Bank docs for retirement extension based on 800k

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So exactly what happened when you applied for annual extension based on retirement using money in bank method?

You showed bank letter. Perhaps updated balance on the day and photocopies of your bankbook for last 12 months.

And then they said what? ....we want "bank statement" for previous 12 months.

When did this start. If you have obtained extensions previously without this requirement. 

@jollyhangmon if possible same question. Just to  give folk accurate detail of requirements. Was this required previously.

Point being that this has never been required. 

Income method different story.

It happened exactly as you describe. This was for my most recent extension in May 2020. Never asked for it before that.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Issanman said:

I returned visa-exempt with the intention of obtaining a  new non-O with 1 year retirement extension.

Seasoning rules are much shorter for new apps.  In the past, folks went to Savanaket for an O for retirement visa 90 days, then got a one year extension on that, so you just needed the 800k in a Thai bank for the extension, without any seasoning.  Sound more like your trouble will be not being able to leave.  Ask others about switching here.. 

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, moontang said:

Seasoning rules are much shorter for new apps.  In the past, folks went to Savanaket for an O for retirement visa 90 days, then got a one year extension on that, so you just needed the 800k in a Thai bank for the extension, without any seasoning.  Sound more like your trouble will be not being able to leave.  Ask others about switching here.. 

You got that one 'upside down'.

Previously - when borders with Laos were still open - you could indeed apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet (and you could actually also apply for the 1-year Multiple-Entry version of that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement).  Both Visa (the SE 90-day one and the ME 1-year) did provide you with a 90-day permission to stay when entering Thailand.

You could then at the end of that 90-day permission to stay, apply at a local IO in Thailand for the  1-year retirement extension based on that original Non Imm O Visa.  But contrary to what wrote, that required 2 months of seasoning of the +800K funds on a personal Thai bank-account when using the Funds-in-Bank method.  Also, since mid 2020 it became difficult to apply for that 1-year  retirement extension when using the monthly-income transfer method, as IOs started to require 12 months of such transfers (with foreign origins proven) in order to accept such application.

The 2-month seasoning requirement of the +800K (retirement) or +400K (marriage) funds on a personal Thai bank-account, actually forced many that used that Savannakhet issued Non Imm O Visa, to make use of a Fixer Agent for their 1-year extension application (often due to insufficient time to season the funds before their 90-day permission to stay would have expired).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How hard it is to get the one year bank statement depends upon which bank you using. Some can do it while you wait (SCB does that). Bangkok Bank takes about a week to get one.

Bangkok Bank does take a week. Last year I used those statements (plus a copy of course), to prove my income. The statements are usually a few pages long but the International deposits usually stand out. She just went through month by month and added up the amounts to show I had more than enough over the 45,000 threshold. Since I live 70k from the nearest BBK I don't update my book every month so the updates just show parts of months or none at all. No concerns about this last year because the 12 month statements showed everything. This year (last week) a different officer said that the bank needed to provide the monthly amounts on a separate paper, month by month. I indicated that she could just look at the statement and clearly see that the monthly deposits were made. Nope! Back in the car and back to the bank where they did not understand what I needed and could only provide 3 months individual deposits. Back to immigration where I pleaded my case once again, even giving her the phone number of the lady at the bank. After 15 minutes my puppy dog face she finally said go and have lunch and I'll call you in an hour. After an hour and a half, no phone call but went back to Immigration where a closed for lunch sign hung and there were over 50 people sitting outside. When they reopened I went back inside hoping I could catch her eye ahead of all the others. Sat down hoping my day would get better. Noticed groups of ten with a leader helping them sort their passports and hand them to the front ladies. Another 2 hours and I was the only one left. Finally I was called to the desk and the officer showed me that she had personally typed up the monthly deposits. Thank you, thank you. 6 hours at Immigration . I did ask why it was different this year and she said new rules. I asked if the bank knew about the new rules. No. I asked if things may change next year. She said it's always changing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Issanman said:

My IO told me 2 months seasoning is required. 

OK, but are you attempting to to switch from a VOA to a one year extension or just a 90 day?  As stated, MUCH SHORTER, as I needed 400k in 366 days, and 800k in two before and three after to get my 6th extension.  And as far as Savanaket, haven't seen anyone clarify the letter of retirement which is on the list, but difficult for those over 50, but too young for pension. 

Edited by moontang
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Wow - I know Jomtien is probably the most accommodating in all Thailand but this is fantastic.  Do I also need proof of address like a rental agreement and/or telephone bill with my name on it?

You DO need the bank letter for retirement extension if you are doing the 800k route.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

OK, but are you attempting to to switch from a VOA to a one year extension or just a 90 day?  As stated, MUCH SHORTER, as I needed 400k in 366 days, and 800k in two before and three after to get my 6th extension.  And as far as Savanaket, haven't seen anyone clarify the letter of retirement which is on the list, but difficult for those over 50, but too young for pension. 

You don't  "switch from visa on arrival". Your meaning visa exempt entry.

You don't need letter of retirement or pension to be retired and obtain non O.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moontang said:

It's a non O based on retirement and required money in bank on day of application (if using money in bank method). The subsequent extension would be obtained in Thailand and would require seasoning of the 800k two months prior to date of application.

Added note....some folk prefer to obtain the non o retirement outside of Thailand as the funds do need to be shown came from outside of Thailand. 

A non O retirement obtained inside Thailand (from perhaps a visa exempt entry or tourist visa) has requirement of showing money came from outside of Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54