Multi Entry OA Visa

Hi all,

Currently a "newbie" Aussie Expat living in Thailand on my OA Multi entry OA Visa (valid until 11 November 2021).

I am looking for some advice about when my Visa is getting close to expiry.

My understanding is I can leave and re-enter Thailand prior to the expiry of my current Visa and it gets renewed for another 1 year so I basically get a one year "free" extension upon re-entry is this correct?  (assuming many of the international travel restrictions will be eased somewhat later this year).

What about the compulsory private health insurance in relation to the extra one year? (I assume this is obviously still a requirement) How have people juggled this in the past because the expiry date of the health insurance and the Visa date will be different and this may cause some headaches after the extra one year is up etc.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you do not have the required insurance you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you have insurance but if it is valid for less than a year you will stamped into the country to the date it ends.

I can confirm that. I had a policy thet started on Dec 8th, the day of arrival for my original flight. I had to reschedule twice and entered Thailand on Feb 14th. My permission to stay was granted only until Dec 8th, the expiration date on my policy.

My agent had told me that the policy did not go into effect until I arrived in Thailand and would be good for one year from that date and the company is updating my policy to show a start date of Dec 14th,

I will go to Jomtien immigration after quarantine and see if they will change my permission to stay to one full year with the updated policy docs. I'm not real hopeful but it is worth a try.

Edited by Smokin Joe
fixed mistakes
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

I too had the original problem of my insurance starting 11 November 2020 but flights got changed etc. so finally arrived 7th December 2020 and hence my 1 year OA Visa was only stamped as valid until 11 November 2021 (as per my insurance validity) so I basically lost nearly 1 month worth of my Visa (no big deal really).

So Im guessing my best course of action if planning a quick leave and return to Thailand later this year to avail myself of the extra one free year of my Visa (restrictions permitting) it is prudent to update my health insurance renewal date to coincide with my "Visa Run" in late October / early November this year?

Oh.....one last thing......is the 1 year Visa extension given only at Airport Immigration Offices or can it be done at land borders also?

Thanks again

Edited by StevePettman

15 minutes ago, StevePettman said:

Oh.....one last thing......is the 1 year Visa extension given only at Airport Immigration Offices or can it be done at land borders also?

You get a new one year permit to stay not a extension when you enter the country.

It can be done at a border crossing.

• Like 2