I have a Thai friend in the USA that wants me to make a visa for her daughter. I'm not in love with her and do not plan on marrying her. Is this even possible? Is this way too much hassle to mess with? Honestly I know nothing about the process so was looking for some sort of FAQ I could read. Currently in Thailand until next week.

The US Embassy in Bangkok has plenty of info about Visa's on their website. I don't the the link handy, but a google search should find it for you.

Basically, there are two ways that you could help get this girl to the US. The first is a Fiance visa. Unless you are really planning to marry her, this is not a good idea.

The second way is to act as her sponser when she applies for a Tourist visa. Again, there are potential problems. If she overstays, you will be responsible. I don't know what, if any, consequences there would be, but you should keep this in mind.

I dont' mean to discourage you from helping a friend, but unless you are going to become a family member, there are some potential problems.

If the Thai friend already in the USA cannot initiate the application to bring her "daughter" to the USA, there is something wrong. Is the "mother" there illegally? Is the "daughter" really a blood relative daughter? Or is the mother not a U.S. citizen as yet? You need to check all this out and get the facts before you start making applications as you might end up breaking the law with serious consequences to yourself.

I have a Thai friend in the USA that wants me to make a visa for her daughter. I'm not in love with her and do not plan on marrying her. Is this even possible? Is this way too much hassle to mess with? Honestly I know nothing about the process so was looking for some sort of FAQ I could read. Currently in Thailand until next week.

Too much hassle IMHO. Something seems fishy with the whole thing. How old is the daughter ?

Daughter is 27. Attractive, but i'm really not interested in her. Her mother really should do some footwork on this. She was here in Thailand a few months ago and did nothing. Mom has no email and has called me once during my month long stay here in LOS.

It would appear that your friend is hoping you will get her daughter a fiancé or spousal visa. This is probably because it is difficult for naturalized US citizens to get adult children in and it can take even longer for green card holders to do so. It is up to you what to do, but could be a slippery slope if you decide to participate.

The advice given on tourist visa was incorrect; a US citizen cannot “sponsor” a tourist visa. The applicant is judged solely on the proof provided that they will return to country of origin.

TH

I went through something similar some months ago. A Thai friend here in Thailand has a sister in the United States, who runs a restaurant. The sister's husband had died, and she needed help running the restaurant. She wanted her nephew, my friend's son (a qualified chef), to come to the USA and help her. The U.S. Embassy advised that the Aunt must apply from the United States, and that the nephew could not apply here. In the end the nephew was refused the visa because he did not have enough time as a chef, but if he had the indications were that he would have been approved.

In this case the daughter is considered a closer relation than a nephew, and the mother is the one who should apply. But as lovelycutie says, if the mother is either naturalized or a green card holder, it will take some time. If marriage is not the route you want to go, then just tell the mother that you consulted the embassy and they told you that she must initiate the application to be=ring her daughter to the USA.