Nose Bleed

jaiyenyen

Hi All

I have been in Thailand three weeks now, and one week ago i had a big nose bleed, bad enough to have to go to hospital.

I have just had another, minor bleed this morning.

I am on medication for high blood pressure, however, it is still not completely under control.

I have never suffered from nose bleeds before.

I have just moved to Thailand from UK on a permanent basis. My fiance says it is the hot weather, and someThai people have the same problem. I'm not convinced !

Any advice please?

Regards

Jaiyenyen

What did the hospital put it down to?

My Father, though a lot older than you, has had regualr nose bleeds for a couple of years now. He also suffers from high BP, but then again so do many people (including myself) that do not experience them.

The hospital are now saying that he may well be enemic, though they have yet to confirm this.

He is diebetic though

Not saying that this has to be the diagnosis in your case, just passing on information as when I saw the title of the thread I was interested because of my Father's condition.

I have never seen or knows of a Thai peson to suffer from this problem in the 4 years I have been here for.

I am sure you will get some helpful replies to your post...sorry mine is not really that great, there are people far more qualified than me to speak on such matters.

Hope that you make a full recovery from this.

Good Luck

TP.

Hi All

I have been in Thailand three weeks now, and one week ago i had a big nose bleed, bad enough to have to go to hospital.

I am on medication for high blood pressure, however, it is still not completely under control.

I have just moved to Thailand from UK on a permanent basis. My fiance says it is the hot weather, and someThai people have the same problem. I'm not convinced !

Any advice please?

Regards

Jaiyenyen

Whats's your BP?

Do you take aspirin or another NSAID?

A/C will dry out the mucous membrane in the nose and make it bleed easier, it might explain it.

Try eating icecream when your nose bleeds, it'll make the vessels contract and help stop the bleeding.

Lykke

Thanks for the replies,

Doctors have been trying to control my BP for the last few years, but without much success.

At the moment i'm on a combination of Lisinopril and Amlodopine.

I've had another four nosebleeds since my first post.

Went back to the hospital today BP 140/110. had nose checked by E.N.T doctor and told not to worry.

Thanks for the advice about Air Con, we always sleep with it on, and i've been driving every day with Air Con in car, so maybe that could be part of the problem.

I've been checked for both diabetes and anemia, and they are not a problem.

I think its time to exercise more and improve my diet !!!!!!!!!

Regards

Jaiyenyen

It is, definitely, due to your blood pressure. The small vessels in the nose are rupturing from the high pressure. (Although your systolic isn't terribly high, a diastolic of 110 is very bad). Consider it a warning, and take measures to get your BP under control before a more vital blood vessel ruptures.

You are on an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril) and a Calcium Channel blocker (amliodiopine) already. There are a number of possible approaches:

- increase the dose of one or both if not already at maximum dosage

-replace either of these drugs with a diuretic, or take both plus a diuretic

-replace the ACE inhibitor with an Angiotensin II inhibitor (e.g. Irbersartan AKA Avapro), with or without also adding a diuretic

Adding a beta blocker might also be an option but would depend on your overall cardiac history.

As you can see, lots of options. Personally, if there are no other significant illness or any allergies that might influence the choice, I'd switch from lisinopril to an Angiotensin II inhibitor like Avapro and if that didn't do the trick after a week I'd add a diuretic. But other combinations could also make sense. The important thing is to have a doctor who is aggressive in trying them out. I f the doctor you are seeing now isn't, take the initiative to ask him/her about these options, and if the doctor is not receptive to this then change doctors.

If you are overweight or smoke, losing weight and stopping smoking are also obvious priorities.

Also, minimize your caffeine and alcohol intake as much as possible.

Don't mean to alarm you, but a diastolic BP of 110 is a serious threat and needs to be treated as such. Good luck.

Thanks sheryl

I'm seeing a doctor here in Thailand at the moment. At the moment i'm only on low doses of both drugs.

I have an appointment to see him again on 24/05/07 and i will make sure i mention your advice.

Never smoked in my life.

Yes, i am overweight !!! Bought cardio exercise machine today.

No more than 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day.

Occasional Beer.

I only eat half the amount that my wife and kids eat, so i guess it must be down to regular exercise.

Regards

Jaiyenyen

Hi Jaiyenyen,

Although some people may have the same problem, I think bleeding nose is not a thing to not worry about. It means that small blood vessels can't sustain the pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure may have negative consequences.

Sheryl's suggestions are very reasonable. You need to keep your blood pressure under control. There are many types of blood pressure medications. And you need a good doctor to choose a suitable medication (or combination of meds) for you.

Hi All

Any advice please?

Regards

Jaiyenyen

First things first ... see how your BP is when this happens...

I often get minor nosebleeds after long flights .... and it happens often in the first weeks I am in Denver. I have only had bad nosebleeds on those odd occassions ... like broken noses :o

If you are on a blood thinner at all or have had aspirin or alcohol previous to a bleed it will be worse than if you haven't.

Good luck ... get it checked out .. but don't panic!