Propane Gas Stove

peter991

In my BF's village, home cooking is done outside on a charcoal fire. I am considering buying a propane gas stove for us and his family to use.

Is there a range of stoves available in Issan? What price range? Any suggestions?

Peter

In my BF's village, home cooking is done outside on a charcoal fire. I am considering buying a propane gas stove for us and his family to use.

Is there a range of stoves available in Issan? What price range? Any suggestions?

Peter

Make sure the gaz tank is outside the kitchen and notinside like in most homes here. if it explodes there wounld not be much left of the kitchen or the house.

Single or double rings gaz range go for around 3k + intsllation of the pipe through the wall and some cement work for the gaz tank outside.

I would say max 5k should be more than enough

Peter

Hello,

the wife says that the small one burner type cookers are about Bht 800 -1000 plus gas bottle about Bht 500 - 800. thats the one in the pic if you can make it out.

post-18138-1179120401_thumb.jpg

the wife says that the small one burner type cookers are about Bht 800 -1000 plus gas bottle about Bht 500 - 800.

I agree with these prices. Basic stoves are from 500 up to 3,000 Baht from Big C etc. Spending about 1,000 Baht will get a nice model, no need to spend a fortune as you might be replacing it due to damage or loss at some point. Most has build in piezo-electric ignition.

You suggest at an outside cooking area, you might want to consider some security for the gas tank, a padlock and chain might be wise. Also consider where you are locating the gas bottle, out of direct sun light is good, not too close to where the wood burning stove will be used is important.

After buying the gas bottle, refills are about 200 Baht. Generally there is a local shop that runs a delivery/exchange service. If you are out in the sticks having a second (or smaller) reserve bottle for when the main one runs out is a good idea - however few Thais will think that far ahead and default to wood stove. If you have a spring balance you can weigh how much gas you have left - the wise write the telephone number of the gas supplier on the bottle - makes replacements easier.

Making the change from burning wood/charcoal will also involve introducing some form of cooking table. There are gas cookers that come built on waist high tables but you are paying over the odds for these "legs", better get a useful solid table - consider the working surface, metal rather than wood (burns!). Also if outside - beware of wind blowing out the gas, an issue if not planned for will result in the bright idea of a banana leaf weaved panel - they also burn well.

Getting the users of the new cooker used to turning the gas off at the bottle rather than rely on stove's gas controls is wise. Over time the connecting hose between bottle and stove can degrade in the sun, if you can use a screwdriver repairs are simple.

One thing sure to confuse Brits in particular in all this talk of 'stoves' and 'cookers' is that the products being discussed here are basically hobs - they do not have ovens. The latter don't seem popular in Thailand and one generally seems to have to pay over the odds for a practically sized one - perhaps 20,000 to 40,000 baht for an import.

At the moment we just have a hob (in our case an Italian, stainless steel, 3 burner unit). but I would like the capability to do the occasional roast joint or turkey, which wouldn't fit in the small electric ovens that can be bought in places like Big C. I don't want to pay 30k or 40K but have noticed that Makro have started selling a smaller white enamelled gas cooker with 3 rings plus oven and grill for about 6K. Has anybody tried one of these? How far does a cylinder of propane go when the oven is in use?

My neighbor had a standard gas burning upright free standing stove with oven which I borrowed for my annual turkey bake. He reported no excessive gas usage since the gas is only on when using the stove to maintain the temperature once it is reached.

I use a convection glass roaster for my brownies or other baking needs, minimum.

but have noticed that Makro have started selling a smaller white enamelled gas cooker with 3 rings plus oven and grill for about 6K. Has anybody tried one of these? How far does a cylinder of propane go when the oven is in use?

We have had one of these ovens (without grill) for 7 years. The cost then was Bht 5,000. There is a fundamental problem that the oven is not insulated which results in an excessive use of gas to maintain a high temperature and the outside surface becomes very, very hot.

While Makro, Big C and Tesco carry several brands of these simple gas H.O.B. cook tops you might obtain a wider selection, better price, free assembly and a wider choice of safety devices from an independent appliance store. I have purchased several double burner LUCKY FLAME model AT 402 for family members and we use one currently in our rental unit. This model is stainless steel which supports two pan shelves and the two burners. This company has a web site and has the largest market share in Thailand.

www.luckyflame.co.th Most of the independent appliance stores will have a color catalog showing many models and the safety devices. Their enclosed "range" did not seem as well constructed as a General Electric range, yet it was not near the price. You could spend huge money on European imported H.O.B.'s but for a Thai family to take a step up from charcoal or even from a single burner to a double burner "name" brand such as Lucky Flame will be very much appreciated. Have you ever waited at the family house for a meal while they cook one pan at a time? The Double burner is a great gift. When we run out of cooking gas the wife makes a phone call and a tuk tuk delivery vehicle is at the rented house in about 15 minutes. A "medium" tank refill is 170 baht presently in our community.

Of course we still use the charcoal grill to barbecue meats and seafood , but only outside, no longer inside the house.

Kamala Bob