Amazing Thailand

JWRC

I purchased some goods from Chemist warehouse in Australia early December, I have dome this same thing for the last 10 years at least, same order and never a problem. The parcel only contains toiletries, no medicines. I was hoping to receive this for Christmas and I noticed from the tracking number it arrived in Thailand on the 16th December. There was a note on the Tracking to say delivery may be delayed.

After Christmas I kept checking up on the situation and the item was still in Bangkok and hadn't moved. my attempts to contact Australia post didn't work due to their internet site wanting a phone number, which I don't have. Anyhow yesterday I received a letter from the Thai post office, I duly attended the office in my province and was told I had to ring up Bangkok to find out more. I rang Bangkok to be told that I had to go in and get the parcel, which is at least a 3 hours (one way) trip for me,  then I asked why they couldn't deliver. I was told that I had to open the parcel in front of customs. I said I would send a letter authorising them to open it and inspect and could I then arrange for a courier to then pick up the parcel, I would supply the courier with an authorization letter and copy of my passport. The woman I was talking to said I had to attend in person to pay the fees. what fees would they be I ask, well one is a customs inspection fee, the 2nd one is a storage fee for looking after the parcel from the 16th December until now. I was so stunned by this last one all I could say was that's totally ridiculous, the next thing she asks me for my address, I said well you know what that is, you sent me a letter, yes, she said but your accent needs to match up with your details, Whaaaaaat???? If I were not so annoyed I suppose I might find the funny side in all this. For those of you in need of a smile, enjoy.

• Haha 2

In many situations, the staff are "box tickers" and if they cant tick the box nothing is going to happen as they are not allowed to think or act outside that box.

Crazy, hilarious, and downright frustrating, but it is what it is.  TIT

• Like 1

Quite normal if they dont know the value or what is in it. I have been over to BKK for some odd stuff i imported. A fishing reel and some other stuff. Once a combined shipment of paints and other DIY stuff. Sometimes they just pick stuff out and you need to come and validate it. 

The fact that it came from a pharmacy gives them more reason to check it. They just want you to open and explain. Best to bring an invoice with you too what you paid for it.

27 minutes ago, JWRC said:

You are missing the point, I have no objection to it being opened, I do object to at least 7 hours driving and also paying storage for something that they should have dealt with 6 weeks ago.

Yes but they want you to explain what the costs are and what it is. That is just the way it is, its their procedure. It sucks (i been there a few times). But ther is nothing you can do about it. Seen plenty of Thais there too. Its just procedure and they have to do it there. Paying storage too bad but these things happen. You can't expect them to work that fast though 6 weeks is a bit long usually its a few weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Standard procedure if you are unlucky and your parcel is "flagged". I once had to drive from Udon Thani to Nong Khai to open a parcel there, because seemingly Udon Thani doesn't have a customs office. They want to know how much the item is worth and ask to see an invoice or similar.

But I'm used to this from Germany, if customs flags a parcel it's the same procedure, you need to show up in persons at customs and have to open it while they watch, but I think Germany has more customs offices so it's not as far.

Edited by jackdd

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, robblok said:

Yes but they want you to explain what the costs are and what it is. That is just the way it is, its their procedure. It sucks (i been there a few times). But ther is nothing you can do about it. Seen plenty of Thais there too. Its just procedure and they have to do it there. Paying storage too bad but these things happen. You can't expect them to work that fast though 6 weeks is a bit long usually its a few weeks. 

It's a bit like Stone Henge. No body knows why... it just is !