Why Are You Happier In Thailand?

Bluecat

I guess most of us living here are happier than in our home country.

Or we would go back.

But why is it so?

The culture here is quite different than the one of most of us.

Thai people are not easily welcoming foreigners.

I mean foreigners who live here, not the tourists,...

So, why,...?

Cost of life?

Love?

Weather?

The weather

The food

The smiles and way in which you smile with eye contact to show you mean no harm as opposed to the UK way of looking at the floor to prove the same.

The females, even if I only look! (S.O. reading over my shoulder!)

The way in which you can get what you want if you know the steps to take. It's shallow of me to support discriminatory preferential treatment, but if you have your head screwed on you can really win people over very easily, by pushing the right buttons. In the UK, if someone is going to be unhelpful, they will be unhelpful regardless.

The fact that suddenly, my minimum wage job lets me live such a better quality of life.

The fact that the country is not full of Christians, or Christian borne ideals or christian influenced events.

The fact that the country is still developing, and that is exciting to be a small part of.

The feeling that I am being looked at wherever I go just for being farang - I love the attention.

The morning markets and the cheap food.

The rain in monsoon season - fun tok dee.

The fact I cannot understand most of what I hear. I can walk around all day and never be distracted by whispers on the wind - it's just dissonance, and beautiful too.

The diversity within the country, from province to province.

The fact Thailand is neighbours with Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.

The fact that I can stay there so easily, without too much visa hassle.

The fact that in general, Thai culture places such emphasis on manners and politeness. It makes me feel very at ease, as this is a reflection of my personal upbringing.

The fact that there is always something to discover that either excites or intrigues.

Monks.

The heat - keeps me slim.

Lots, lots more.

The weather

The food

The smiles and way in which you smile with eye contact to show you mean no harm as opposed to the UK way of looking at the floor to prove the same.

The females, even if I only look! (S.O. reading over my shoulder!)

The way in which you can get what you want if you know the steps to take. It's shallow of me to support discriminatory preferential treatment, but if you have your head screwed on you can really win people over very easily, by pushing the right buttons. In the UK, if someone is going to be unhelpful, they will be unhelpful regardless.

The fact that suddenly, my minimum wage job lets me live such a better quality of life.

The fact that the country is not full of Christians, or Christian borne ideals or christian influenced events.

The fact that the country is still developing, and that is exciting to be a small part of.

The feeling that I am being looked at wherever I go just for being farang - I love the attention.

The morning markets and the cheap food.

The rain in monsoon season - fun tok dee.

The fact I cannot understand most of what I hear. I can walk around all day and never be distracted by whispers on the wind - it's just dissonance, and beautiful too.

The diversity within the country, from province to province.

The fact Thailand is neighbours with Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.

The fact that I can stay there so easily, without too much visa hassle.

The fact that in general, Thai culture places such emphasis on manners and politeness. It makes me feel very at ease, as this is a reflection of my personal upbringing.

The fact that there is always something to discover that either excites or intrigues.

Monks.

The heat - keeps me slim.

Lots, lots more.

Very well thought out, and very well said OxfordWill. Thanks for that worthwhile contribution. :o

There are pluses and minuses in evey country, so the reason for moving to Thailand is at the heart of the matter. I don't think some farang can go back for financial reasons.

For me the weather is a negative in Thailand, as I moved here from Hawaii. On the other hand, the cost of living is a very big plus.

Additionally, I fell in love in Thailand and remain so.

Thai people, generally, respect or look up to farang deserving of it, while I encountered a great deal of prejudice and jealousy, almost a love-hate attitude from locals in Hawaii.

Otherwise, the plusses and minuses balance out.

:o Very elequently put by Oxford will, but does he think Thailand is a beautiful Country? Having travelled around most of the country, it doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of the UK, or the European Mainland. It is mainly flat and what they call mountains, are just hillocks.

There are many countries with a climate similar to here and as cheap, so why Thailand. What brought the vast majority here in the first place? It is the women of course! or are we still in denial?

Its the food I miss, I do not much care for Thai Cuisine, but everything else as I posted before on a post not so many days ago:

The Weather

The Girls are slimmer and far more beautiful than western women in general

The fact that we treat Thai Women better than Thai men and Thai Women treat Farang men better than Farang Women do

The Wai

The Monks

The Beautiful Temples

The Smiles :D

Tuk Tuks

the Rain, the thunderstorms, getting soaked

The Overnight Trains

The Beaches

The Islands

The Cost of everything (Cheaper)

The MIB on Motorbikes 2 by 2

The Smells

The Bangkok Post for when I want a good laugh about how this place is run

Thai Traditional Costume and shows

Soi 23 :D

Soi 33 :D

The Skytrain

The Health and Safety standards :o

Motorcycle Taxi ranks

The Bulls Head Sunday Roast

The politeness

The fact that I am wished sawadicap at least 3 times on my way to the station by anyone from Monks to the local tramp.

Car Washes

Supermarkets where 3 people will pack your bags and another 3 take it to your car with an Umbrella over you if it is raining

Security Guards and their whistles (they treat them as if they were leathal weapons) and I love the way thet whistle in a code only they understand

The lack of violence (towards westerners) in my 2 years here I have NEVER seen a fight. I would see one EVERY Saturday night in England.

I could go on, but I would say 80% of Thai Customs and traditions I like, I will put up with the 20% I dont like, because I LOVE IT HERE.

Most of all I LOVE my Thai fiance who I will marry in 3 weeks after being together 2 years.

BLISS

All the best, I hope many of you feel the same

TP

:o  Very elequently put by Oxford will, but does he think Thailand is a beautiful Country? Having travelled around most of the country, it doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of the UK, or the European Mainland. It is mainly flat and what they call mountains, are just hillocks.

There are many countries with a climate similar to here and as cheap, so why Thailand. What brought the vast majority here in the first place? It is the women of course! or are we still in denial?

Although I love Thailand as dearly as anyone, can't agree it's the most "beautiful" place I've ever been. For my money, Brazil is hands down, drop-dead beautiful. Especially the Rio area but I wouldn't live there again if given the choice.

Thailand it is for me because of friends, family and food! :D

Its the food I miss, I do not much care for Thai Cuisine, but everything else as I posted before on a post not so many days ago:

The Weather

The Girls are slimmer and far more beautiful than western women in general

The fact that we treat Thai Women better than Thai men and Thai Women treat Farang men better than Farang Women do

The Wai

The Monks

The Beautiful Temples

The Smiles :D

Tuk Tuks

the Rain, the thunderstorms, getting soaked

The Overnight Trains

The Beaches

The Islands

The Cost of everything (Cheaper)

The MIB on Motorbikes 2 by 2

The Smells

The Bangkok Post for when I want a good laugh about how this place is run

Thai Traditional Costume and shows

Soi 23 :D

Soi 33 :D

The Skytrain

The Health and Safety standards :D

Motorcycle Taxi ranks

The Bulls Head Sunday Roast

The politeness

The fact that I am wished sawadicap at least 3 times on my way to the station by anyone from Monks to the local tramp.

Car Washes

Supermarkets where 3 people will pack your bags and another 3 take it to your car with an Umbrella over you if it is raining

Security Guards and their whistles (they treat them as if they were leathal weapons) and I love the way thet whistle in a code only they understand

The lack of violence (towards westerners) in my 2 years here I have NEVER seen a fight. I would see one EVERY Saturday night in England.

I could go on, but I would say 80% of Thai Customs and traditions I like, I will put up with the 20% I dont like, because I LOVE IT HERE.

Most of all I LOVE my Thai fiance who I will marry in 3 weeks after being together 2 years.

BLISS

All the best, I hope many of you feel the same

TP

What else to say, Thailand is beautiful :o

:o Very elequently put by Oxford will, but does he think Thailand is a beautiful Country? Having travelled around most of the country, it doesn't hold a candle to the beauty of the UK, or the European Mainland. It is mainly flat and what they call mountains, are just hillocks.

The only honest bloke of the bunch. It's the women. Low cost of living, relaxed

lifestyle and good food are next.

:o Will, I will be checking your spelling in future. Make a mistake at your peril!

I'm a scouser, you are lucky I can spell at all.

I'm not alone - sound! :D

I prefer Thailand because it beats my home town hands down in every possible way.

My home town? Birkenhead. Enough said.

mbkudu -

No offence but if you really think that you live a sheltered life.

It may be the women 'for the majority' but I assure you many find enjoyment in several dozen other key aspects too!

Your objectives are only a reflection of your qualities, after all.

Whilst identifying with almost all the eloquent points made by others on this thread I have to emphasise one in particular for me.

In the UK (and I am sure it is the same elsewhere) when you are over 50 you are unemployable and if single or divorced facing a grim future indeed. My experience was that the many singles clubs etc were populated by overweight blue rinse ladies whose mammary glands dangled around their knees and some of whom scraped their knuckles on the ground. They all had one attribute in common: they were all looking for true romance and made it clear that the very thought of sex before engagement or even marriage was quite out of the question. "What kind of girl do you think I am"? was a frequent put down. The very thought of sex with one of these "ladies" was enough to qualify one for a good supply of Prozac.

Enter the Kingdom of Thailand. My low self esteem is immediately banished as it becomes clear that I am a very attractive, not so old, man to a wide variety of young ladies, most of whom are more attractive than my erstwhile dream fantasies. I am soon advised by local residents that walking around with a 1000 baht note stuck to my forehead is cheating - but it still feels good. Nuff said??