The Joke That Backfired

peter991

The joke that backfired

Whilst most people would see nothing humorous about a terrorist attack, it seems an increasing number of people are finding jokes to make about them. In Manila, Philippine airport police were far from laughing when an Italian man made the mistake of joking to police that he was a member of Osama Bin Laden's terrorist group and had three nuclear bombs in his pocket.

Salvini Fabrizio, 58, was asked by an airport police officer to empty his pockets as part of a security search prior to boarding a Cathay Pacific flight heading to Hong Kong on Wednesday. Upon the police’s request, he replied "I have three nuclear bombs in my pocket and I belong to the group of (Osama) Bin Laden." The police officer was not amused and Fabrizio was arrested for making a false bomb threat. He remains in police custody and could face two to three years in jail and a fine of up to 10 000 pesos (AUD $256).

The Philippines, which have been subject to a number of attacks from extremists this year and, as a result, security has been tightened at airports and other transport centres.

Signs have also been posted at the airport warning that making jokes about bombs is a crime and that violators will be charged.

Prior to this incident, two separate incidents involving a Frenchman and a Filipino couple resulted in their persons being removed from the plane after they made jokes about carrying bombs.

Peter

I was actually at the Manilla Airport on Wednesday and the signs were all over the place - to the point of being in your face regarding that 'No joking about bombs'

Probably the prevalence of the signs caused the guy to set off some wisecracks

I didn't see the incident - but it was a pretty high stressed and over crowded airport aka American style - one of those places that you want to get out of as quick as possible

Probably the prevalence of the signs caused the guy to set off some wisecracks

Or the absence of a brain.

Most of us by our tenth birthday get it that you don't make bomb jokes at an airport.

The other thing about this behaviour is the possibility of ALL international

airlines having a kind of common " blacklist " ? After all would you want

him as a passenger on your airline ? He may never be able to fly again ? :o