Non-immigrant Type O Visa Financial Requirements?

We plan to move to Thailand within the next couple months. First of all, my husband will ask for a non-immigrant type O visa in the US. That’s no problem. However, in extending this type of visa, it is my understanding that he must prove that his monthly income is at least sufficient to satisfy the Thai immigration’s requirement, (40,000 baht/mo). He can demonstrate this monthly income, via his bank in the US.

However, my question is

- Will it be acceptable for him to show this monthly income into his US bank account, or will it be necessary for him to open a new Thai bank account, and have these funds transferred into this new account?

We plan to move to Thailand within the next couple months. First of all, my husband will ask for a non-immigrant type O visa in the US. That’s no problem. However, in extending this type of visa, it is my understanding that he must prove that his monthly income is at least sufficient to satisfy the Thai immigration’s requirement, (40,000 baht/mo). He can demonstrate this monthly income, via his bank in the US.

However, my question is

- Will it be acceptable for him to show this monthly income into his US bank account, or will it be necessary for him to open a new Thai bank account, and have these funds transferred into this new account?

The proof of 40k baht income is required by Thai Immigration for the extension of stay.

Immigration requires a letter from your Embassy stating that income.

The Embassy will issue the letter according to their requirements The US Embassy ahs been reported tojust make you sign a paper stating the amount without asking for supporting documents. The UK Embassy has asked for supporting documents.

Immigration may or may not ask to see the supporting documents in addition to the letter

I think the supporting documenst should show the source of income (like an employment contract, etc.) not a simple credit line on a bank statement (but this is my own interpretation as what stops you transferring that amount from another account every month from capital ? This would not be called income but itmight satisfy both Embassy for the letter and Immigration I don't know)

Immigration also like to see a bank account in thailand with copy of the book and a statement matching the last balance at the time of application for the extension

Hope it helps

Thank you for your reply, Krup.

I understand everything that you've said, except for your last sentence. You say that Thai immigration would "like" to see a bank account in Thailand that shows the monthly income. Can you -- or anyone -- please assure me whether this is a requirement, or just a helpful advantage?

The point that I would like to make is that I can set this up if it is absolutely necessary, but I'd really rather not if it is not a requirement, because it will entail a lot of transactional logistics with several US banks and agencies.

Thank you for your reply, Krup.

I understand everything that you've said, except for your last sentence. You say that Thai immigration would "like" to see a bank account in Thailand that shows the monthly income. Can you -- or anyone -- please assure me whether this is a requirement, or just a helpful advantage?

The point that I would like to make is that I can set this up if it is absolutely necessary, but I'd really rather not if it is not a requirement, because it will entail a lot of transactional logistics with several US banks and agencies.

I did not say that the bank account had to show the monthly income.

Thai immigration (in my experience) even if you gp the Embassy letter way of provong your income will want to see a bank book of a bank in Thailand with some movement of funds and a statement matching the last balance.

Each office have its own rules and you might get away without one.