AMA(Ask me Anything)- I jumped all the hoops to reach the ASQ in Bangkok!

Thaidude

I must say I am pretty impressed by the govt prep and their SOP's. I am still not in support of this quarantine but they seem to have managed it well atleast and caused least trouble at the airport. Landed at airport at 12:45 and I was out of the airport within 20 mins which is a record in itself. Everything was smooth with queues properly managed. 

Anyhow I have thought to start an AMA here if anyone needs to ask anything about Visa, COE, Embassy, ASQ related question since I have kinda faced it all 

No mention was made about the MorChana app being installed on my phone when I arrived or since.

The only thing both my ASQ hotel and medical team required was for me to have a LINE account so they could communicate with me and I could send twice daily pics of my thermometer reading to the med team.

What hoops ? I don't understand why some people have a big deal about ASQ. It is 2 weeks of your life. Tracking app ? Never heard of it and I was in ASQ last month. Took me all of maybe 1 hour to apply for the COE. Just follow the instructions  on the Thai Embassy website.  

Edited by Billpro785
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Being not in favour of quarantine,,,,,, so what would you suggest,,,,, the Government had done?

They had no choice, & I think on the whole have made it as pain free as possible.

Australia's quarantine is similar but nowhere near rhe same efficiency at the airport, restrictions are the same if not tougher & more expensive with lesser choice. A dog box hotel room starts at 

66,000 Bht.

And just a reminder that it was your choice to do it

- how do you prove you have covid-19 cover?  Did you use a "recommended" insurance cover, or your own private insurance policy?

- where did you fly from (city, country or airport name)?  And what was approximate price of airfare?  one way, or R/T?

- How much was quarantine?  What were you allowed to do while in quarantine?

what kind of food were you able to access?

- After quarantine is over, anything else required?  Or are you "free to go".

• Like 1

I will arrive in Bkk at the end of February, I had made my preparations so it took 4 days, then I had my COE permit, ASQ hotel is 40 qm, 1 living room 1 bedroom and balcony for 45,000 thb, ok price with 3 meals  per day, 2 tests and transport from airport

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 1:41 PM, Amicitia said:

What about the tracing app that supposedly every body needs to download on smartphone?

Honestly I do not have a smartphone .How will I be treated at arrival ?

Is thefe a paper alternative ?

You buy a load of pigeons and send a message every time you change locations.

It does seem to me, as one wishing to visit her,  that a subsidized ASQ or at least fair prices would have been a smart concept.   Initially it was the hard process, 72 hour test results, and 50,000 baht cost that has kept me away.  No way would I even consider travel without a loved one there.     I'm really not sure I could survive 15 days in a typical hotel box. 

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

It does seem to me, as one wishing to visit her,  that a subsidized ASQ or at least fair prices would have been a smart concept.   Initially it was the hard process, 72 hour test results, and 50,000 baht cost that has kept me away.  No way would I even consider travel without a loved one there.     I'm really not sure I could survive 15 days in a typical hotel box. 

For myself, partner and 5 year old son in the cheapest ASQ was £2200/90000 baht. I priced a decent hotel better standard than the ASQ one, it was £600/25000 baht. Even adding meals and the Covid tests it’s a huge mark up.

The hotels got greedy thinking the tourists are all walking ATMs and would be flocking back. Unfortunately that’s not the case but Thais appear to think that when they have no customers put the prices up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Lots of questions here and the 'Ask me anything' OP hasn't replied......

Perhaps the OP feels that the first and preemptory reply to his topic, which was "If you look at the COVID section, you can find it all there already", answers any and all questions that readers might have wanted to put to the OP and as a genteel newbie he does not wish to make waves.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, Thaidude said:

I must say I am pretty impressed by the govt prep and their SOP's. I am still not in support of this quarantine but they seem to have managed it well atleast and caused least trouble at the airport. Landed at airport at 12:45 and I was out of the airport within 20 mins which is a record in itself. Everything was smooth with queues properly managed. 

Anyhow I have thought to start an AMA here if anyone needs to ask anything about Visa, COE, Embassy, ASQ related question since I have kinda faced it all 

What does SOP's stand for? Remember you are posting here, not texting.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Standard Operating Procedure ? The way they do things.

Thanks Charlie, but there are far too many posters using initials because they can't be bothered to print the words. Initials are fine if the words have already been used in that particular topic, or the very obvious ones.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, 4evermaat said:

- how do you prove you have covid-19 cover?  Did you use a "recommended" insurance cover, or your own private insurance policy?

- where did you fly from (city, country or airport name)?  And what was approximate price of airfare?  one way, or R/T?

- How much was quarantine?  What were you allowed to do while in quarantine?

what kind of food were you able to access?

- After quarantine is over, anything else required?  Or are you "free to go".

I have personal insurance against covid-19 for a year, it costs nothing like the one for the ASQ, and it isn't for anything like $100.000. It is only a money making thing for the "government" and the insurance companies.

• Like 1