Which lane to use as motorcyclist

Opossum

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

On the open road, in most cases, riding a Honda Wave or similar is going to be very difficult keeping pace with the general flow of the traffic around you, although it would be easier with a Honda Forza or similar upwards.

If you want to attempt to try it. you compromise very badly your own personal safety.

On the roads I generally use, where the speeds are in the order of 90-100kpm,  I manage quite nicely on my Earox, but I would probably shy away from fast motorway traffic in crowded urban environments full of impatient commuters. But I don't and wouldn't live in such surroundings anyway.

But I agree with you. You should have the right machine for the circumstances you're likely to encounter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely agree that following strictly the rules in Thailand is dangerous and we need to adapt different situations: https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

But once the critical mass has been reached that people are not following the rules, than no one is safe any longer, because kids and children are just learning wrong habits from their parents which are next generation coming with more cars... faster and bigger.

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The point about riding motorcycles is that, for many of us it's fun. I love being out on mine and will often seek out excuses to just get out there and ride. (oops, I forgot to buy the soda!) 

There's been plenty of times when I've popped out to Tesco Lotus in Ayuthaya just for some bread and to feel and hear the symphony of wind in my ears from riding. And then the slow and sedate cruise back home again.

I live in Bangkok.

????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It looks like, this topic has been discussed in many thai forums. Thx to jackdd by giving me some hints, I found this picture in a discussion forum from thai people. Well, some signs are truly misleading and some signs do not even make sense or shouldn’t even be there where they stand. Therefor it must come as it has to that people just do what they believe what is correct as my teacher did. There is no bashing behind my question. Just try to learn by understanding.

IMG_0152.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 12:22 AM, richard_smith237 said:

What usually happens: 

Slow motorbikes etc travelling at 60kmh hug the left shoulder so that they are not mowed down by passing vehicles. 

Yes, that's the reason most scooter's hug the left shoulder, it's suicidal riding a scooter in lane 2 . Regards,,,,, Popa

Someone suggested that if you are parking you should park in lane 2 not the hard shoulder. That would be sheer lunacy in practice. There is often very little off road parking and many businesses at the side of the road do not have any parking. The hard shoulder is the only option. 

5 hours ago, Opossum said:

It looks like, this topic has been discussed in many thai forums. Thx to jackdd by giving me some hints, I found this picture in a discussion forum from thai people. Well, some signs are truly misleading and some signs do not even make sense or shouldn’t even be there where they stand. Therefor it must come as it has to that people just do what they believe what is correct as my teacher did. There is no bashing behind my question. Just try to learn by understanding.

IMG_0152.jpg

But this sign does say "keep left" (it also says this in Thai), it doesn't say use the hard shoulder. So I would consider this sign as OK.

The two signs which I posted in an earlier reply did actually say "use the hard shoulder", which doesn't make sense.

As I wrote before, these signs are made up by the municipalities, they design them however they want, they aren't standardized and have no legal relevance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:06 PM, Opossum said:

Hi

As you can see on the attached picture, there are 3 lanes. I was told today from my thai teacher and from a Farang who is driving in Thailand every day, that I should use the outmost left lane Nr. 1, which indeed almost all Thai people are using and that it is even forbidden to use lane Nbr. 2 and Nbr. 3 except for overtaking a vehicle.

My question: Is it forbidden to use lane Nbr. 2 by Thai law?

In the country where I come from, lane Nbr. 1 is forbidden to use and only in case of emergencies and in case your car is broken down.

Thanks for any answers

IMG_634139474891.jpg

What kind of bike you have? 

In thailand you have to use every option of something that looks like a line, so my answer is 1,2 and 3! 

I alwAys keep the traffick behind me, rule nr 1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

As you can see on the attached picture, there are 3 lanes. I was told today from my thai teacher and from a Farang who is driving in Thailand every day, that I should use the outmost left lane Nr. 1, which indeed almost all Thai people are using and that it is even forbidden to use lane Nbr. 2 and Nbr. 3 except for overtaking a vehicle.

In the country where I come from, lane Nbr. 1 is forbidden to use and only in case of emergencies and in case your car is broken down.

Thanks for any answers

IMG_634139474891.jpg

If you have to ask that question then you shouldn't be on the road.

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:56 PM, Opossum said:

She is teaching Thai and she is good and funny, which motivates me very much but maybe I should better stop asking about thai laws/ rules.

since when does a man ask a woman about driving for gods sake

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do NOT travel on the shoulder indefinitely or for long periods or distances, particularly on those 3 lane highways.

Be especially attentive if you are near built up areas with petrol/gas stations and stores on your left. 

As has been mentioned, lazy, inattentive and ignorant drivers as well as some police don't know the rules or don't care.  Cars may be (illegally) stopped halfway on the shoulder and half in lane 1, to daydream/decide their next move, just at the time you are passing. Quite a shock may ensue.

Ask me how I know..

Edited by formanth
info
  • Like 2

Is there a driving test?  When you are in the road, what do you see?

now I’m thinking maybe Thais are better drivers 

craziest question in the last 10,000 years

Wow, a thread from more than 2 years ago is active again.

In case that I didn't write my two cents already 2 years ago: Ride where you feel most comfortable considering the traffic conditions, your bike and your riding skills.

The official rule seems to be that motorcycles are supposed to be only on the left lane. Personally I only follow that rule if the left lane is free of obstacles. Often cars and other objects are on that left lane and it would be necessary to change the lanes constantly. Riding constantly on the "2nd" lane is in many cases a much lower risk and headache. Personally I don't mind if I have to pay from time to time 100B for not following that rule.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, jackdd said:

As pointed out by the previous poster, number 1 is the hard shoulder, that's not a lane for driving, unless your vehicle breaks down you are not supposed to be there.

You drive in lane 2, and if you overtake you do this in lane 3.

Driving on the hard shoulder is not only illegal but is also dangerous, due to all the debris which accumulates there, as well as other vehicles who pull out of small sois (or into them) without looking, or dogs running around there.

Personally, in this situation I would not pay attention to any law. Just use genuine common sense, and go by traffic conditions, weather conditions, and the condition of the lanes.

Always keep to the nearest left lane, the hard shoulder, according to as I said, the various conditions.

No policeman is ever going to book you for riding on the hard shoulder.