Poll- Do You Feel That Thailand Wants You Or Wants You Out?

click2delete

Foreigners - Are we wanted or not?  

274 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm trying to reconcile these two conflicting problems that the OP has:

1. He does not want his son growing up Thai. He despises much of Thai culture. He has issues with the schools in Thailand. Does not want his son taking after the example of his Thai relatives.

2. He's upset he doesn't qualify to stay in Thailand.

Now, he also goes on about Thai men and insinuating that they are lazy, yet he doesn't want to get a job, which, money aside, sets a good example for his son.

I don't see the logic. I just see an angry man who has yet to learn that the world will not adjust itself to him, and he's unwilling to do anything to improve the situation except complain bitterly on the internet.

Listen, you've got a family to look after. Stop whining and get a job. We'd all love to get on in life without it but we've got responsibilities, and it's time to grow up and face yours.

Life ain't always fair. Deal with it.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reciprocating sh@t comment is a bit over the top IMO....and in the US you may be on the recieving end-as an immigrant....especially with your Thai wife....racism and xenophobia are not limited to LOS...

I know very well the situation for a foreigner in the US and how it compares to many other places. The US is one of those countries I have lived in.

I have lived on the West coast (and travelled around several WC states) on back-to-back 90 days permits of stay on arrival for over a year.

As I have written in the "Thailand is Down..." thread, the United States of America is, for me, the greatest country on earth (or the "least bad", if you want to put it that way).

Thailand (and anywhere else outside of the Western world) is nothing else than a (dangerous) playground, it isn't a place where the values and principles in which I believe are normally taught, believed, shared, practiced or even understood...

Why have I lived 4 years in Thailand and want now to move to the US? Because the US is the best country to live a "normal" life as a married man and to have a family while Thailand is (was) one of the best playgrounds for a single young guy looking for cheap and widely available p.ussy and cheap booze AND with an almost perfect cultural setting (the same one which is holding it back as a 3rd world country and which many blind daydreamers are praising on this very thread) to enjoy it all.

I am also confused...you state you don't need to work but are moving to America to work????
Nursing is, for me, the quickest, easiest, surest way to get a Green Card and, eventually, citizenship (my ultimate goal).

I will just be working part-time since, like stated, I don't need to work (it doesn't mean I am "rich", by Western standards at least, but with my level of spending I am, let's say, "comfortable").

I haven't been working during my previous 1 year stay in the US, I have just enjoyed living there as a "long time tourist" pretty much like I've done for 4 years in Thailand.

Anyway good luck with the move and your new profession.

Grazie :o

I'm trying to reconcile these two conflicting problems that the OP has:

1. He does not want his son growing up Thai. He despises much of Thai culture. He has issues with the schools in Thailand. Does not want his son taking after the example of his Thai relatives.

2. He's upset he doesn't qualify to stay in Thailand.

Very common on the net in web forums and newsgroups dealing with life in Thailand. Plenty of folks out there who have had nothing to do with Thailand for years and sometimes decades... yet they still go on about how bad life is here and how unfair it is that they can't live here. It's called sour grapes.

:o

Why isn't working a market stall man's work?

Clicky......Are you seriously dense or what? Have you ever heard of the word "the opportunity cost"?

How will you be raising your 1 yr old, when you have no job, your wife has no job, and you2 haven't have a clue the meaning of the word "the opportunity cost"? :o

Ok I'm done with Mr. Clicky and his problem!....for now

I am curious what "opportunity cost" has to do with men working in stalls or not ? My understanding of the term is "what would your money make doing something else". I guess it could be applied to what could a person make by doing something else. IF, and it is a big IF, a thai man can make more money at a different job than running a stall then he has to look at the extra income he is giving up by running a stall instead. Is it worth it to be with his wife or to be his own boss. From my experience many people that run stalls make more money doing that then can working for someone else unless they leave their families to work in a multinational company in bkk. As I pointed out before many jobs from thai companies pay 80-100 baht per day here in chiang mai. The bkk post had an article about construction workers in bkk only making 150 baht a day. Yes thailand has a minimum wage but many thai companies do not pay that much.

I know one lady with a food stall that averages 300 baht a day profit. Not much for us but almost double the minimum wage here.

The difference in men and women in thailand. If I had a choice i would only hire women. I have had a business here for 8 years and most of the women that have worked for me show up almost every day. Almost none of the men do. I pay once a month and after pay day I can count on all of my women showing up for work and only 1 man. I have discussed this problem with many of my thai friends tha own factories here in chaing mai. Ones answer was to get rid of all of their thai workers except what was required by the gov and get work permits for thai yais. Get this clear. The owners are thai and the only thais that work at their factory are the ones the gov requires so she can maintain her work permits for the thai yais. The thai yais get paid more than the thais who get minimum wage. Another of my friends has 500 workers because he needs 300. He has to have 500 to make sure that 300 show up for work. When rice harvest season comes he loses all of his workers.

In my wifes village the men sit around most of the year drinking and eating while the women clean,cook, and take care of the kids. The men only work during planting and harvest.

Yes there are many thai men that work hard to make a living and to support their families. From my observation, in general, the women work harder.

The OP comes to Thailand, and:

1. Meets a girl.

2. Get the girl pregnant.

3. Marries her.

4. Doesn't have a job.

5. Doesn't want a job.

6. Doesn't think Thai people are very warm and welcoming (Quote: I want my boy to grow up in a country full of warm people).

7. Uses his wife's dysfunctional family history as a springboard for painting all Thai men as scum.

Am I the only one here who is glad that he is having problems and that hopes that he will move away??

Let me help you with your nonsen .... er facts.

1. Meets lady on internet.

2. Meets lady in Thailand

3. Moves to Thailand.

4. Marries.

4a. She gets pregnant

5. Doesn't need a job.

6. Thai people are cold compared to Latins. That's a fact.

7. No springboard needed - There was a reason that my wife didn't want a Thai man.

Our Thai women friends also don't want Thai Men. That is almost 100 percent.

Does anyone know the percentage of Thai Men who have children but have abandoned their first wife only to find a "new lady?"

Again, my eyes tell this is the norm - and that is unfortunate.

Concerning your wishing problems on me - Flip Wilson said it best:

God will get you for that. Good luck.

Where is your God now my friend?

Now, he also goes on about Thai men and insinuating that they are lazy, yet he doesn't want to get a job, which, money aside, sets a good example for his son.

I don't see the logic.

And yet is so very simple for someone who is not ignorant of the reality of the average Thai's everyday life and is not a blind daydreamer desperately trying to defend every thing Thai...

The OP is saying he already has enough money (through past working/inheriting or whatever else) to provide for his family while the children of those lazy Thai men laying drunk around their villages are going around barefoot...

Get it?

BTW, I am not saying that ALL Thai men are like that (and neither is the OP), maybe not even MOST Thai men are like that, but certainly very many of them are.

In my experience and in my opinion, the average Thai woman's work ethic is undoubtedly stronger than the average Thai man's (and neither of them is impressive...).

Edited by BAF

Hey BAF.....ok thanks for the clarification. Nice to hear a European speaking well of the US-a rarity these days for sure. I am somewhat proud of my country....for what it can be...for the majority of the people who are basically decent...however the safest or best place to raise a family??? Huh??? The present gov. is an embarrassment and a crime...and future probably no better.... As a born and raised Cali boy, man that place has gone to the dogs....and living there as a resident is a whole lot different than on the tourist visa-not like here at all!!! Some of my friends children there frankly scare me or are just sad ghetto talking wantabees....Getting the green card/citizenship is doable and again good career choice for it, I hink pretty easy to make a financial good life there but at what "lifestyle" costs????...and that is a big move for your wife or is she in Italy with you now???? Has your wife spent any time in USA??? Is she ok with limited Thailand visits and being away from her family??? Really I just wonder about that as many Thai's "Kittung Ban" when they emigrate.... Well anyway....if Thailand ain't right for you give USA a go....your education/experience will sure be interesting. I do admire those who don't just whine/complain but make plans and efforts to improve or change their opportunities. Good luck again....choose your residence in Cali carefully though

I don't see the logic.

And yet is so very simple for someone who is not ignorant of the reality of the average Thai's everyday life and is not a blind daydreamer desperately trying to defend every thing Thai...

Who (aside from mdeland) is blindly defending everything Thai?

The OP is saying he already has enough money (through past working/inheriting or whatever else) to provide for his family while the children of those lazy Thai men laying drunk around their villages are going around barefoot...

Get it?

And what part of sitting on his 'arse complaining and refusing to work sets an example for his son to be different?

BTW, I am not saying that ALL Thai men are like that (and neither is the OP), maybe not even MOST Thai men are like that, but certainly very many of them are.

In my experience and in my opinion, the average Thai woman's work ethic is undoubtedly stronger than the average Thai man's.

I agree that Thai women on the whole have a very strong work ethic, but the point I was trying to make which you missed by a wide mark, was that there are simple solutions to his problems that the OP is not willing to do because he doesn't want to. He wants things to change to suit him, and the world just doesn't work that way.

If he wanted to really make things better for his son as he claims, he'd do something about it. However, getting a job or starting up a business is not one of the things he's willing to do. He'd rather be boo-hooing here which won't change a bloody thing no matter how emphatically he types.

Edited by cdnvic

Hey BAF.....ok thanks for the clarification. Nice to hear a European speaking well of the US-a rarity these days for sure. I am somewhat proud of my country....for what it can be...for the majority of the people who are basically decent...however the safest or best place to raise a family??? Huh??? The present gov. is an embarrassment and a crime...and future probably no better.... As a born and raised Cali boy, man that place has gone to the dogs....and living there as a resident is a whole lot different than on the tourist visa-not like here at all!!! Some of my friends children there frankly scare me or are just sad ghetto talking wantabees....Getting the green card/citizenship is doable and again good career choice for it, I hink pretty easy to make a financial good life there but at what "lifestyle" costs????...and that is a big move for your wife or is she in Italy with you now???? Has your wife spent any time in USA??? Is she ok with limited Thailand visits and being away from her family??? Really I just wonder about that as many Thai's "Kittung Ban" when they emigrate.... Well anyway....if Thailand ain't right for you give USA a go....your education/experience will sure be interesting. I do admire those who don't just whine/complain but make plans and efforts to improve or change their opportunities. Good luck again....choose your residence in Cali carefully though

Being from the USA and having traveled quite a bit in the USA I would say that the USA is pretty safe if you stay away from the big cities. There are many places with virtually no crime.

I gi ve up must a lot of difference in where you liive. Here in Udon absolutly correct I don't see many Thai men working food stands. But I do see them in the resturants, the hotels, big C any major store Thai or farrang. Working and supporting thier famalies. I don't have women doing the mechanical work on my bikes or cars. Thai men and women built my home. A Thai man maintains or aircons. The person who work on my computer is a Thai man.

Our house keeper's husband works in construction six days a week, just like she works six day a week.

If you want to look at village life closely you will find a lot of absent husbands, thier in the big cities working and sending money home. Heres a clue for you there is only so much room to support a noodle shop in the village. There are no job to be done until it's rice season.

Does my houskeeper take off for thier rice you bet and I totaly support her in doing so. These two people work full time and maintain a farm that really doesn't seem lazy to me.

Are there lazy people here someone want to tell me where a place is that doesn't have lazy people in it?

I beleive it to be a bit unrealistic to think people working at minimum wage, are going to be productive as thier western counter parts, that have good wages and benefits, that are pricing themselves right out of jobs. Ever think why Thai's don't worry about not showing up for work. Because they know they are still going to have job, it is how it is working in some fields in Thailand, they are not stupid, they know they are not going to be fired.

Rice has driven culture for years, it's not an option it has to be done at certain times and thats that. Your factory on the other hand will be sitting right there to go back to work when the rice is done. One of the biggest reasons why I would have to think about having a production type of business here. To frustrating, but certainly isn't something new that has changed recently.

Now the other side of the copin i the Thai's that have the good job, don't leave fro the rice fields. They see a future in those jobs, maybe they don't see making gidgets in a factory as a job with a future. They know when the factory folds they will have rice to eat.

So being angry with your circumstances is one thing, blaming on an entire segment of people for the problems you see in something is very different.

Without getting into my conception of a higher power or the fundamental nature of the universe, I am not sure I have an entitlement to live anywhere for longer than one year at a time. I tend to take things one day at a time at most. Living in the immediate present is the best. Today, here; maybe tomorrow, not here. I don't live in fear or resentment over the reality of the need to adapt to circumstances as they arise.

Living "one day at a time at most" isn't what has given my home country free high quality health care and free high quality schooling nor if my father had been living "one day at a time at most" I would have had the education, the care and the opportunities which I have had.

Thank you but I gladly leave your "conception of a higher power and the fundamental nature of the universe" and your living "one day at a time at most" to you and to your lucky son (who, BTW, is surely going to have "incredible opportunities" in the land and the culture you see fit for him to grow and get educated in...).

Does the USA still give 10 year visas ?

yes, the 10y visas still exist. however they are not meant to reside but to visit the U.S. the INS keeps a tab on you and if you stay for an accumulated period you are rigorously questioned.

moreover, visitor visas issued by a U.S. authority such as embassy or consulate does not guarantee entry. it is up to the individual immigration officer to reject entry and send the holder of the visa back on the next flight.

I do not know so much about that. I do know a thai girl from a well to do family that has a 10 year visa. She stays for 6 months then comes back to thailand for 1 month. Then back to the USA for 6 months. Not sure if it will continue that way though since her 10 year visa expires this year. That is why I asked if the USA still offers it.

Anyway my post was in response to someone else claiming that it was easier to stay in thailand than the USA. For those that marry USA citizens , for those that are born in the USA, and for those that have a lot of money it is easier to stay in the USA. Not to mention all of those that stay illegally and do not get deported.

In regards to the poll. I think the Thai Gov wants rich tourists and rich retirees. The rest of us are not welcome. I also think that most of the Thai People that I have been in contact with are glad that we are here. At least that is what they portray to my face.

To the original poster.....

I will pull out one of my little phrases that I often tell my patients.

There may be a difference in what you "want" and what you "need." You may not want to work, but you may need to. I don't want to work either, but I need to and therefore I just do it.

Why isn't working an option you are considering? If your wife doesn't work, she can care for the child during the day when you are gone. I know you already know this.

Another big issue to consider is if your wife, no matter how wonderful she is, will manage outside of Thailand. Many Thai women just do not adapt well living outside of Thailand. This isn't a slam.

I wish you well...

Our Thai women friends also don't want Thai Men. That is almost 100 percent.

Anyone who actually thinks this is true needs help! :o

there is no help for that kind of strange attitude :D

wolfmanjack- My girlfriend got her 10-year multiple entry two years ago. We had to go to the US embassy in Bangkok because there's no place where we live. They are difficult but not impossible to get. Very much a case by case basis.

Dr. Naam is correct. No guarantee re any attempt to enter, and very difficult to treat the thing like a visa run device. Frankly, was shocked to read the well to do Thai you know has apparently done that for most of her ten year period (you didn't say she's done it the whole ten years, I'm guessing that part). Did she have any legitimate special circumstances? That would be my guess, rather than connections or money, but no way to know for sure of course.

I also believe it's relatively difficult to get in to the US with twenty thousand dollars are so and some kind of vague plan to open a business. Don't do immigration law, but believe it's much tougher than doing the same thing in Thailand.

To you and Colpyat: in how many countries have you seen so many young women working as construction workers and garbage collectors as in the "Land of Smiles"?

Care to list a few of them?

In many under-developed and developing countries. India especially, far more than here in Thailand.

He is complaining Immigration wants him to show a domestic income of 40,000baht/months, that he will have to create fictitiously, just to allow Income department to tax it.

when exactly where the regulations changed to domestic income?

Why have I lived 4 years in Thailand and want now to move to the US? Because the US is the best country to live a "normal" life as a married man and to have a family while Thailand is (was) one of the best playgrounds for a single young guy looking for cheap and widely available p.ussy and cheap booze AND with an almost perfect cultural setting (the same one which is holding it back as a 3rd world country and which many blind daydreamers are praising on this very thread) to enjoy it all.

No wonder that people get a slightly skewed idea about life for the average Thai when most interaction with the natives during a relatively short stay was with whom you can meet during the "adventure" destinations in a developing nation, where you get lots of "available pussy and cheap booze".

Reality for most Thais is rather different though.

For the urban working classes it is mostly very hard work in factories, many hours of OT, both husband and wife working. And in farms people do hang out and do nothing, because in the the dry season there simply is nothing to do. When though wet season starts people work very hard, from before sunrise until after sunset, and that goes on until harvest.

Obviously in a country like Thailand, with such enormous social inequalities, you will have a huge underground economy, and yes, you will have slums, desperation, and large sectors of society who have given up all hope.

Go back to to the days of the industrial revolution in the west, and you can read about very similar conditions in descriptions of those times.

Yes, i have already stated that i do agree with the point that presently the government is rather xenophobic, no debate on that point. And i am not blindly in love with Thailand so i don't see anymore the many serious problems this country has. And i do accept that the new regulations regarding visas make undue pressure to lower income mixed culture families, it is so bad that many families are split up because they cannot get visas to the home countries of the foreign partner.

But i want to clearly distance myself from the not very intelligent sweeping generalizations made here in this thread. Reality is a lot more complex. Often here, as shown, people who lack the ability of adapting do project their own failures on Thailand, and extrapolate from this position to judge the whole people.

Complain about the new visa rules, but please don't make unjustified judgments on large sectors of Thai society. Their live is not exactly easy either.

To you and Colpyat: in how many countries have you seen so many young women working as construction workers and garbage collectors as in the "Land of Smiles"?

In many under-developed and developing countries. India especially, far more than here in Thailand.

Very true. Most of S. Asia, especially. It frees up time for a lot of asian male adults to skulk around, smoking dope and growing their fingernails.

Hey BAF.....ok thanks for the clarification. Nice to hear a European speaking well of the US-a rarity these days for sure.

Most of the Europeans talking rubbish about the US do so just for ideological reasons and have ZERO actual experience of the US and the Americans.

however the safest or best place to raise a family??? Huh???
Never said it's the safest :o

Although a lot depends on where you live, most places are as safe as most places in any other Western country.

As to the best place to raise a family, it's still the country where your children will have the best opportunities to make something of their lives.

If they have the will and the capabilities and if you give them a good support, I see nowhere else where they have a better chance to succeed in whatever they want to.

The present gov. is an embarrassment and a crime...and future probably no better....

I don't like many things about the current administration but that said, show me the exemplary govt they should be following... :D

I don't see much better around.

Believe me, live for a while anywhere in Western Europe and you won't see your govt as so instrusive and bad as you do now :D

As a born and raised Cali boy, man that place has gone to the dogs....and living there as a resident is a whole lot different than on the tourist visa-not like here at all!!!
Apart for my travelings I have basically lived 1 year in the same neighborhood (in SouthCal) and I have also done small temporary jobs (especially at the beginning, to befriend people of my age and to "get into the place", it's even been fun more than occasionally).

I won't be doing any thing much different when I'll move back there.

and that is a big move for your wife or is she in Italy with you now???? Has your wife spent any time in USA??? Is she ok with limited Thailand visits and being away from her family??? Really I just wonder about that as many Thai's "Kittung Ban" when they emigrate....

She knows the US and, more recently, we have been in France and Germany. She prefers Italy for the people, the food and (compared to Germany and France) the weather. Italian lifestyle is, in many ways, much more similar to Thai's than American's is.

She is a very atypical un-Thai Thai (to be precise she is 75% Thai and 25% Japanese) and she doesn't miss Thailand, she misses just her parents. She has visited them last summer and they had visited us in Italy the year before.

She is very well adapted here (speaks Italian, works, has many Italian and some Thai and Japanese friends, is best friend with my sister who has her same age, has a very good relationship with my mother etc) and that's why she would like not to move to the US.

Very true. Most of S. Asia, especially. It frees up time for a lot of asian male adults to skulk around, smoking dope and growing their fingernails.

There are as many "Asian Male adults" skulking around, as there are females doing that and similar. This is only natural in societies with huge social problems and inequalities. But there are far more people of both genders working extremely hard to provide for their families, trying to better the children's opportunities against all odds.

The only problem is that you rarely meet them skulking around because they will be busy working, and the rest of the time spending the precious little free time they have with their families, and not drinking and skulking with farang with an opinion, a considerable lack of knowledge, and far too much free time in the bar areas.

Edited by ColPyat

Is India (on which I can't comment since I have no experience of it) your only entry on that list or can you offer some other example of those "many" under-developed and developing countries?

You know, it's to see if we can track a pattern... For example, in piss poor under-developed and developing Eastern European countries YOU DO NOT see young women working as construction workers and garbage collectors as you commonly see in Thailand...

So, what does this tell you? What does the fact the you don't see it happening in certain under-developed and developing countries?

And what does the fact the you see it happening only in (certain) under-developed and developing countries?

P.S. Can someone with meaningful Indian experiences comment on this "India especially, far more than here in Thailand"?

Edited by BAF

Is India (on which I can't comment since I have no experience of it) your only entry on that list or can you offer some other example of those "many" under-developed and developing countries?

Go to Burma, Laos, or Cambodia.

You know, it's to see if we can track a pattern... For example, in piss poor under-developed and developing Eastern European countries YOU DO NOT see young women working as construction workers and garbage collectors as you commonly see in Thailand...

So, what does this tell you? What does the fact the you don't see it happening in certain under-developed and developing countries?

And what does the fact the you see it happening only in (certain) under-developed and developing countries?

P.S. Can someone with meaningful Indian experiences comment on this "India especially, far more than here in Thailand"?

My "Indian experience" Is more than 2 years in the past 20 years.

And what it tells me is that there are many problems in these developing countries, and not some gender specific conclusions, because i do see men working as hard there.

And yes, many developing countries mean also the mentioned places - Burma, Cambodia, Laos, etc.

I get some sleep and I awake to find the minions have been very busy speculating on my state of mind. Now I understand the comment made by one of you knuckheads early on about "swinging handbags" because there must be a set of Chatty Cathy lips and gums to with every one of those handbags.

In a country full of Katoeys you have all proven yourselves to be women - talk about gender confusion ....

The OP must be this

The OP must be that

You all remind me of the losers who sit around the View Talay 1 drinking and gumming all night long moving from one bar to the next as each one closes. You'll notice none of them sit beyond the edge for fear one of their own may kill them as they do a dive from floor 15.

You all seem like the types who would wait around for a jumper just so you could encourage him to do it. Ghouls all of you.

You might just get what want.

Does anyone really think "Thailand" has their collective sh!t together to want farangs out of the country!!

It's a stupid question and the 50+% who voted yes probably didn't think about the question.It's too general to have any value other than being provocative.

I'm surprised it's been allowed to go on for 16 pages. What a waste of bandwidth it is! :o

Go to Burma, Laos, or Cambodia.

I did, many times.

That's why I wrote "Men's general laziness and exploitation of women is hardly Thailand's exclusivity anyway. I have witnessed it in many other 3rd world countries around the world."

They are extremely similar cultures to Thai's and most of what has been said about Thai women/men's work ethic apply to those countries as well.

Still, IME Thailand is the worst offender in this regard (and that was the meaning of my "in how many countries have you seen so many young women working as construction workers and garbage collectors as in the Land of Smiles"?)

I didn't mean to say that it happens ONLY in Thailand but I realize that this is maybe what you are confuting (it's confusing because ColPyat quoted only part of my post and not the following "Men's general laziness and exploitation of women is hardly Thailand's exclusivity anyway. I have witnessed it in many other 3rd world countries around the world.")

I get some sleep and I awake to find the minions have been very busy speculating on my state of mind. Now I understand the comment made by one of you knuckheads early on about "swinging handbags" because there must be a set of Chatty Cathy lips and gums to with every one of those handbags.

In a country full of Katoeys you have all proven yourselves to be women - talk about gender confusion ....

The OP must be this

The OP must be that

You all remind me of the losers who sit around the View Talay 1 drinking and gumming all night long moving from one bar to the next as each one closes. You'll notice none of them sit beyond the edge for fear one of their own may kill them as they do a dive from floor 15.

You all seem like the types who would wait around for a jumper just so you could encourage him to do it. Ghouls all of you.

You might just get what want.

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|