Marriage

jackr

I'm a UK farang and in the throws of marriage to a Thai girl, and we've agreed on the Bangkok option. Can those who have gone through this route give me some advice on exactly the paper work needed by both parties, time taken as well as costs.

Thanks

Hi Jackr, I got married in Kathu, but that was 12 years ago and rules could have changed, but as I remember we needed quite a number of documents, all translated into Thai, like a statement from my employer to prove that I earned enough to support a Thai wife, my divorce settlement from previous marrige, and a lot of other papers.

I think your best choice would be to contact the Thai Embassy at home, they would know :o

A very complete rundown, including costs, is available from the UK Embassy Bangkok at:

LINK

LOP; that is a very good link,the info is very straight foreword and to the point,not a bunch of beating around the bush.

And they are screwing the Brits just as bad as the American embassy is screwing us. Seems like all the tax money spent by the State dept. for consular affairs and all the perks given to the parasites that live off of the US citizen would get you something,,You can get free notary service in any bank and a lot of other places,or maybe at a cost of $5 at some in the USA,but here it costs you $50 after all the money that is spent by the state dept. for the perks.like country club/golf memberships,a new car brought in with out tax every 2 years and about a 24 hr work week, other perks we don't even know about. :o

Clearly Lop's link is a priority for up to date factual information, but I'd also suggest you read Bangkok Angel, a little autobiographical novel by a brit, Mike Smith for a moving personal account of the hassle he had (and ultimate success).