Changing work permits between companies

Is this a possibility?

If so, what are the procedures and documents required?  Is this considered a new work permit, or the same work permit with different company? Also, would all underlying visa extensions for WP and dependent spouse have to be updated to reflect new employer? 

Thank you for all feedback.

If you change employers you have to get a new work permit and extension of stay based upon working. Your spouses extension for being a member of your family would have to applied for again as well.

Your new employer would have to apply for a work permit and get a work permit application approval letter.

You will need a termination letter from your current employer stating the last day you will be working for them. Then on that date you would cancel your extension and apply for a new extension with supporting documents from your new employer and the work permit application approval letter.

Then after the extension application is accepted your current work permit would have to be canceled and the new one issued.

Your spouses extension would be canceled and they would have to apply for a new extension on the same day your extension is canceled.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

Your new employer would have to apply for a work permit and get a work permit application approval letter.

Thank you for helpful response.  How long does this new work permit application and approval process takes.  Can it be done quickly within a day or two, or does it take several weeks?

Thanks for any advice.

3 minutes ago, hapark said:

Can it be done quickly within a day or two, or does it take several weeks?

The work permit application approval letter might take a week. The extension cancelation and a new extension application only takes a few hours at most.

I had five Work Permits in Thailand. The processing time varied from four days to four months.  At the employer where it took four months, I was the first foreigner they had ever hired. The key variable seems to be the knowledge and preparation of the personnel officer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you change employers you have to get a new work permit and extension of stay based upon working. Your spouses extension for being a member of your family would have to applied for again as well.

You will need a termination letter from your current employer stating the last day you will be working for them. Then on that date you would cancel your extension and apply for a new extension with supporting documents from your new employer and the work permit application approval letter.

Then after the extension application is accepted your current work permit would have to be canceled and the new one issued.

Your spouses extension would be canceled and they would have to apply for a new extension on the same day your extension is canceled.

Hi Ubonjoe,

Not sure if need to create a new thread, but might just be easier to ask my question on this one. I too may have to switch employers here in Bangkok; if that's the case,
1. I assume I don't have to leave the country to do that with all that's going on everywhere.
2. My visa, do I need to cancel that or can it still be used for the new work permit?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

Not sure if need to create a new thread, but might just be easier to ask my question on this one. I too may have to switch employers here in Bangkok; if that's the case,
1. I assume I don't have to leave the country to do that with all that's going on everywhere.
2. My visa, do I need to cancel that or can it still be used for the new work permit?

1. No need to leave the country to change employers.

2. Are you on the 90 day entry from a non-b visa or you on an extension of stay based upon working. Immigration does not cancel visas. The can only cancel a permit to stay or a extension of one.

If on a extension of stay your existing extension would have to be canceled to apply for a new one with supporting documents from your new employer.

Prior to applying for a new extension of stay your new employer would have to apply for your new work permit and get a application approval letter that would be used for new extension application. Then after the extension application is done your current work permit would be canceled and the new one issued.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. No need to leave the country to change employers.

2. Are you on the 90 day entry from a non-b visa or you on an extension of stay based upon working. Immigration does not cancel visas. The can only cancel a permit to stay or a extension of one.

If on a extension of stay your existing extension would have to be canceled to apply for a new one with supporting documents from your new employer.

Prior to applying for a new extension of stay your new employer would have to apply for your new work permit and get a application approval letter that would be used for new extension application. Then after the extension application is done your current work permit would be canceled and the new one issued.

Thank UbonJoe,

I have a Non B for one year extension. So, if they cancel that, I can apply for a new 90 days visa (then year extension) for the new employer, without leaving the country?

Just don't want to agree to a new job and find that I have to leave the country, quarentine etc.

6 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

I have a Non B for one year extension. So, if they cancel that, I can apply for a new 90 days visa (then year extension) for the new employer, without leaving the country?

So you are on the 90 day permit to stay from a non-b visa and have never applied for an extension of it?

If you have a a 90 day non-b visa entry your current employer would have to give you permission to extend the 90 day entry for one year using supporting documents from the new employer.

As I wrote before immigration does not cancel visas.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

So you are on the 90 day entry of a non-b visa and have never applied for an extension of it?

If you have a a 90 day non-b visa entry your current employer would have to give you permission to extend the 90 day entry for one year.

As I wrote before immigration does not cancel visas.

No, I am on a full year. Was originally 90 days, then extended for a whole year.  Hope that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

No, I am on a full year. Was originally 90 days, then extended for a whole year.  Hope that makes sense.

You do not have a valid visa of any kind since it expired long ago. You are now on a one year extension of stay that has to be canceled before you can apply for a new extension of stay with supporting documents from your new employer and the work permit application approval letter as I wrote before.

• Like 1