Obtaining passport for Thai child

sampson

My girlfriend wants to get her Daughter a passport and take her out of the country later in the year.  She was under the impression from a previous visit to a Gov. department that she would need the Father's permission which would be very difficult to obtain

Today she went to some Government office (lost in translation to be honest where she went) and they told her as they weren't married she doesn't need his permission, can get a passport and take her daughter where she wants.  Is this true?  

I would guess this would be true but if a fathers name is on the Birth Certificate it might prove more difficult. I have sole custody over my son and I did not have to have the mother present when I got his Passport

If not married when her child is born she has sole custody over her child that is Thai law, if married after that may make a difference

Edited by offset
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just in case anybody else ever searches for the answer to this:

Thai GF obtained papers from her local Government office showing that she had sole custody of her daughter (she was not legally married to the Father which I think made it easier)

She then went to Bangkok and got the passport on a same day service no problem

Process was not difficult

On 2/11/2021 at 5:28 AM, MikeyIdea said:

I have many Thai Thai friends who have taken out passports for their kids. Both father and must sign nowadays unless sole custody can be proved. The law works in this case

My son was 15 and born, lives in UK and needed to renew his Thai passport. As father I needed to attend the RTE in Queensgate with his mother (my ex-wife) to renew his passport. This will be last time as apparently after 20yrs old they can do it themselves.

The law in most Asian countries is that only the mother gets custody automatically at birth - the father needs to prove his commitment as a father by marrying the mother (or being married to the mother) or requesting to be recognised as a legal father. This process is there to protect the child.    

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

My son was 15 and born, lives in UK and needed to renew his Thai passport. As father I needed to attend the RTE in Queensgate with his mother (my ex-wife) to renew his passport. This will be last time as apparently after 20yrs old they can do it themselves.

Just a comment

You didn't need to attent because you were the father but because you had legitimized your child. You had either legally married the mother of asked to be legitimized as the father or the child.