Famous Japanese mall graciously brings down the shutters on 35 years in Thailand

webfact

Famous Japanese mall graciously brings down the shutters on 35 years in Thailand

4pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Tokyu department store has closed after 35 years operation in Thailand.

Manager reported that a modest closing ceremony at Mahboonkrong Center (MBK) in Bangkok impressed the Thai crowd that was present.

Senior executives of the Japanese owned store were seen bowing graciously to some final customers. 

Gifts were handed out after a final countdown sale.

564000001017410.jpg

Picture: Manager

Then the shutters were lowered for the last time. 

Their other Thai store in Paradise Park that opened in 2015 was closed down at the end of January two years ago. 

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-02

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asean said:

Why would one take an expensive lease in a Mall that then rents the common areas to small stalls that sell the same stuff cheaper than you with less overheads?

Imitation clothes that are made cheaply versus the real item sold inside the stores.  Bought a Boss Shirt in a night market stall, and one that was the spitting image inside Robinsons the next week.  The Robinsons original Boss shirt was thicker and the stitching far superior and is still going strong 10 years later.  The one bought at the night market stall became a dust rag after less than a year.  100 baht vs. 1000 Baht.  That should tell you the difference.  Thai's buy their clothes cheaply made as that's what they can afford, yet still want to look stylish sporting the name brand.  Why do you think all of the fake bags, and watches are sold here.  We used to shop at MBK at least once a week in Tokyu until we moved to Sathon.  The only time we would go back was when we went to the Art museum across the skywalk.  I had a feeling around Christmas time they might be closing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Robinsons original Boss shirt was thicker and the stitching far superior and is still going strong 10 years later.  The one bought at the night market stall became a dust rag after less than a year.  100 baht vs. 1000 Baht. 

I prefer the buy cheap and ditch it in a year method. Always have smart new clothes that way, rather than having to wear the same thing for 10 years. Having said that, my wife has a genuine Nike shirt I bought for her when they had a store at the top of Silom, and it still looks good after 25+ years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

No loss in my view. Things close when the public don't value or want them anymore, as is the case here.   Covid has just speeded up the inevitable. Those shops in the UK are often largely empty of local buyers.  Only inhabited by Asian tourists, mainly Japanese, which is ironic really.  

Tokyu had a great selection when it came to male dress shirts, socks, ties etc. and it wasn’t that expensive either. I think the one and only reason it went out of business was no income due to people not having any money to spend due to Covid rather than the general public not wanting to buy there anymore for any other reason. 

13 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Tokyu had a great selection when it came to male dress shirts, socks, ties etc. and it wasn’t that expensive either. I think the one and only reason it went out of business was no income due to people not having any money to spend due to Covid rather than the general public not wanting to buy there anymore for any other reason. 

Absolutely, priced appropriately, and they had the sizes that I needed which I could not find elsewhere.  I wear xl shirts in the US, but here I need 3xl or 4xl to match the sizes.  Never have been able to figure out the sizing craziness.  Then add in that they are also short and do not extend past the waist, makes me scratch my head sometimes.  It is why I started going to a tailor near where I now live to have shirts and pants made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife worked at Tokyu when I met her. We married two weeks later and the 30th anniversary comes up next week.

Congratulations to you and the wife it is heart warming to know that we all have a chance to find happiness in our lives

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Absolutely, priced appropriately, and they had the sizes that I needed which I could not find elsewhere.  I wear xl shirts in the US, but here I need 3xl or 4xl to match the sizes.  Never have been able to figure out the sizing craziness.  Then add in that they are also short and do not extend past the waist, makes me scratch my head sometimes.  It is why I started going to a tailor near where I now live to have shirts and pants made.

The sizes here are Asian sizes. You’ll always have to go two or three sizes up to get to your western size. That’s normal. Asians are on average also shorter. 

22 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Does anyone still go to MBK? 

Yes!  I do.  I like the choices and prices in their food court, and the wide selection of products and price points in the mall, and the huge choice for electronics (phones, etc).  Sad to see them having trouble.