A Covid Odyssey

durhamboy

Thanks, I enjoyed reading it, very interesting.

I speak with my sister in the UK quite frequently, & it sounds horrendous. People not wearing masks & wanting "freedom".

The mask wearing & temperature checking isn't bothersome, but then as you say, look at the numbers of UK cases.

Bet you're glad you missed the vile UK winter they're experiencing at the moment.

Chok dee!

• Like 2

Sounds like you made the right decision, for the short/medium term anyway. I have my fair share of gripes living in Bangkok, but it's not that bad.

Did you live in Thailand previously? Was it not possible after 8 years in the UK to get your wife permanent residency? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarleyMarl said:

Sounds like you made the right decision, for the short/medium term anyway. I have my fair share of gripes living in Bangkok, but it's not that bad.

Did you live in Thailand previously? Was it not possible after 8 years in the UK to get your wife permanent residency? 

Yes we lived in Thailand for over a year c.2012 whilst we got married and sorted her initial UK visa e.g. English test etc.

It was not possible for my wife to get ILR (permanent residence) until she reaches 65 years old. Up to that point she would have to pass the Life in the UK test (LITUK). She studied it for 2 years and took the test twice and failed. She got around 50% when the passmark is 75% so she was well short of it. I didn't want to put her through it anymore. The thing that really bugs me about it is that the vast majority of Brits (at least 90% I would say) could not pass the test without any preparation so the UK Govt is expecting foreigners to know more about the UK than its own citizens! Absolute disgrace. Btw, I don't have to do a Life in Thailand test - there isn't one.

• Like 1

Even I have a profound knowledge of the UK (after all, I once spent almost 24 hours there, when I was a kid)  I failed LITUK. I confused Charles and Phillip ...

But i got 66.67% (Christianity started in the UK in the 3rd and 4th century,  not in the 2nd and 3rd century or in the 4th and 5th century - that's rather obvious, isn't it? Didn't your wife learn this at school in Khon Kaen??)

I heard Big Joke is currently designing a test Life in Thailand.

To be taken when you report 90 days. 

• Like 1