Import Tax and Duty? Where can I get clear information in English

OneMoreFarang

How is the situation if someone brings something in person to Thailand on an international flight?

If duty is collected how if the freight cost calculated?

Let's say if I import something with 1kg weight and it's part of my normal luggage. Do I still have to pay duty and tax on some imaginary freight cost?

Thanks

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How is the situation if someone brings something in person to Thailand on an international flight?

Let's say if I import something with 1kg weight and it's part of my normal luggage. Do I still have to pay duty and tax on some imaginary freight cost?

Thanks

Depends if they need some extra cash....

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Just an observation but have all the vexed people on here had any experience of importing stuff into their home countries?

Personally I wasn't back "home" for a long time. And when I was still there there was no need to import anything. I just bought things in local shops. ???? 

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I wasn't back "home" for a long time. And when I was still there there was no need to import anything. I just bought things in local shops. ???? 

happy for you but thats off point

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Not in the original packaging, packed in with your underwear. Go through the green lane ask if they would like to x-ray your suitcase. (which they have already done). 

I have two camshafts and an exhaust for a Vespa.

Oh and an RC jet boat from Aus. which I carried in a large box, turned inside out,  that looked to me like an RC jet-boat. I did however much to the amazement of the model shop ask for the RC controller to be removed from the box. That was in my suitcase in case the Thai customs guy/gal had a teenage son!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I recently had to pay customs duty on a parcel containing several low value items that my sister had sent over at xmas for the kids/grandkids.

The parcel had been sent via Thailand Post and rather than just pay up I said I didn't agree with the estimated value (the exact value was displayed on the accompanying customs declaration). The post office provided a form which I duly filled out and I supplied copies of receipts for all the items which matched the declared customs value. The post office then sent the form plus receipts back to the customs for re-assessment and a couple of weeks later I called the post office and was told my parcel was now back with them for collection.

When I went to collect it I was given a form which basically said that they had reviewed my documents and as such their decision was ............. to charge me exactly the same as they originally asked for.

So supplying receipts that showed the true value of the items made absolutely no difference, they had decided and that was it.

I'd gone to the trouble of getting the actual receipts sent over in the mean-time in anticipation of them saying they wanted the actual receipts and not the copies before they would change their value assessment , but no, they weren't budging from their estimated value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Generally, if it's not booze or tobacco (well defined limits) the customs chaps at the airport aren't really interested, anything else tends to get filed under "too hard". But I'd still make it look "used" (lose the original packing etc.).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

^ 731.27+47.85=$779.12 x 30= 23,373.6 x 30%=7,012

Then 23,373 +7,012 = 30,385 x 7% = 2126

7,012+2126= 9138. Not exact but close enough. They used a different exchange rate. 29.xx

Not stung. Simply normal import duty + VAT.

Thank you very much for explaining how taxes and customs are imposed on imported goods. It explained to me why I had to pay 3.200 THB to the customs office (in Mae Hong Son) for importing some different cremes for ladies, nearly free of chemicals, and fine soaps from a German compnay. The invoice of the company was 211,xx€ , including 25 € DHL fees, for a package below 5 kg.

BTW, this package „rested“ nearly 5 weeks in the BKK-airport customs until the sister of my wife woke the officers up by a call.

Edited by puck2

I avoid purchasing anything from the US or Europe, and if it's not available locally, I get it from China. Taxes are usually lower (or there aren't any) since they'll be put a low semi-random prices on the invoices. That works for small packages. For larger package, customs are much more likely to open it, and check it out. If you can't provide an invoice, they'll use whatever price then find on the net, and also charge a fee because of the fake invoice (I think I paid a 500 Baht fee of few times). In other times, there's paperwork involved, and for people outside of Bangkok it's usually not worth the hassle. I lost a 3D printer, two TV boxes, and a mini PC that way.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, DaLa said:

We import whole containers so it's worth us using an agent. If you are planning on importing regularly I would suggest you do the same to avoid any surprises. Cost of agent will be dependant on the value of your imports.  I can send you details of our agent and then you have a starting point for likely costs. 

Forgot to add...just like Immigration it also depends at which location  the import takes place.

"Cost of agent will be dependent on the value of your imports" id get another agent!!! Its no more work to clear a 40' container with $1000.00 usd of toilet paper than one with $10,000 usd of razor blades.  The agent does the whole transaction electronically

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nahkit said:

I recently had to pay customs duty on a parcel containing several low value items that my sister had sent over at xmas for the kids/grandkids.

The parcel had been sent via Thailand Post and rather than just pay up I said I didn't agree with the estimated value (the exact value was displayed on the accompanying customs declaration). The post office provided a form which I duly filled out and I supplied copies of receipts for all the items which matched the declared customs value. The post office then sent the form plus receipts back to the customs for re-assessment and a couple of weeks later I called the post office and was told my parcel was now back with them for collection.

When I went to collect it I was given a form which basically said that they had reviewed my documents and as such their decision was ............. to charge me exactly the same as they originally asked for.

So supplying receipts that showed the true value of the items made absolutely no difference, they had decided and that was it.

I'd gone to the trouble of getting the actual receipts sent over in the mean-time in anticipation of them saying they wanted the actual receipts and not the copies before they would change their value assessment , but no, they weren't budging from their estimated value.

yup..... thats it....

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, Mouser.

The shipping was supposed to be free. But I was charged 10% duty plus 7% tax on imaginary 2,520 THB shipping cost...

And obviously also duty and tax on the parts which I bought. I understand that part.

Well , now we are warned . Thanks !!

I was waiting to order at Mouser after reading this last year :

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188568-delays-in-customs-processing-through-dhl/#comments

But mouser seems to deliver by UPS.

Free delivery above 1600B/50$.

My order as I stands now would be over 5.000 THB.

I don't want to pay 60 % on that !

And because of corona , I can't go home every 2 years to buy it there.

BTW , looking at your order , are you by any chance Edgar77 on another forum ?

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

Well , now we are warned . Thanks !!

I was waiting to order at Mouser after reading this last year :

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188568-delays-in-customs-processing-through-dhl/#comments

But mouser seems to deliver by UPS.

Free delivery above 1600B/50$.

My order as I stands now would be over 5.000 THB.

I don't want to pay 60 % on that !

And because of corona , I can't go home every 2 years to buy it there.

BTW , looking at your order , are you by any chance Edgar77 on another forum ?

I think I read there is no duty if the value is below 800THB. Then you have to pay for shipping but maybe the total is still cheaper - maybe.

Or buy a lot because the shipping probably doesn't get much more expensive because electronic parts are often light.

My bill was high because Thailand decided my imagined shipping cost is about 2500 THB. I guess you can ship a lot and the shipping won't get more expensive (I think...).

I think when I checked out from the shopping from Mouser they had a couple of couriers. I selected DHL because I had good experience with them before. Maybe other shipping companies are better in regard to duty. I don't know - but I like to learn.

I often buy electronic parts in Thailand from http://www.es.co.th/index.asp

They don't have a huge selection but it's not too bad.

Another interesting supplier might be this one. https://lcsc.com/

I didn't try them until now. They are together with https://easyeda.com/ which produce inexpensive PCBs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeall said:

yeah yea we all know whats going on, however, how does lazada and shoppe import goods without the heavy import tax?   hmmm thnk about that.....  

In my case the duty was only 10%. Plus 7% VAT. The bill is above.

The big problem was and is that they also added that 10% on the shipping cost. And even if I didn't pay anything for shipping the shipping cost which they used was very high. 2520 THB shipping for probably less than 0.5kg.

So if companies like Lazada import a lot, maybe even delivered by sea with containers, the shipping and duty on shipping will be a lot cheaper.

You can see the shipping costs when you check out right before you pay for the items.

I ordered an exhaust system for my bike from the US and had a little problem because they usually charge around $ 200 for tax only; the item is $ 450, plus $ 100 for USPS shipping.

Almost 800 bucks for some pipes? No way. 

Then there's a winter sale, and I could get them for $ 340. 

Some sellers rip their customers off and charge way more for the shipping than it costs.

You can check how much a certain weight will cost on each parcel service website before you pay such an insane sum. 

Next time, get in touch with the seller, tell them to write $ 60 as the price for the item on the invoice, and you will pay a lot less.

Instead of $ 200, I paid 840 baht in tax for the exhaust, and the USPS shipping was 90 bucks. That was okay for me and I'd have thought it will also work for you. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Confused 1

It is not as cut and dry as you might think... I could never get a straight answer bringing things into USA... it depended on what the customs agent "sees" when he opens the package... then goes to look up the item he sees in a huge book... 

Costume jewellery - no duty

handmade jewellery - no duty

sterling silver - 27% 

And they do not like being questioned... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 2/13/2021 at 5:27 AM, CharlieH said:

Have you read the information and used the calculators freely available at the top of this forum ?

Also as a general rule CIF applies, thats COST, INS, FREIGHT + Vat x 7% TAX 

IF some or any of those figures are not provided on official invoice it leaves them to "guesstimate" at will, until you PROVE otherwise.

At the top of this forum?

20 hours ago, Ferdinando said:

Yep, I have just been stung badly as well. I purchased two motorbike helmets from www.motardinn.com (Icon brand, I could not find them in Thailand). The original purchase price was $731.27 USD with $47.85 USD shipment charges. Then, I did something stupid - I picked Thailand Post instead of DHL in selecting the courier.

I live in Hua Hin, I had to go to Prachuap Town customs, 85 Km away, to pay duties and pickup my parcel. 9,026 Baht later, I finally got it.

You did the right thing. If you used DHL it would've been triple the price or more!!

10 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

You can see the shipping costs when you check out right before you pay for the items.

I ordered an exhaust system for my bike from the US and had a little problem because they usually charge around $ 200 for tax only; the item is $ 450, plus $ 100 for USPS shipping.

Almost 800 bucks for some pipes? No way. 

Then there's a winter sale, and I could get them for $ 340. 

Some sellers rip their customers off and charge way more for the shipping than it costs.

You can check how much a certain weight will cost on each parcel service website before you pay such an insane sum. 

Next time, get in touch with the seller, tell them to write $ 60 as the price for the item on the invoice, and you will pay a lot less.

Instead of $ 200, I paid 840 baht in tax for the exhaust, and the USPS shipping was 90 bucks. That was okay for me and I'd have thought it will also work for you. 

That might work with some sellers.

When I bought my electronic parts they show shipping as free is the parts cost at least 1600THB. The Thai duty and tax department decided the shipping cost imaginary 2500 THB.

And a big company like Mouser won't change anything on their invoice for a little guy somewhere at the other end of the world.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I read there is no duty if the value is below 800THB. Then you have to pay for shipping but maybe the total is still cheaper - maybe.

Or buy a lot because the shipping probably doesn't get much more expensive because electronic parts are often light.

My bill was high because Thailand decided my imagined shipping cost is about 2500 THB. I guess you can ship a lot and the shipping won't get more expensive (I think...).

I think when I checked out from the shopping from Mouser they had a couple of couriers. I selected DHL because I had good experience with them before. Maybe other shipping companies are better in regard to duty. I don't know - but I like to learn.

I often buy electronic parts in Thailand from http://www.es.co.th/index.asp

They don't have a huge selection but it's not too bad.

Another interesting supplier might be this one. https://lcsc.com/

I didn't try them until now. They are together with https://easyeda.com/ which produce inexpensive PCBs.

Yes I buy at es.co.th too (5 times now) , they are great with good prices , easy website but limited selection . Friendly in Ban Moh store.

If it wasn't for the "rona , we could do a group buy at Mouser get it delivered to a like minded in a non sale tax US state and he (she) could bring it over and beat them at their own taxing game . Electronic parts are small and lightweight , so easy to bring to Thailand in your luggage.

I would/could do it but there's a 21 % vat in my country and prob some import fee.

And of course with the 'rona , no flying possible , so stranded here.

Edited by FlorC

The key takeaway for you is to avoid the big courier service providers - DHL / FedEx / UPS.

They're a magnet for Thai customs. 

Furthermore, DHL acts as the agent on your behalf to take care of the (import) customs clearance formalities, 

so their surcharges can also quickly add up.

Try to use a registered mail service or postal service to ship your goods into Thailand next time.

USPS / Royal Mail / EMS can usually get through unscathed.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, nahkit said:

This has me worried now. I was hoping the Tax was only for items purchased online from a foreign company.

Sitting in the middle of my floor in Ireland right now is a half full box of Clothes. Wifey has taken all the tags etc off and she is sending them for her Niece who is about 7/8. She has been gathering it together for last year or so, anytime she sees a bargain. She would normally carry them in a suitcase to deliver. But with Covid we have no idea as to when we can travel again and she is worried that they will be to small if we wait too long. It will cost €70 - €80 as it is to Post it, which is similar to the value. Another Tax on top will be very excessive. Maybe if she writes the address in Thai, it might throw them off the track as they will know it is just coming from a Thai and not a foreign company.

11 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

This has me worried now. I was hoping the Tax was only for items purchased online from a foreign company.

Sitting in the middle of my floor in Ireland right now is a half full box of Clothes. Wifey has taken all the tags etc off and she is sending them for her Niece who is about 7/8. She has been gathering it together for last year or so, anytime she sees a bargain. She would normally carry them in a suitcase to deliver. But with Covid we have no idea as to when we can travel again and she is worried that they will be to small if we wait too long. It will cost €70 - €80 as it is to Post it, which is similar to the value. Another Tax on top will be very excessive. Maybe if she writes the address in Thai, it might throw them off the track as they will know it is just coming from a Thai and not a foreign company.

It seems for you it would be best to ship it with a "cheap" option - not courier like DHL, etc.

And maybe make it look unprofessional like an old box, lots of tape, handwriting, ...

And you can declare is a gift - but I am not sure if customs care about that. 

• Like 1