepy crustaceans and thought some monetary refund in order. No dice.

God I hate places like that.

For the best seafood on the island the Parlai restaurant is the place!

Welcome to Chalong ....... Of the places listed above ... give a thumbs up to Jimmy's Lighthouse (especially for lunch - great view over the bay and good Thai and farang food), Kiki's .... 'interesting' .... and fish and chips there is great, Green Man ... Sunday brunch. For sundowners a drive down to Nikita's (Rawai) is worth it.

The food at Kan Eang 1 by the pier is rubbish. Parlai Seafood used to be good years ago, but, is now resting on it's laurels, though it's still cheap.

Try Kan Eang 2 or Danang on Chalong Bay, or, Hat Rawai Seafood restaurant at the end of Rawai beach.

Depends on your definition of good, what you get out of 'something fishy' is far below what i would call 'poor', never mind 'good'... depends on your tastes i guess.

Also i'd have to recommend 'Fatties' for good steak/meat based dishes, much cheaper than swiss delight and similar quality (and larger portions!)

I heard "something fishy" has a new owner. Went once shortly after the original owner opened and it was ok.

Where's "Fatties". I should try that!

. Parlai Seafood used to be good years ago, but, is now resting on it's laurels, though it's still cheap.

I just ate at Parlai Seafood yesterday and the food is still good. Been eating there for years and only rarely have I seen quality waver.

I go once a week. The fresh oysters are the best.

i agree with ozy. fashion cafe is a great place to eat. their salads are excellent and would feed a small school!

i always pop in after a waxing - it eases the pain considerably.

There's a string of seafood restaurants along Chalong Bay (past the zoo) and Parlai has come up. IMHO Tang Kae next to Parlai has better food and service and is a must try.

Wine connection does great French food ( and of course wine) and lastly for big servings of tasty Thai/Farang food the Anchor Inn just off the circle heading towards the pier but parking is a bu@@er. Bon appetit! :o

• 4 weeks later...

Chalong well there are a few places to go like ZEBRA BAR and we can get food in from anywhere if you want it

or just walk around the Plaza lots of bars for Beer no need to drive mate.

karl...